Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing disposal with plain drain

I never use my kitchen garbage disposal because I know it's not good
to put chunky things down the drain to begin with. Plus, it hasn't
worked since I bought the place.
Are there reasons not to completely remove the disposal unit and just
make it into a regular sink drain? Is it as easy as it sounds?

Thanks for any suggestions...
Posted to alt.home.repair
GTS GTS is offline

wrote in message
I never use my kitchen garbage disposal because I know it's not good
to put chunky things down the drain to begin with. Plus, it hasn't
worked since I bought the place.
Are there reasons not to completely remove the disposal unit and just
make it into a regular sink drain? Is it as easy as it sounds?

Thanks for any suggestions...

Nope. I've done it and it was quite easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 2:10*pm, wrote:
I never use my kitchen garbage disposal because I know it's not good
to put chunky things down the drain to begin with. Plus, it hasn't
worked since I bought the place.
Are there reasons not to completely remove the disposal unit and just
make it into a regular sink drain? Is it as easy as it sounds?

Thanks for any suggestions...

Since you don't really use it (it never worked).... I'd find a used
one cheap craigslist & throw it in there.

The time to R&R an similar model is way less than the time to change
over the drain setup you've got.
Plus then you have a working unit when it comes time to rent or sell.

Less work & better outcome all the way around.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 14:10:33 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I never use my kitchen garbage disposal because I know it's not good
to put chunky things down the drain to begin with. Plus, it hasn't
worked since I bought the place.
Are there reasons not to completely remove the disposal unit and just
make it into a regular sink drain? Is it as easy as it sounds?

Thanks for any suggestions...

http://www.hangercity.com/gadisc.html

They make an insert that has a very fine mesh, but I can't find one.

Walmart has one. It is called a sink screen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in news:Ue5lk.144698$102.7665
@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

wrote:
I never use my kitchen garbage disposal because I know it's not good
to put chunky things down the drain to begin with. Plus, it hasn't
worked since I bought the place.
Are there reasons not to completely remove the disposal unit and just
make it into a regular sink drain? Is it as easy as it sounds?

Thanks for any suggestions...

Less work to throw a replacement in there, than to fight with getting
the drain assembly out of the sink? The mounts and dimensions are damn
near universal at this point. If there is a power switch right by the
kitchen window, the absence of the disposal will scream out when you
sell the place.

Not saying you are wrong about disposals being pretty useless- but they
are sort of expected these days. I thought I would miss it when I moved
into this no-disposal house 3 years ago, but that hasn't been the case.
Even in the apartments, I was careful never to choke the thing, but
since this place is on septic, almost everything put water and suds
needs to stay out of the drain anyway.

--
aem sends...

but they are sort of expected these days.

Like a dishwasher. Last 3 places I've had I've fixed them so they work,
ran through a cycle and that was it. Never used it again. For me, I can
do them by hand in 5-8 min vs the DW running for 45-90 minutes. By the
time I got enough dishes to do a load, any food would be bonded to the
dishes at the molecular level. This of course would be after the stink &
rot phase.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 6:31 pm, aemeijers wrote:

the absence of the disposal will scream out when you
sell the place.

The absence of a disposal screams "I don't like having to hire someone
to auger out my main drain every 18 months!" Being in the home-buying
search right now, I would say if a prospective buyer thinks the
absence of a disposal as a deal-killer, you don't want to deal with
them in the sale.

That being said, I would recommend replacing the disposal with
another. While you shouldn't use it regularly to grind food waste, it
does help catch the moderately-sized particles that might otherwise
sit in your trap. I find I run the disposal in my sink about once
every other day, just to get what's hangin' around.