Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bending galvanized pipe

I have some galvanized sections for a hoop greenhouse which need to be
bent and/or straightened. The tubing is 2" OD. Any suggestions how to
bend or straighten the pipe?

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

franz fripplfrappl wrote:
I have some galvanized sections for a hoop greenhouse which need to be
bent and/or straightened. The tubing is 2" OD. Any suggestions how to
bend or straighten the pipe?

Is this galvanized pipe or thinwall tubing or...?

What radius of bend/how long are the tubing sections?

Not a lot to work on here for context...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:18:38 -0500, dpb wrote:

franz fripplfrappl wrote:
I have some galvanized sections for a hoop greenhouse which need to be
bent and/or straightened. The tubing is 2" OD. Any suggestions how to
bend or straighten the pipe?

Is this galvanized pipe or thinwall tubing or...?

What radius of bend/how long are the tubing sections?

Not a lot to work on here for context...

It's galvanized pipe. Uncertain of gauge. Pipes are 10' in length.
As a guess, not sure of radius of bend but would guess 3-6'.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

franz fripplfrappl wrote:
I have some galvanized sections for a hoop greenhouse which need to be
bent and/or straightened. The tubing is 2" OD. Any suggestions how to
bend or straighten the pipe?

Is this galvanized pipe or thinwall tubing or...?

What radius of bend/how long are the tubing sections?

Not a lot to work on here for context...

It's galvanized pipe. Uncertain of gauge. Pipes are 10' in length.
As a guess, not sure of radius of bend but would guess 3-6'.

As in Sch 40 galvanized water pipe, EMT, ... ??? How much takes to bend
will be pretty much dependent on what you're trying to bend (as in "doh"
).

Most homebrew greenhouse sections I've seen have used 1-3/8" galvanized
top chain link fence rail which is 18-16(?) gauge. Googling will
undoubtedly lead you to many sources for such.

OTOH, if you're really talking 2" pipe, that's a lot more serious piece
o' work and you'll need a real press and appropriately sized dies.

Harbor Freight has a hydraulic press that's stout enough, but it's
designed more for making bends (as in corners) rather than the general
sweep you'd want for the greenhouse. I suppose w/ some trial and error
and practice you might get there, but it would be pretty difficult to
duplicate bends that way I think.

There are certainly bending presses (mostly roller) that will do it w/
the heavier material but I don't know of any that aren't pretty pricey.
I haven't done any searches, but it sends like a much larger piece of
stock than required for the application and consequently, more of pita
to bend, especially if you really want a smooth radius (which I would
presume for the application you would).

Sorry I don't have more specific ideas...

Posted to alt.home.repair

franz fripplfrappl wrote:
I have some galvanized sections for a hoop greenhouse which need to be
bent and/or straightened. The tubing is 2" OD. Any suggestions how to
bend or straighten the pipe?

Is this galvanized pipe or thinwall tubing or...?

What radius of bend/how long are the tubing sections?

Not a lot to work on here for context...

It's galvanized pipe. Uncertain of gauge. Pipes are 10' in length.
As a guess, not sure of radius of bend but would guess 3-6'.

That pipe is overkill, IME. But, you can pitch the roof and use
straight pipes ?

2 inch PVC is easier to get the radius...maybe not that big.

Posted to alt.home.repair

franz fripplfrappl wrote:
I have some galvanized sections for a hoop greenhouse which need to be
bent and/or straightened. The tubing is 2" OD. Any suggestions how to
bend or straighten the pipe?

Is this galvanized pipe or thinwall tubing or...?

What radius of bend/how long are the tubing sections?

Not a lot to work on here for context...

It's galvanized pipe. Uncertain of gauge. Pipes are 10' in length.
As a guess, not sure of radius of bend but would guess 3-6'.

2 inch pipe, 10 foot long, six foot radius.......You're going
to need a lot of leverage. You better find a way to extend the
lever arm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/15/2008 10:39 AM franz fripplfrappl said the following:
I have some galvanized sections for a hoop greenhouse which need to be
bent and/or straightened. The tubing is 2" OD. Any suggestions how to
bend or straighten the pipe?

You're not going to bend that size pipe with anything but a machine made
for that purpose. If it galvanized, it is likely a steel or iron pipe.
Trying to bend it with any lever arrangement will likely fold the pipe
before it bends into any usable curve. It has to be machine rolled into
a curve. Try to find a local machine shop that can do it.
If you lived near me, I would send you over to "Orange County Choppers"
to see one of the Teutuls. They do that all the time. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message
I have some galvanized sections for a hoop greenhouse which need to be
bent and/or straightened. The tubing is 2" OD. Any suggestions how to
bend or straighten the pipe?

Franz Fripplfrappl

I think you need to find out what kind of tube ( 2" OD is tube, Pipe is ID
until 13" then it's OD) Do you what schedule it is? Are there threaded
ends? My thoughts would be to heat it up ( red hot) might not be to good
for the galv. Bend around a form, would be hard to do. You might try a metal
shop they should have a hydraulic bender.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message
I have some galvanized sections for a hoop greenhouse which need to be
bent and/or straightened. The tubing is 2" OD. Any suggestions how to
bend or straighten the pipe?

A local contractor tool rental place may have an electrical conduit
hydraulic bender available. 2" OD is probably equal to 1.5" trade size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stop at a local muffler shop. They have the equipment to play the
game.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message
I have some galvanized sections for a hoop greenhouse which need
to be
bent and/or straightened. The tubing is 2" OD. Any suggestions
how to
bend or straighten the pipe?

Franz Fripplfrappl

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
franz fripplfrappl wrote:
dpb wrote:

franz fripplfrappl wrote:
I have some galvanized sections for a hoop greenhouse which need to be
bent and/or straightened. The tubing is 2" OD. Any suggestions how to
bend or straighten the pipe?

... It's galvanized pipe. Uncertain of gauge. Pipes are 10' in length.
As a guess, not sure of radius of bend but would guess 3-6'.

As in Sch 40 galvanized water pipe, EMT, ... ??? How much takes to bend
will be pretty much dependent on what you're trying to bend...

I have 2 14'x96' greenhouses with 1" galvanized water pipe bows on 4'
centers. Each bow is a 21' pipe with 3 bends, about 45 degrees, to make
a gothic arch with 3 corners. These $800 greenhouse kits came from Schwarz
and Sons in Wilmington DE. They sell pipe and noticed that some of their
customers were turning their pipe into greenhouses, so they started doing
that too. They make the bends by hand, with 2 people and some 2x4 blocks
screwed to a large piece of plywood.

Most homebrew greenhouse sections I've seen have used 1-3/8" galvanized
top chain link fence rail which is 18-16(?) gauge.

I use that swedged pipe for roll-up sides.

Nick