Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bookcase headboard

After hunting for a decent bookcase headboard, I decided to build my
own. The decent ones (I found) were expensive.

I was able to do a decent job given I only used a router, a circular saw
and a drill. I've still got some finishing touches to put on it.

I would like to know if anyone would recommend a good stain to put on
it..? Also I'd like to build a platform bed base to go with it - the one
with the drawers underneath. But I think that'd be a bit ambitous given
my limited woodworking tool collection..

I've never built drawers in my life. Are there any free plans floating
around for a base like that? I guess I could do what I did for the
bookcase HB and go to a store and lift some measurements. :)

Any help would be appreciated..thanks..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 2:42*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 15:28:17 -0400, wrote:
After hunting for a decent bookcase headboard, I decided to build my
own. The decent ones (I found) were *expensive.

I was able to do a decent job given I only used a router, a circular saw
and a drill. I've still got some finishing touches to put on it.

I would like to know if anyone would recommend a good stain to put on
it..? Also I'd like to build a platform bed base to go with it - the one
with the drawers underneath. But I think that'd be a bit ambitous given
my limited woodworking tool collection..

I've never built drawers in my life. Are there any free plans floating
around for a base like that? I guess I could do what I did for the
bookcase HB and go to a store and lift some measurements. *:)

Any help would be appreciated..thanks..

Is this PT wood?

Search webtv for the plans.- Hide quoted text -

what kind of wood
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it's called white pine..? I used off the shelf at lowes
precut..the better pieces.. No PT...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why would anyone want to stain PT wood? Or for that matter why would
they use PT wood for a homemade furniture project (at least on the
exposed parts)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
After hunting for a decent bookcase headboard, I decided to build my
own. The decent ones (I found) were expensive.

snip
I would like to know if anyone would recommend a good stain to put on
it..? Also I'd like to build a platform bed base to go with it - the one
with the drawers underneath. But I think that'd be a bit ambitous given
my limited woodworking tool collection..

Wow, its 1980 again. Minwax stain is decent as are most major brands at the
local paint store. If the wood is pine, a precondition helps give a more
even application.

Posted to alt.home.repair

For "drawers" under a bed, don't use drawer guides; use wheels.
Keep this in mind, too, as you're building your platform supports.
Mattresses plus people plus vigorous activity equals significant stress.
My platform Queen-size bed support is three 2x12s and 3/4" plywood
platform (no drawers).
I got a new California-type female (delivered right to the door). I'm
190, she's 130.
We broke it.
-------------------------

Maybe I'll just attach one of those stock metal bed frames. The most
important part was assembling the headboard. I've never had a problem
with one of those metal ones..

But now that you mention it, I've busted a couple of the more elaborate
ones (with some help as well)...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 18:14:44 -0400, wrote:

Why would anyone want to stain PT wood? Or for that matter why would
they use PT wood for a homemade furniture project (at least on the
exposed parts)?

Why would they use Web TV, just beats the **** out of me!?

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Keep this in mind, too, as you're building your platform supports.
Mattresses plus people plus vigorous activity equals significant
stress. My platform Queen-size bed support is three 2x12s and 3/4"
plywood platform (no drawers).

My California king size water bed has six drawers all on 32" drawer slides
which work well and which I like. Support for the bed is a grid of 3/4
particle board which forms the drawer compartments. There is 1/2" fir ply
laying on top of the grid. I built it more than 20 years ago, all is still
fine.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 2:28*pm, wrote:
After hunting for a decent bookcase headboard, I decided to build my
own. The decent ones (I found) were *expensive.

I was able to do a decent job given I only used a router, a circular saw
and a drill. I've still got some finishing touches to put on it.

I would like to know if anyone would recommend a good stain to put on
it..? Also I'd like to build a platform bed base to go with it - the one
with the drawers underneath. But I think that'd be a bit ambitous given
my limited woodworking tool collection..

I've never built drawers in my life. Are there any free plans floating
around for a base like that? I guess I could do what I did for the
bookcase HB and go to a store and lift some measurements. *:)

Any help would be appreciated..thanks..

Use a pre stain sealer first on pine, Bix makes one, or you thin down
shellac. Pine will not stain well without a sealer.

CUSTOM HEADBOARD J T Woodworking 1 August 29th 05 05:41 AM
MISSION HEADBOARD J T Woodworking 0 August 28th 05 01:57 AM
THREE WAYS TO MAKE A HEADBOARD J T Woodworking 1 March 9th 05 04:54 PM
HELP: Best way to make curved molding and top for headboard Greg Woodworking 4 December 30th 03 08:33 PM