DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sump Basin is always full of water (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/256913-sump-basin-always-full-water.html)

papa smurf July 31st 08 03:19 PM

Sump Basin is always full of water

Hello all. I'm a fairly new homeowner. I purchased a ranch that sits
on about 3 acres of land... This house has had its fair share of
issues for only being 9 years old. It has a basement with two sump
pumps. One I'm sure is connected into the septic system and the other
I believe is intended to divert water that is collected beneath the
house? Anyhow, I have replaced my sump pump for my second time. * I
was lucky to purchase a pump with a lifetime warranty the last go. *
The sump basin is almost always full of water. Would it be safe to
say there is a clog somewhere in the pipe going outside of my property
or even a hole that is causing the water to just filter back into the
basement? My pumps can barely keep up with the constant flow of water
going into the sump basin. There have been occasions where the
electric has gone out, and the basement will flood. (I’m planning to
get a back up pump but that is another story all together.) I know
that water problems should be corrected from the outside in. So I
have made sure to clean my gutters, clear any derbies from the
connecting gutter outlets and made sure everything is properly
diverted away from the house. This has actually helped to keep water
from entering into the basement while the electric is out. However, I
still seem to have a consistent flow of water in the sump basin. Any
suggestions on how I can remediate this problem is much appreciated!

Phil again July 31st 08 03:40 PM

Sump Basin is always full of water

Papa Smurf:

Be aware that due to massive amount of problems with posters from GMAIL,
many readers of this newsgroup filter out all posts that come from @gmail
like your original post.

Your post needs as wide an audience as you can get. There is a remote
chance that the leach field for your septic tank system may be in some
way influencing the extra moisture in your sump pumps.

Also, with 3 acres of land I suspect your sump pumps would be directed to
a dry well (hole in ground filled with rocks and covered with dirt and
sod.) Rain fall in this wet summer may have soaked land around you and
dry well is saturated.

I am not an expert on this. Please post back about where you are
located, i.e.: dry southwest, Upper Midwest, Great lakes region, East
coast shore line. If you are in Iowa flood plain, or Mississippi valley,
go away until next year.

papa smurf July 31st 08 03:52 PM

On Jul 31, 9:40*am, Phil Again wrote:
[...]

I am in Ohio. Unfortunately, leaving home isn't an option for me.
haha... Wish I could sometimes though. I don't know much about the
septic system it's self. Are there any good resources I could tap
into to educate myself before I call people to correct this issue?

dpb July 31st 08 04:09 PM

papa smurf wrote:
Hello all. I'm a fairly new homeowner. I purchased a ranch that sits
on about 3 acres of land... This house has had its fair share of
issues for only being 9 years old. It has a basement with two sump
pumps. One I'm sure is connected into the septic system

That's generally a no-no and undoubtedly would be disallowed by whatever
is the jurisdiction in charge if there were one.

The sump basin is almost always full of water. Would it be safe to
say there is a clog somewhere in the pipe going outside of my property
or even a hole that is causing the water to just filter back into the
basement?

No, if the pipe were shut it wouldn't flow -- what it means is whatever
is the water source is higher than the sump pit. If you're in one of
the super wet areas this summer, more than likely the ground is
saturated and the groundwater level is just below the surface a few feet
and essentially your basement is acting as a boat. Again, if you have
any rise around the house, quitting putting the outflow into the septic
and exhausting it to run away on the surface may help slightly over time.

still seem to have a consistent flow of water in the sump basin. Any
suggestions on how I can remediate this problem is much appreciated!

See above and check w/ locals on what the normal water tables, etc.,
are. There's too little anybody remote can know about the area and the
location and house in particular to do more than just generalize.

dpb July 31st 08 04:18 PM

Sump Basin is always full of water

ransley wrote:
... or even the city inspector.

3A _in_ the city??? :)

ransley July 31st 08 04:19 PM

On Jul 31, 8:52*am, papa smurf wrote:
[...]

into to educate myself before I call people to correct this issue?- Hide quoted text -

It could be many issues and just simply high water level. You need to
get the water sampled to see if it is city water= main break, sewer
water= sewer or septic, or ground water meaning high water table.
Contack your water co, mine would come out for free for ideas and
quick evaluation and know who could test water. I imagine you pay alot
to keep it pumped out. If its just the water table then it will be
hard to fix, only maybe will trees plants, and diverting water help.
You need onsite pro advise your water co may be able to give, or even
the city inspector.

[email protected] July 31st 08 05:46 PM

On Jul 31, 10:09*am, dpb wrote:
papa smurf wrote:
[...]

Agree with all of the above. A sump pump should not be connected
into the septic system as it can put a lot of water into a place where
you don't need it. Sump pump water can be discharged on the surface,
15ft+ from the house. I'd check with neighbors to see what their
experience with ground water has been. Even then, it can vary
significantly from one house to the next. You should check as to
exactly where the water is going when it pumps out and make sure a lot
of it's not running back into the sump pit (check valve).

Your next step may be to bring in a home inspector or similar to
evaluate what is going on as it's impossible to diagnose this by
remote control.

HeyBub[_3_] July 31st 08 09:57 PM

Phil Again wrote:
Papa Smurf:

Be aware that due to massive amount of problems with posters from
GMAIL, many readers of this newsgroup filter out all posts that come
from @gmail like your original post.

I would think the posters from GMAIL would have the problem inasmuch as you
can't post to a newsgroup using GMAIL.

You can post via Google Groups and/or use a return address of a gmail
account, but as far as using gmail itself to post, sorry, can't be done.

Don & Lucille July 31st 08 10:28 PM

Sump Basin is always full of water

Is there a long rise of pipe on the discharge? Is thre a check valve to
prevent the water from coming back?

[email protected] August 1st 08 12:04 AM

On Jul 31, 9:52*am, papa smurf wrote:
[...]

I happen to be in Ohio as well, and I suggest you find a local
professional who knows what he is doing and have him take a good look
at what you have. Local conditions make a big difference in these
situations so you need local advice. Stick with the local codes. Not
doing so is likely to result in a poor job and more bigger problems
later and could kill the deal if and when you decide to move.

jack[_8_] August 1st 08 05:15 AM

Sump Basin is always full of water

It is not uncommon to have really wet basements. My old house used to pump
continually when wet and every few minutes when dry.

The first thing you want to do is find out where you are pumping to, and see
if you can improve on that.

Jerry - OHIO August 1st 08 08:59 AM

Sump Basin is always full of water

A broken pipe will let water to come back into the crock if it isn't
going far away from the house.I would pay to have a drain camera sent
out both sumps.
Is one pump a grinder for a sewer line ?
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

ransley August 1st 08 02:30 PM

On Aug 1, 1:59*am, (Jerry - OHIO) wrote:
A broken pipe will let water to come back into the crock if it isn't
going far away from the house.I would pay to have a drain camera sent
out both sumps.
Is one pump a grinder for a sewer line ?
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Have sump pit water tested to see if its City, Sewer or ground water

papa smurf August 1st 08 03:34 PM

On Jul 31, 4:28*pm, "Don & Lucille" wrote:
[...]

Yes... There is a long pipe that etends to the ceiling and exits just
above the seal plate of the house... The check valve is working
great. I recently purchased a new one and installed it.

ransley August 1st 08 05:54 PM

On Aug 1, 8:34*am, papa smurf wrote:
[...]

great. *I recently purchased a new one and installed it.- Hide quoted text -

How far does it drain away from the house, is house in low area, with
a high water table it might not be far enough. I would not drain into
a septic system also.

starrin August 1st 08 08:09 PM

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 06:34:13 -0700 (PDT), somebody wrote:

Yes... There is a long pipe that etends to the ceiling and exits just
above the seal plate of the house... The check valve is working
great. I recently purchased a new one and installed it.

And where does it go from there. In other words where are you pumping
the water?

mm August 2nd 08 10:06 PM

Sump Basin is always full of water

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 06:19:14 -0700 (PDT), papa smurf
wrote:

Hello all. I'm a fairly new homeowner. I purchased a ranch that sits
on about 3 acres of land... This house has had its fair share of

Hard to read your one fat paragraph. Snipped.

You should ask your neighbors how their basements are doing. It's a
good way to get to know your neighbors and they will probably know a
lot. Start with one and he may introduce you to others who know the
most about a certain problem.

I guess in this case if you can find someone whose property is about
the same height, that would be good, but otoh, I've heard that water
table will go up and down sort of parallel to the ground surface
sometimes. And you can find someone whose house is lower.