Rope caulk?

Old July 6th 08, 11:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rope caulk?

I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...6338-1410-P24H

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6pwrtb

If this isn't the product I need, do you know what I'm looking
for and where to buy it? As always, I appreciate your help.

nancy

Old July 6th 08, 11:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
. ..
I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...6338-1410-P24H

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6pwrtb

If this isn't the product I need, do you know what I'm looking
for and where to buy it? As always, I appreciate your help.

nancy

I wouldn't use that.

Get some real silicone caulk.

http://www.doityourself.com/icat/grayblkbronzsilicone

Old July 7th 08, 12:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Nancy Young wrote:

I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...6338-1410-P24H

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6pwrtb

If this isn't the product I need, do you know what I'm looking
for and where to buy it? As always, I appreciate your help.

nancy

The link you provided is for caulk to be used around windows. Are you
trying to fill
a gap between concrete patio and concrete foundation? If so, there is a
caulk
specifically for concrete expansion joints - just check out the caulk
rack at you favorite
big store. Probably have it in the masonry supplies as well.

Like this:
http://www.dap.com/product_details.a...=26&SubcatID=6
Old July 7th 08, 12:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 18:45:40 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

Examine products on the shelf with caulk, find the color and make sure
it apply's with concrete.

I've used "grey rubbery caulk" before and it stuck. I can't get butyl
caulk out of my pants (used to build box cars). It out last my pants,
but I don't build box cars, buses, etc..

Old July 7th 08, 12:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
Nancy Young wrote:

I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...6338-1410-P24H

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6pwrtb

If this isn't the product I need, do you know what I'm looking
for and where to buy it? As always, I appreciate your help.

The link you provided is for caulk to be used around windows.

Further down in the description it mentioned other uses.

Are you
trying to fill
a gap between concrete patio and concrete foundation?

Right.

If so, there
is a caulk
specifically for concrete expansion joints - just check out the caulk
rack at you favorite
big store. Probably have it in the masonry supplies as well.

What's confusing me is that this stuff is up to an inch wide and
doesn't look like it came out of a caulking gun. It looks like one
long piece of gray rope. I guess that's why I thought rope caulk.

Thanks, I will go look closer at what is available, I didn't have
much luck last time, I didn't even see this stuff I found online.

nancy

Old July 7th 08, 12:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

Examine products on the shelf with caulk, find the color and make sure
it apply's with concrete.

I've used "grey rubbery caulk" before and it stuck. I can't get butyl
caulk out of my pants (used to build box cars). It out last my pants,
but I don't build box cars, buses, etc..

Heh. Okay, thanks, as I said I'm just starting to get into this little
project and wasn't sure what to look for.

nancy
Old July 7th 08, 01:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

Examine products on the shelf with caulk, find the color and make sure
it apply's with concrete.

I've used "grey rubbery caulk" before and it stuck. I can't get butyl
caulk out of my pants (used to build box cars). It out last my pants,
but I don't build box cars, buses, etc..

Heh. Okay, thanks, as I said I'm just starting to get into this little
project and wasn't sure what to look for.

nancy

Usually, the concrete guys use products like this:

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=10136

which is a one-part urethane caulk. It is really good stuff, and will
hold its shape when pulled out, and end up looking like a rope. You
also might need to use a caulk backer rod -

http://www.bestmaterials.com/SearchR...ategoryID=1083

This should be reasonably easy to find but the caulk is a little more
difficult to get. I buy mine from a local contractor's supply store
that specializes in tools and supplies for masonry contractors.

JK

Old July 7th 08, 01:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Big_Jake wrote:
On Jul 6, 6:54 pm, "Nancy Young" wrote:

Usually, the concrete guys use products like this:

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=10136

which is a one-part urethane caulk. It is really good stuff, and will
hold its shape when pulled out, and end up looking like a rope. You
also might need to use a caulk backer rod -

http://www.bestmaterials.com/SearchR...ategoryID=1083

This should be reasonably easy to find but the caulk is a little more
difficult to get. I buy mine from a local contractor's supply store
that specializes in tools and supplies for masonry contractors.

Oh. The fact that I don't know what backer rod is, but I saw what
looked like that at the store makes me think I don't know what
the heck I'm doing. I'd better read more about it. Thank you for
the heads up.

nancy
Old July 7th 08, 01:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

Examine products on the shelf with caulk, find the color and make sure
it apply's with concrete.

I've used "grey rubbery caulk" before and it stuck. I can't get butyl
caulk out of my pants (used to build box cars). It out last my pants,
but I don't build box cars, buses, etc..

Hi,
It depends how side the gap is. Or it could be acting like expansion
joint. Also it matters how deep the gap is vertically. There is bigger
than usual size commercial caulking tube made for concrete/masonry which
is sort of grey color. If gap is deep, fill it with foam or rubber rope
and apply caulk. May need more than one pass. HD or Lowe will have what
you need.
Old July 7th 08, 01:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

It depends how side the gap is. Or it could be acting like expansion
joint. Also it matters how deep the gap is vertically. There is bigger
than usual size commercial caulking tube made for concrete/masonry
which is sort of grey color. If gap is deep, fill it with foam or
rubber rope and apply caulk. May need more than one pass. HD or Lowe
will have what you need.

Thank you very much. I'll start with looking more closely at what
I'm planning to replace.

nancy

Removing caulk from "caulk strip" GotBonus Home Repair 1 April 18th 06 12:27 AM
TRANSPORTABLE ROPE BED J T Woodworking 0 November 13th 05 02:45 AM
ROPE BED J T Woodworking 0 November 13th 05 01:25 AM
Where can I buy a rope hoist? newman UK diy 13 February 25th 05 06:30 PM
Rope molding Alexander Galkin Woodworking 2 January 7th 05 10:54 PM