Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to store Chemicals: Garage or Garage Attic? Fumes travel down?

We have a garage and lots of good storage in the Garage attic.
The Garage is mostly insulated, there is a bit of air leak at the
garage door seal and the ceiling is mostly insulated. In the
garage attic there is no insulation on the roof side. As just moved
in, I am not sure if it gets cold enough to freeze in the attic.
I am trying to avoid having fumes from chemicals in the garage,
especially since the garage is attached to the house. We don't keep
any chemicals in the house, just non toxic type of cleaners. We
don't have any outside shed, but I was wondering about storing them in
the garage attic. Would the fumes move back down to the garage?
Or I assume that it all depends on the type of chemicals. I am
hoping that fumes mostly travel up and would escape through t
Is there any webs sites out there that would explain some of these
issues? I would think gallons of paint are safe if they are closed
properly. I would also assume oil is fairly safe. But I have
other types of chemicals that I am concerned about like, verso & paint
thinner, aerosol spray cans, gasoline, wood stain, wood deck sealer
etc. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Home repair

lbbss
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/2/2008 9:40 AM lbbss spake thus:

Is there any webs sites out there that would explain some of these
issues? I would think gallons of paint are safe if they are closed
properly. I would also assume oil is fairly safe. But I have
other types of chemicals that I am concerned about like, verso & paint
thinner, aerosol spray cans, gasoline, wood stain, wood deck sealer
etc. Any ideas?

Well, yeah: the first that springs to my mind is a question: why would
you have *any* "fumes" from your stored chemicals? If you've got fumes,
you're doing something wrong, like not hammering on the lids of paint
cans (I see that all the time), not screwing on caps tightly, or just
plain storing them in a sloppy, unsafe manner.

If your chemicals are properly stored and looked after, there should be
no problem storing them in the garage (assuming you also observe other
common-sense precautions, like not storing flammables anywhere near a
source of flame like a water heater, etc.).

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

I agree that if stored in original containers there should be no fume
problem. Storage under ambient conditions is recommended for all
household type chemicals or pesticides that I know of and freezing or
overheating can cause decomposition, so storage in the attic is out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

lbbss wrote:

[...]

Some move down, some move up. I would store them where they are more
accessible in case of a spill or something. It would be easier to clean.

You can always put your chemical cabinet near the edge of the garage and
have a vent on it to the outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote
AM lbbss spake thus:

other types of chemicals that I am concerned about like, verso & paint
thinner, aerosol spray cans, gasoline, wood stain, wood deck sealer
etc. Any ideas?

Well, yeah: the first that springs to my mind is a question: why would you
have *any* "fumes" from your stored chemicals? If you've got fumes,

Agreed and I'll add, my concern wouldnt be fumes but heat. That uninsulated
attic if he's in the south is going to exceed safe temps for aerosol cans
etc.

Because my garage (attached, not insulated but house on that wall is) is
quite hot in summer, we got a simple storage locker on the screened porch
for such things as gasoline and spray cans. It's vented and in the shade of
the porch. Designed for this type of use, we drilled in a few more vent
holes. We dont have many things to store in it, but the garage is hotter
than the porch. In winter, we move the stuff to the garage.

Rubbermaid I think it is?

Posted to alt.home.repair

lbbss wrote:
[...]

Fumes do not factor into the storage location if the containers are properly
closed.

Physical integrity/environment of the containers is really the only factor
to consider: heat, protection from damage, rust, etc. That is, the type of
storage is determined by its effect on the chemicals or the chemicals'
containers, not the chemicals' effect on you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, but as soon as you open the cabinet, the concentrated fumes and
bad smells enter your garage, so just as well leave them on a regular
shelf.
Posted to alt.home.repair

lbbss wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
I don't have much of chemicals to store. Whenever I need some, I buy
enough to use it up. If I have store it, it's in the tool shed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"lbbss" wrote in message
Yes, but as soon as you open the cabinet, the concentrated fumes and
bad smells enter your garage, so just as well leave them on a regular
shelf.

Concentrated fumes from what? As others have said, if stored and sealed
properly there should be NO fumes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Brown" wrote in message

"lbbss" wrote in message
Yes, but as soon as you open the cabinet, the concentrated fumes and
bad smells enter your garage, so just as well leave them on a regular
shelf.

Concentrated fumes from what? As others have said, if stored and sealed
properly there should be NO fumes.

Right, so why does OSHA have requirements for special cabinets with grounds
and vents? Seems silly if everything is properly sealed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

lbbss wrote in news:8072f94f-be7b-4d3c-af83-
:

[...]

So how do you get the vehicle in and out of the garage without without
getting the toxic fumes from it in the garage?

How do you get into the house without letting those toxic fumes in?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

How hot does it get there? Attic above insulation probably gets awfully
hot. Containers may pop open or swell in extreme heat - I think safer is
to keep in the garage. Things are somewhat less likely to pop open there,
and are more closely monitored there than in the attic. If an item is
marked "combustible" rather than "flammable", it is safe in your basement
as long as you have a basement that does not get hot and the item is safe
from spillage. Combustible liquids are supposed to need to be heated to
at least 100 degrees F before producing vapors concentrated enough to be
flammable or being able to be ignited by even a fairly large static
electricity spark.

For that matter, most aerosol cans have warnings to not expose to
temperatures exceeding 120 degrees F (approx. 49 degrees C). I think the
garage attic above the insulation can get hotter than that. Bursting
aerosol cans are a big problem - most have plenty of propane in them, and
some have liquids that are flammable outright, and some have combustible
liquids that become flammable (this means spark-ignitable and capable of
causing "flash fires" that spread close enough to instantly) at the high
temperatures that an attic can achieve.

If you have any chemical products that you have at most only fair chance
of ever needing again and low chance of using within a few years, consider
getting rid of them. See if any friends or neighbors have a need for
them. Then check into thrift shops and your county's household hazardous
waste disposal program.

- Don Klipstein )