Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How can I tell hard from softened water?

I am replacing an ancient water softener which was removed from the pipes 15
years ago.

The house has two water heaters. Apparently there are also some soft water
zones (showers) and hard water zones (kitchen and bar faucets). There are
hot/cold and hard/soft water pipes going in all directions. The pipes are in
the walls.

After I have installed a new softener, how can I determine which faucets
have soft and which ones have hard water?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
I am replacing an ancient water softener which was removed from the pipes 15
years ago.

The house has two water heaters. Apparently there are also some soft water
zones (showers) and hard water zones (kitchen and bar faucets). There are
hot/cold and hard/soft water pipes going in all directions. The pipes are in
the walls.

After I have installed a new softener, how can I determine which faucets
have soft and which ones have hard water?

Thanks

Hi,
Will take a day or two for water tank is filled with softened water.
Take a shower and feel(slippery) or do a load of cloth washing or dish
washing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
I am replacing an ancient water softener which was removed from the
pipes 15 years ago.

The house has two water heaters. Apparently there are also some soft
water zones (showers) and hard water zones (kitchen and bar faucets).
There are hot/cold and hard/soft water pipes going in all directions.
The pipes are in the walls.

After I have installed a new softener, how can I determine which
faucets have soft and which ones have hard water?

Thanks

You can get inexpensive kits to check water hardness.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:02:56 -0700, "Walter R."
wrote Re How can I tell hard from softened water?:

I am replacing an ancient water softener which was removed from the pipes 15
years ago.

The house has two water heaters. Apparently there are also some soft water
zones (showers) and hard water zones (kitchen and bar faucets). There are
hot/cold and hard/soft water pipes going in all directions. The pipes are in
the walls.

After I have installed a new softener, how can I determine which faucets
have soft and which ones have hard water?

Thanks

Use a water hardness test such as this

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/w...ml?ref=froogle

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 6:24*am, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:02:56 -0700, "Walter R."
wrote Re How can I tell hard from softened water?:

I am replacing an ancient water softener which was removed from the pipes 15
years ago.

The house has two water heaters. Apparently there are also some soft water
zones (showers) and hard water zones (kitchen and bar faucets). There are
hot/cold and hard/soft water pipes going in all directions. The pipes are in
the walls.

After I have installed a new softener, how can I determine which faucets
have soft and which ones have hard water?

Thanks

Use a water hardness test such as this

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/w...ml?ref=froogle

Geez, all you need to do is shut off the water to the water softener.
Any faucets that still flow are untreated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
I am replacing an ancient water softener which was removed from the pipes
15 years ago.

The house has two water heaters. Apparently there are also some soft water
zones (showers) and hard water zones (kitchen and bar faucets). There are
hot/cold and hard/soft water pipes going in all directions. The pipes are
in the walls.

After I have installed a new softener, how can I determine which faucets
have soft and which ones have hard water?

Thanks

Get a test kit from the borg or other hardware store. It'll tell you all
sorts of things about the water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Walter R." wrote:

After I have installed a new softener, how can I determine which faucets
have soft and which ones have hard water?

There's a simple chemical test which will show the difference clearly. Fill a
quart jar about half-way with distilled water, and dissolve about 1/4 cup of
Epsom salts in it. Then add a cup of the water you want to test. Soft water
will have no noticeable effect, but hard water will instantly turn the
solution cloudy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
I am replacing an ancient water softener which was removed from the pipes
15 years ago.

The house has two water heaters. Apparently there are also some soft water
zones (showers) and hard water zones (kitchen and bar faucets). There are
hot/cold and hard/soft water pipes going in all directions. The pipes are
in the walls.

After I have installed a new softener, how can I determine which faucets
have soft and which ones have hard water?

Thanks

Turn the water off at the new softener and see which faucets stop
working.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walt,

I'd bet that all of your hot water is softened but if you drain the water
softener and then fill it you should be sure. For the other fixtures get
some clean bottles, let the water run for a minute or so and collect about
1/2 a pint. Take these bottles to Sears and go to the dept. where they sell
water softeners. They'll test your water for free for hardness and iron.
Many other dealers of water softeners will do this too. There are labs that
do this but that's probably overkill here.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am replacing an ancient water softener which was removed from the pipes 15
years ago.

The house has two water heaters. Apparently there are also some soft water
zones (showers) and hard water zones (kitchen and bar faucets). There are
hot/cold and hard/soft water pipes going in all directions. The pipes are in
the walls.

After I have installed a new softener, how can I determine which faucets
have soft and which ones have hard water?

Thanks

One way is to add a very small amount of soap, in equal amounts, to a
given volume of sample. The soft water will suds up, the hard much
less. Also, the softer water will feel more slippery than the hard
water. Take samples to a lab and get quantitative results.