Honda EB 5000x generator

Old July 12th 08, 05:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Honda EB 5000x generator

I am new to google and generators so please bear with me.

I borrowed a 20+ year old Honda generator and successfully used it at
a remote camp when all of a sudden the motor continued to run but
power to the shop vac stopped. I let it sit for awhile and while the
engine workled fine no power was available for the shop vac or any
other small electrical appliance.

I found the owners manual for the unit online and looked for trouble
shooting tips but nothing jumps out at me. I am not a mechanical
person and tried to bring it to a few local small engine repair shops
and while only 1 would look at it, they won't have time for 3-4 weeks
and am wondering if there are some simple tests I can do to in the
meantime. any help is appreciated.
Old July 14th 08, 02:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
PSKI wrote:

the motor continued to run but
power to the shop vac stopped.

The output section may be disconnected from the engine. You should look
for an open circuit breaker. Good luck.
--

JR
Old July 14th 08, 03:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 10:35*am, PSKI wrote:
I am new to google and generators so please bear with me.

I borrowed a 20+ year old Honda generator and successfully used it at
a remote camp when all of a sudden the motor continued to run but
power to the shop vac stopped. *I let it sit for awhile and while the
engine workled fine no power was available for the shop vac or any
other small electrical appliance.

I found the owners manual for the unit online and looked for trouble
shooting tips but nothing jumps out at me. *I am not a mechanical
person and tried to bring it to a few local small engine repair shops
and while only 1 would look at it, they won't have time for 3-4 weeks
and am wondering if there are some simple tests I can do to in the
meantime. *any help is appreciated.

Is there a circuit breaker that might have popped, maybe a stuck brush
on the gen armature, if you can see the brushes see if you can push
them in. A volt meter at the head output will tell you if its the head
or downline which you can trace, its 240v + so be carefull, ground
the chassis before having a shock, often a bolt is on the chassis to
attach a wire then wrap wire around a nail and put it in the dirt. At
20 yrs anything can go bad.