Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Magic Jack update

I have solved the echo problem, by turning down the Magic Jack mic and
speaker levels.

Magic Jack also seems to work better using a phone with a power
supply. I think power it takes to ring the phone was causing problems
with the incoming calls. I am pretty sure that having USB 2 is a plus
and I would think a power hub would be even better. The phone I am
using is cordless and has a spare handset so I can make calls from two
locations. I think, with a power hub, it may allow you to back feed
your incoming service from a phone jack and ring all the phones in the
house, but I don't think I will be trying that any time soon.

Since I have started using the new phone, I still made one
unsuccessful out going call. The phone rang once and then I could not
hear the ringing anymore. I hung up and tried again and it worked
fine.

It is not super reliable, but it seems to work satisfactory for 20
bucks a month. I can safely drop my long distance service. Not a big
savings as I make very few long distance calls. It may be able to
replace my phone service, but I am not giving it up yet.

I think it may be a keeper. Still not willing to have the land line
disconnected yet, but I may change to the 17 buck no frills package
and stop paying 35 for caller ID package.

I do have a pre paid phone for emergencies
Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
It is not super reliable, but it seems to work satisfactory for 20
bucks a month. I can safely drop my long distance service. Not a big
savings as I make very few long distance calls. It may be able to
replace my phone service, but I am not giving it up yet.

Hey! That should be $20 per *year* ! Quite a difference! My MJ
was worked very well. Using a Panasonic wireless phone plugged
into it. I've made lots of calls in the past few weeks and it's been
rock solid. The voicemail delivered as email is very handy, too.
Goodbye SBC/ATT landline. I keep a $100 per year GoPhone
for emergencies and road use.

here's a good MJ forum:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/magicjack

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 10:49*pm, "Leroy" wrote:
metspitzerwrote:

Hey! That should be $20 per *year* ! *Quite a difference! My MJ
was worked very well. *Using a Panasonic wireless phone plugged
into it. *I've made lots of calls in the past few weeks and it's been
rock solid. *The voicemail delivered as email is very handy, too.
Goodbye SBC/ATT landline. *I keep a $100 per year GoPhone
for emergencies and road use.

here's a good MJ forum:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/magicjack

I found that one already. Thanks. That is how solved my echo
problem.

Having a voice mail delivered as an email would be more useful if it
were a .mp3 of the voice mail message.

I still haven't figured out how to play the voice mail messages from
the headset I have plugged into the Magic Jack computer.

I can play them from the phone I have plugged into it though.

It would be nice if the software would let you just click on the
message you want to play/delete/save and not have to go through that
recorded menu system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 22:17:16 -0500, metspitzer
wrote:

I have solved the echo problem, by turning down the Magic Jack mic and
speaker levels.

Magic Jack also seems to work better using a phone with a power
supply. I think power it takes to ring the phone was causing problems
with the incoming calls. I am pretty sure that having USB 2 is a plus
and I would think a power hub would be even better. The phone I am
using is cordless and has a spare handset so I can make calls from two
locations. I think, with a power hub, it may allow you to back feed
your incoming service

Be sure to disconnect the phone company lines first.

from a phone jack and ring all the phones in the
house, but I don't think I will be trying that any time soon.

Does Magic have a REN printed on it? You're supposed to be able to use
that to figure out how many phones it'll ring.

Some people have multi-handset cordless phones, so a houseful of
phones can use as little ringer current as one.

Since I have started using the new phone, I still made one
unsuccessful out going call. The phone rang once and then I could not
hear the ringing anymore. I hung up and tried again and it worked
fine.

It is not super reliable, but it seems to work satisfactory for 20
bucks a month. I can safely drop my long distance service. Not a big
savings as I make very few long distance calls.

I don't make many long distance calls now, but I could have used
something like this 15 years ago (no internet connection, calling
BBSes and relatives a lot).

It may be able to
replace my phone service, but I am not giving it up yet.

I think it may be a keeper. Still not willing to have the land line
disconnected yet, but I may change to the 17 buck no frills package
and stop paying 35 for caller ID package.

I like to have caller ID. It helps you to know when not to answer
calls, including calls from unknown businesses (including no name, but
toll-free number), and others.

Recently, there have been a bunch identified as "PENSACOLA, FL" that
have been trying to sell an "extended warranty" on a car more than 10
years old (and don't care I'm on the national do not call list).

I do have a pre paid phone for emergencies

That's the main reason for having my pre paid cell phone.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov

Magic Jack metspitzer Home Repair 16 July 29th 08 08:59 PM
Magic Jack news anyone? John Jones Home Repair 11 May 31st 08 02:12 PM
Magic Jack metspitzer Home Repair 25 May 31st 08 08:48 AM
Magic Jack Review metspitzer Home Repair 2 May 25th 08 02:09 AM
Magic Jack USB phone Terry Home Repair 19 February 14th 08 08:26 PM