Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting Doors

OK, I now have 14 doors made of raw pine that need painting. Any suggestions
on how to paint them? I have the ability to spray or brush. Should I paint
them in place or remove them. I'm thinking remove them and paint them
upright, but I await any suggestions.

Bernie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bernie Hunt wrote:

OK, I now have 14 doors made of raw pine that need painting. Any
suggestions on how to paint them? I have the ability to spray or brush.
Should I paint them in place or remove them. I'm thinking remove them
and paint them upright, but I await any suggestions.

You'll get the best finish if you spray them. It's most convenient to
paint them in place, but you'll get overspray everywhere. Take them down
and spray them in the garage.

* Label the doors on the top edge so you know where they go back.
* Take off all the hardware so you have no edges to worry about.
* Put some screweyes in the top and hang the doors so you can spray both
sides at the same time.
* Another trick is to put one screw in the top edge and two in the
bottom. Rest the screws on your sawhorses. You can then turn the door over
to paint the other side without touching it.
* If you paint the mortices where the hinges go, the doors will fit a
little tighter when you rehang them. This might be a good thing or a bad
thing.
* I usually line up all the doors around the garage and paint one side. I
paint the other side the next day. Use lots of drop cloths.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 00:02:27 -0400, Bernie Hunt wrote:

OK, I now have 14 doors made of raw pine that need painting. Any
suggestions on how to paint them? I have the ability to spray or brush.
Should I paint them in place or remove them. I'm thinking remove them
and paint them upright, but I await any suggestions.

Bernie

Take them outdoors on a nice day and either paint or spray. Why have the
mess indoors? Removing the doors will make the work go faster and easier.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair

"franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 00:02:27 -0400, Bernie Hunt wrote:

OK, I now have 14 doors made of raw pine that need painting. Any
suggestions on how to paint them? I have the ability to spray or brush.
Should I paint them in place or remove them. I'm thinking remove them
and paint them upright, but I await any suggestions.

Bernie

Take them outdoors on a nice day and either paint or spray. Why have the
mess indoors? Removing the doors will make the work go faster and easier.

Do not do them outdoors...Overspray will drift around and get on things like
your car or house or even worse your neighbors car or house , let alone all
the bugs,dust,ect you will collect on your door size pieces of
flypaper....Do as the previous poster suggested and you will be fine....

Franz Fripplfrappl

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 20:24:56 -0400, benick wrote:

[...]

Come now, on a neighbor's house or car? I doubt it. As for bugs and
dust, that's not always an issue. Pick a nice day with no breeze. At
least you cold get the primer coat applied outdoors.

Franz Fripplfrappl

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in
:

[...]

I primed and painted a whole house a couple of months ago spraying.
Houses are pretty close. Just asked neighbor to move his car down the end
of his driveway when I was working nearby for a warm-fuzzy. No issues.
And that was with a 2800 PSI unit. The type with the spray head at the
end of a hose.

I assume door painting will be done with a much smaller hand held
sprayer.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Take them down. Put 2 big screws in each end and lay them on a sawhorse.
Can now paint all sides at one time.

"Bernie Hunt" wrote in message
OK, I now have 14 doors made of raw pine that need painting. Any
suggestions on how to paint them? I have the ability to spray or brush.
Should I paint them in place or remove them. I'm thinking remove them and
paint them upright, but I await any suggestions.

Bernie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 11:02*pm, "Bernie Hunt" wrote:
OK, I now have 14 doors made of raw pine that need painting. Any suggestions
on how to paint them? I have the ability to spray or brush. Should I paint
them in place or remove them. I'm thinking remove them and paint them
upright, but I await any suggestions.

Bernie

You are the first to ask instead of thinking to brush on a latex
primer and ruining it with latex paint, you are smarter. but prep is
Key. Benjamin Moore makes a Oil Primer " Enamel Underbody" that is to
be sanded with up to 320g, your Key is to get the perfect smooth
undercoat or Primer . Oil Penetrol is a great thinner for Moore Satin
Impervo. But you can go Laquer routes, But remember you need a sanding
Primer, to be sanded smooth as your finish will only be as good as
your base is prepped.

Worst is Latex, But I can make a brush on finish like spray , with
Impervo and Penetrol, better might be a laquer with a soft, sanded
primer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message
m...
Take them down. Put 2 big screws in each end and lay them on a sawhorse.
Can now paint all sides at one time.

Yes, that's a handy tip. I suggest you use Floetrol in the paint if it's
latex. It helps it to flow. As to inside/outside, you are the best judge
of where you have a good place. As to outside with no dust, wind, or bugs,
I really don't think there's a place on the planet that fits that
description. I know I have painted a few times I "thought" it was calm,
only to later find bugs and airborne flotsam.

One important thing: DO NOT APPEAR TO BE A NEWBIE OR IMBECILE BY LEAVING
ANY HARDWARE ON. Same goes for jambs. It's easy to remove, gives you a
professional looking job, and if you have any loose screws, you will find
out on remounting hardware. Just stick a matchstick in any loose screw hole
and break and trim off, and the screw will be a lot more secure. Do NOT use
any glue. Tape any glass or anything you don't want paint on.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 11:02*pm, "Bernie Hunt" wrote:
OK, I now have 14 doors made of raw pine that need painting. Any suggestions
on how to paint them? I have the ability to spray or brush. Should I paint
them in place or remove them. I'm thinking remove them and paint them
upright, but I await any suggestions.

Bernie

If you spray them laying flat dust may ruin the finish, be sure to
practice first on technique.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Darn, I was hoping to use my new box of 200 colors of crayon.

;}

Bernie

"Stephen King" wrote in message
Use paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 2:58*am, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

just stick a matchstick in any loose screw hole
and break and trim off, and the screw will be a lot more secure. *Do NOT use
any glue.

Why not use glue?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 2:44*pm, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

On Jul 9, 2:58 am, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

just stick a matchstick in any loose screw hole
and break and trim off, and the screw will be a lot more secure. Do NOT
use
any glue.

Why not use glue?

Think ahead to when you want to get the screw OUT ............. *Or want to
tighten it. *Most glues will fracture into tiny pieces, not allowing for
tightening.

Besides that, the object is to get the screw to use inclined plane force of
physics to work. *So, you add more material to reinforce the grip.

Think of it this way ...... *you have a sloppy hole. *What you gonna do?
Fill it full of glue and stick a screw in the glue? *It's going to be loose,
since you can't screw it tight and bring everything together. *You'll end up
with a weak moveable joint from square one.

Or, at least that has been my experience from using glue and finding out it
just doesn't work as well as real wood for some things.

You weren't clear on your earlier post. I thought you were saying not
to use glue when you stick in the sliver of wood, which is something I
usually do. You're right that standard woodworking glue alone won't
be effective over the long term, but there's nothing wrong with using
glue and wood slivers. I just wanted to clarify that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

"RicodJour" wrote in message
[...]

the right way is to plug the hole with a glued in dowel, cut off flush with
a chisel or a flush -cut saw, and redrill the hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 7:28*pm, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

You weren't clear on your earlier post. *I thought you were saying not
to use glue when you stick in the sliver of wood, which is something I
usually do. *You're right that standard woodworking glue alone won't
be effective over the long term, but there's nothing wrong with using
glue and wood slivers. *I just wanted to clarify that.

I agree. *I've put a lot of slivers in there, watching them go to wherever
lost socks go. *Only thing I can think of is drying time. *But if you want
to wait, and that's what works for you, results are what we want.

There is no drying time. I like to use toothpicks, the square ones
that transition into smooth tapered cones at either end. I smear a
little glue on one toothpick's end and stick it into the hole, break
it off flush, put glue on the broken end and stick that into the hole,
then just screw on the hinge. Essentially I'm reversing the ends so
not all of the tapers are pointing in the same direction. The glue
will dry on its own schedule while I'm off working on mine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote in
:

"RicodJour" wrote in message

[...]

break it off flush,

Variation: I'll often snip them off a little long with pointed wire
cutters then hammer them till their flush to maximize the actual wood in
the hole. When the glue and wood are dry, shave it off flush if
necessary..
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

"RicodJour" wrote in message
[...]

Wood glue with toothpicks works well to fix a hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

** Put some screweyes in the top and hang the doors so you can spray both
sides at the same time.

Just a little reminder that doors have *six* sides, not two. For a
wood door it's important to finish the top and bottom edges too to
help control the migration of moisture in and out of the wood as the
humidity changes. Helps to reduce the frequency of doors warping, not
closing properly, etc.

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
[...]

a chisel or a flush -cut saw, and redrill the hole.- Hide quoted text -

the right way is to plug the hole with a glued in dowel

I've looked for really, really skinny dowels to fill screw holes and I
just can't find them *anywhere*.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
[...]

or make the holes larger by drilling them out to a size that you can find a
dowel for. you can get thin dowels at a hobby store (michaels, hobby lobby),
places that sell parts for r/c plan construction, or even home depot.
failing that, you can carve a larger one down with a pen knife or chuck it
in a drill and sand it down.

Painting doors & Floetrol Jean Home Repair 13 July 4th 19 12:30 PM
Painting French Doors Walter R. Home Repair 6 March 11th 06 01:28 AM
painting doors Neil UK diy 9 March 8th 06 06:52 PM
Painting bedroom doors Iluv Home Ownership 2 November 18th 04 08:10 PM
Painting or otherwise finishing cabinet doors in some form of white (also distressing doors) Traves W. Coppock Woodworking 1 August 3rd 03 03:13 PM