Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attempt to save oil

In article ,
Claude Hopper wrote:

I have hot water off my boiler so it's on all summer running a couple
minutes several times a day weather I use hot water or not.
I'm thinking of putting in a 20 gallon electric hot water heater and
shutting down the boiler for the summers. Would I save much? My boiler
is very efficient.
I was also thinking alternatively , putting point of use electrics.
These are small 120 volt, 29 amp demand water heaters for $149.00 each.
One under the kitchen sink and one under the bathroom sink/shower feed.
Better than a storage tank of hot water? Since the boiler and hot water
tank run weather hot water is used or not verses the point of use
heaters that only run when you are actually using water, might be the
best choice?

120 volts at 29 amps? What are you going to plug those things into? I'd
say you're better off with what you have, anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Claude Hopper" wrote in message
120 volts at 29 amps? What are you going to plug those things into? I'd
say you're better off with what you have, anyway.

A new 30 amp circuit, that's what.

--
Claude Hopper ? 3 7/8

Won't do it. You need a 40A circuit for that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Claude Hopper wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Claude Hopper" wrote in message
120 volts at 29 amps? What are you going to plug those things into?
I'd say you're better off with what you have, anyway.
A new 30 amp circuit, that's what.

--
Claude Hopper ? 3 7/8

Won't do it. You need a 40A circuit for that.

30 Amps will do fine.

For about 15 seconds until the breaker trips...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Claude Hopper" wrote in message
120 volts at 29 amps? What are you going to plug those things into? I'd
say you're better off with what you have, anyway.
A new 30 amp circuit, that's what.

--
Claude Hopper ? 3 7/8

Won't do it. You need a 40A circuit for that.

30 Amps will do fine.

--
Claude Hopper ? 3 7/8

Read the Code and get back to me. And pick up that 40A breaker while you
are at the store. Oh, that 29A is at 120V. How many amps will it draw when
there is a voltage drop on a hot summer day?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Claude Hopper" wrote in message
120 volts at 29 amps? What are you going to plug those things into? I'd
say you're better off with what you have, anyway.
A new 30 amp circuit, that's what.

--
Claude Hopper ? 3 7/8

Won't do it. You need a 40A circuit for that.

30 Amps will do fine.

--
Claude Hopper ? 3 7/8

Read the Code and get back to me. And pick up that 40A breaker while you
are at the store. Oh, that 29A is at 120V. How many amps will it draw when
there is a voltage drop on a hot summer day?

It's a heater. Given fewer volts, will it not draw fewer amps?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Claude Hopper wrote:
George wrote:
Claude Hopper wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Claude Hopper" wrote in
message
120 volts at 29 amps? What are you going to plug those things
into? I'd say you're better off with what you have, anyway.
A new 30 amp circuit, that's what.

--
Claude Hopper ? 3 7/8

Won't do it. You need a 40A circuit for that.

30 Amps will do fine.

For about 15 seconds until the breaker trips...

29 amps will not trip a 30 amp breaker.

Except when it does. The incremental cost of a 40 amp vs 30 amp
circuit should be small, and it eliminates a potential annoyance.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Claude Hopper" wrote in message
120 volts at 29 amps? What are you going to plug those things into? I'd
say you're better off with what you have, anyway.
A new 30 amp circuit, that's what.

--
Claude Hopper *? 3 * * *7/8

Won't do it. *You need a *40A circuit for that.

30 Amps will do fine.

--
Claude Hopper *? 3 * * *7/8

Read the Code and get back to me. *And pick up that 40A breaker while you
are at the store. *Oh, that 29A is at 120V. How many amps will it draw when
there is a voltage drop on a hot summer day?

Yes because some codes say that circuit should be rated so that the
expected load is 80% of the circuit capacity.
Therefore 29/0.8 = 36.25. A 40 amp circuit, required and not good
practice to minimum anyway.
BTW someone mentioned living in a trailer with a 20 gallon tank. Have
done that and if one can get by and discipline how often showers
needed etc. that could be an useful and economic auxiliary. But REALLY
how much oil is used and really how much extra wear and tear on the
boiler is it? Is additional complication worth while even with present
cost of oil versus cost of electrcity?