Windex kills ants but leaves my walls blue (better idea?)

Old July 16th 08, 05:10 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Default Windex kills ants but leaves my walls blue (better idea?)

I have an ant infestation and I spray windex to kill the swarms of tiny
ants but it takes so much to kill ants that the carpets, walls, and grout
turns blue from the dye in the commercial window cleaner.

Do you know if I just buy ammonia and mix it at the correct percentage that
it will still kill ants without staining my carpets blue?

What percentage of ammonia would you use?
Do you know HOW ammonia kills the ants?

Is there a better way to kill an ant infestation?
Old July 16th 08, 05:21 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:10:05 -0700, Susan wrote:
Do you know if I just buy ammonia and mix it at the correct percentage that
it will still kill ants without staining my carpets blue?

Windex isn't ammonia you idiot. It's alcohol!
http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/MSD...eaner_blue.htm

And alcohol has no effect on the ant species. Use bleach instead.
Old July 16th 08, 05:55 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Susan wrote:

I have an ant infestation and I spray windex to kill the swarms of tiny
ants but it takes so much to kill ants that the carpets, walls, and grout
turns blue from the dye in the commercial window cleaner.

Do you know if I just buy ammonia and mix it at the correct percentage that
it will still kill ants without staining my carpets blue?

What percentage of ammonia would you use?
Do you know HOW ammonia kills the ants?

It doesn't at my house.

Is there a better way to kill an ant infestation?

Terro bait stations work wonders, but are expensive. Ortho Home Defense
spray is excellent -- water-based, odorless.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old July 16th 08, 06:29 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

h wrote:
wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:21:38 -0700, David Remley
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:10:05 -0700, Susan wrote:
Do you know if I just buy ammonia and mix it at the correct percentage
that
it will still kill ants without staining my carpets blue?
Windex isn't ammonia you idiot. It's alcohol!
http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/MSD...eaner_blue.htm

And alcohol has no effect on the ant species. Use bleach instead.

Forget all of these nonsense quack cures. Go to any hardware store and
get some TERRO. It will get rid of ALL the ants, not just the ones you
happen to see.

Yup. Terro is it. It used to just come in a bottle and you had to apply it
to cardboard or those plastic ant traps that don't work.

Back then the active ingredient in Terro was arsenic.

Now you can get it
in little plastic containers that you snip a hole in the bottom so the ants
can get in.

Nowdays the active ingredient is boric acid. Still kills ants pretty
well, but it's a lot less hazardous to have around the house than
the arsenic was.

HellT
Old July 16th 08, 06:31 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:10:05 -0700, Susan wrote:
Do you know if I just buy ammonia and mix it at the correct percentage
that
it will still kill ants without staining my carpets blue?

Windex isn't ammonia you idiot. It's alcohol!
http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/MSD...eaner_blue.htm

And alcohol has no effect on the ant species. Use bleach instead.

Forget all of these nonsense quack cures. Go to any hardware store and
get some TERRO. It will get rid of ALL the ants, not just the ones you
happen to see.

Yup. Terro is it. It used to just come in a bottle and you had to apply it
to cardboard or those plastic ant traps that don't work. Now you can get it
in little plastic containers that you snip a hole in the bottom so the ants
can get in. They go in, sup of the poison, then take it back to kill off the
colony. I put some containers out in April and I've watched at least 5
different colonies get wiped out. Tiny red ones, and 4 sizes of black ones.
One container was completely full of giant black ants one morning. I only
noticed it because the container was actually moving, due to all the ants
inside. They emptied that container in 2 days, which is VERY fast. I never
saw them again.

Old July 16th 08, 06:33 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

On Jul 16, 12:10*pm, Susan wrote:
I have an ant infestation and I spray windex to kill the swarms of tiny
ants but it takes so much to kill ants that the carpets, walls, and grout
turns blue from the dye in the commercial window cleaner.

Do you know if I just buy ammonia and mix it at the correct percentage that
it will still kill ants without staining my carpets blue?

You're not killing the ants with ammonia. You're drowning them with
liquid. A spray bottle of water will have the same effect.

What percentage of ammonia would you use?
Do you know HOW ammonia kills the ants?

Same way ammonia kills you.

Is there a better way to kill an ant infestation?

Clean your house. Get rid of any exposed food or put it in sealed
containers. Vacuum up crumbs. Take kitchen scraps and plate scrapings
straight to the trash barrel outside. The ants are there because
there's food. Remove the food, and the ants will not have a reason to
be there, and they will go away.

Kill any stragglers with REAL ant killer. RAID.
Old July 16th 08, 06:44 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Susan wrote:

I have an ant infestation and I spray windex to kill the swarms of
tiny ants but it takes so much to kill ants that the carpets, walls,
and grout turns blue from the dye in the commercial window cleaner.

Do you know if I just buy ammonia and mix it at the correct
percentage that it will still kill ants without staining my carpets blue?

What percentage of ammonia would you use?
Do you know HOW ammonia kills the ants?

Is there a better way to kill an ant infestation?

Yep, use an ant bait.

Old July 16th 08, 07:13 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

David Remley wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:10:05 -0700, Susan wrote:

Do you know if I just buy ammonia and mix it at the correct percentage that
it will still kill ants without staining my carpets blue?

Windex isn't ammonia you idiot. It's alcohol!
http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/MSD...eaner_blue.htm

Be careful about calling someone an idiot.

While alcohol is its primary active ingredient, it does contain a small
amount of ammonia (unless you get the vinegar version). Note the
reference to having a slight ammonia odor.
Its label also states "with Ammonia-D" - an SC Johnson trade name for
some type of aqueous ammonia compound..
Old July 16th 08, 08:20 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

On Jul 16, 9:10*am, Susan wrote:
I have an ant infestation and I spray windex to kill the swarms of tiny
ants but it takes so much to kill ants that the carpets, walls, and grout
turns blue from the dye in the commercial window cleaner.

Do you know if I just buy ammonia and mix it at the correct percentage that
it will still kill ants without staining my carpets blue?

What percentage of ammonia would you use?
Do you know HOW ammonia kills the ants?

Is there a better way to kill an ant infestation?

Boric Acid is real cheap. Any hardware store will have it.

I had a friend who lived in Hollywood and she had a cochroach problem
that was insane. I was afraid to go in her apartment. I bought some
boric acid and applied it. A couple of days later she called to tell
me the roaches were still there and they seemed to be even bolder. I
went over a day or two later and then she told me they were starting
to die. What she thought was boldness was actually the roaches walking
around dazed and dying. I sat in her apartment and you could hear them
falling from the walls and hitting the floor, tic tic tic tic... She
was having troubles keeping up with the corpses, she was sweeping up
dustpans full.

She was not really a dirty person, she lived in Hollywood.
Old July 16th 08, 08:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have an ant infestation and I spray windex to kill the swarms of tiny
ants but it takes so much to kill ants that the carpets, walls, and grout
turns blue from the dye in the commercial window cleaner.

Do you know if I just buy ammonia and mix it at the correct percentage that
it will still kill ants without staining my carpets blue?

Slightly soapy water will kill most insects, but even then I would not
recommend spraying anything onto a carpet.

What percentage of ammonia would you use?
Do you know HOW ammonia kills the ants?

Is there a better way to kill an ant infestation?

Have you tried a product bait that contains boric acid? Ant traps?
"Tero" is one such product and it worked well for me.

What's better than Windex? ---MIKE--- Home Repair 27 August 13th 07 05:57 PM
Ants, Lots of Ants Steve Home Repair 21 July 26th 06 04:13 AM
Leaves, leaves everywhere; how to fix my rake. Peter Reilley Metalworking 36 November 30th 03 09:50 PM
Sticking leaves to my walls Conrad Edwards UK diy 6 October 1st 03 10:18 PM
Blue, blue, my world is blue -- is this fixable? Eric Vey Electronics Repair 2 September 24th 03 10:45 PM