Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure washing left discolored areas on roof

I have read that an asphalt shingle roof should not be pressure washed,
but I have also read that it is ok at low pressure.

Using low pressure, a guy pressure washed my asphalt shingle roof. Now
there are some irregular areas that are lighter than the rest. The
chairman of the board (my wife) does not like this. I think the guy
said the lighter areas are the color the shingles are supposed to be
(the color they originally were) and the darker areas still have stuff
on them that the light pressure washing did not remove.

Is there a coat that can be sprayed on to get my roof to be a uniform
color? Thanks.
Ed
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Jul 14, 3:27*pm, Ed Wicks wrote:
I have read that an asphalt shingle roof should not be pressure washed,
but I have also read that it is ok at low pressure.

Using low pressure, a guy pressure washed my asphalt shingle roof. Now
there are some irregular areas that are lighter than the rest. The
chairman of the board (my wife) does not like this. I think the guy
said the lighter areas are the color the shingles are supposed to be
(the color they originally were) and the darker areas still have stuff
on them that the light pressure washing did not remove.

Is there a coat that can be sprayed on to get my roof to be a uniform
color? Thanks.
Ed

I have to satisfy myself that the idiot never removed any of the
"grit" causing the shingles to be lighter than the others.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Wicks" wrote in message

I have read that an asphalt shingle roof should not be pressure washed,
but I have also read that it is ok at low pressure.

Using low pressure, a guy pressure washed my asphalt shingle roof. Now
there are some irregular areas that are lighter than the rest. The
chairman of the board (my wife) does not like this. I think the guy
said the lighter areas are the color the shingles are supposed to be
(the color they originally were) and the darker areas still have stuff
on them that the light pressure washing did not remove.

Is there a coat that can be sprayed on to get my roof to be a uniform
color? Thanks.
Ed

He probably washed away five or ten years of life too. You could try a
cleaner and hose, but that is a crap shoot. It also depends on why the roof
is darkened to begin with. Since you'll probably be getting a new roof in
a year or two, get a dark color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:27:39 -0400, Ed Wicks wrote:

I have read that an asphalt shingle roof should not be pressure washed,
but I have also read that it is ok at low pressure.

Using low pressure, a guy pressure washed my asphalt shingle roof. Now
there are some irregular areas that are lighter than the rest. The
chairman of the board (my wife) does not like this. I think the guy
said the lighter areas are the color the shingles are supposed to be
(the color they originally were) and the darker areas still have stuff
on them that the light pressure washing did not remove.

Is there a coat that can be sprayed on to get my roof to be a uniform
color? Thanks.
Ed

It's difficult to answer your question correctly if you haven't
identified what the dark spots are?

If they are bald shingles, caused by pressure washing, then it's
time to re-shingle. If it's black algae, fungus, or moss........
http://www.sprayandforget.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all responses/help. I will ponder the advice and decide what
to do.
Ed