Estimating cost of future HVAC replacement

Old June 29th 08, 10:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Estimating cost of future HVAC replacement

I am doing some retirement planning. I want to estimate the cost and
lifetime of my HVAC system.

I have central gas heat and ac. The is 2 story and about 2300 feet.
The house was built in 1991.

Also, I would like to do some planning for what to expect. How long
do they last?
I see from some other posts that they may want to replace all the duct
work. What should I look at to prepare to replace these systems. Can
I just replace the AC unit or gas furnace, only the part that fails?
Should I do that?

The upstairs unit is rarely used, only when we have company.

The downstairs outside AC unit is a TRANE XE 800 TTJ730A100B0.
Upstairs outside is TRANE XE 800 TTJ724A100B0. My web searchs have
not even turned up the tonnage of these.
Old June 30th 08, 08:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 6:54*pm, Erma1ina wrote:
Oren wrote:

I think the guys in alt.HVAC (?) can help. Try that group.

I hope you were being sarcastic. LOL.

To the OP: Don't waste your time with the psychotic burn-outs on
alt.hvac. For most HVAC-related questions, the Residential HVAC Forum on
the HVAC-Talk website is an excellent source of info. Here's the link:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=1

At least you'll get a response from helpful HVAC professionals but, even
there, don't expect a lot of info on pricing.

It's against the posting rules at hvac-talk to even ask about pricing!

Did find something he

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/268.shtml

Old July 1st 08, 02:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Figure about twenty years, for a good ball park. I'd be looking for a
package deal with the furnace and AC. Much easier to do as a set. How about
call some of your local HVAC companies, and see if they do ball park phone
estimates?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old July 1st 08, 03:32 AM posted to alt.home.repair
KC

On Jun 29, 4:06*pm, " wrote:

Also, *I would like to do some planning for what to expect.

What should I look at to prepare to replace these systems. *Can
I just replace the AC unit or gas furnace, only the part that fails?
Should I do that?

Something else to consider: As I understand it, the manufacture of
R-22 freon will cease in 2010. Existing stocks may be used until 2025,
but as the stock goes down, expect prices to skyrocket. The new
systems are using R-410A and are a few hundred bucks higher. If any
part of your system fails, it only makes sense to replace the whole
system with one using the standard freon of the future.
We went thru that with the car a/c's and now it's the residential's
turn.

KC