A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » Home Repair
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Electrician Costs? Installing a ceiling fan with new electrical box.



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 25th 08, 04:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Electrician Costs? Installing a ceiling fan with new electrical box.

Hi all,

I need to hire an electrician to install 2 ceiling fans in my house.

Master bedroom: There is access in a crawlspace for this room through
the closet access panel
Living room: There is no access here.

Both rooms appear to not have any preexisting hook ups.

Not including the fan how much should this job cost?

For just the master I have been quoted 253 labor only and probbably
much more for the downstairs.

What do you guys think?
Ads
  #2  
Old June 25th 08, 05:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 561
Default Electrician Costs? Installing a ceiling fan with new electricalbox.

On Jun 25, 11:48*am, wrote:
Hi all,

I need to hire an electrician to install 2 ceiling fans in my house.

Master bedroom: *There is access in a crawlspace for this room through
the closet access panel
Living room: *There is no access here.

Both rooms appear to not have any preexisting hook ups.

Not including the fan how much should this job cost?

For just the master I have been quoted 253 labor only and probbably
much more for the downstairs.

What do you guys think?


If you hire the guy who already came out it will cost $253 plus
materials for the first fan and more for the other fan. If you call
someone else the price could be more, less, or the same.

  #3  
Old June 25th 08, 06:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 998
Default Electrician Costs? Installing a ceiling fan with new electrical box.

"Limp Arbor" wrote
wrote:

Master bedroom: There is access in a crawlspace for this room through
the closet access panel


50$ maybe 75$ (Lowes charges 75$ each if doing multiples)

Living room: There is no access here.


This may be very hard or may require fairly significant structural work.

For just the master I have been quoted 253 labor only and probbably
much more for the downstairs.


The 253$ may fit the livingroom costs. No way the master bedroom should
cost that.

If you hire the guy who already came out it will cost $253 plus
materials for the first fan and more for the other fan. If you call
someone else the price could be more, less, or the same.


It would be better to get more estimates. There's either something funny
going on here that's making the price go way up, or the guy is a rip-off.

I just had 2 fans done (attic access for both) for 50$ each.


  #4  
Old June 25th 08, 06:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,941
Default Electrician Costs? Installing a ceiling fan with new electrical box.


wrote in message
...
Hi all,

I need to hire an electrician to install 2 ceiling fans in my house.

Master bedroom: There is access in a crawlspace for this room through
the closet access panel
Living room: There is no access here.

Both rooms appear to not have any preexisting hook ups.

Not including the fan how much should this job cost?

For just the master I have been quoted 253 labor only and probbably
much more for the downstairs.

What do you guys think?



I'm assuming that there is no existing wiring in place. There are a few
variables to consider. Will the fans also have light kits? Do you want a
separate wall switch for the fan and one for the light kit? If so do you
want a dimmer for the light kit? Would you prefer to not have any wall
switches and just use the pull chains or a remote control for the fan and
light? I suggest that you go with wall switches as frequent pulling on the
chains can wear out those switches prematurely and to pay someone to replace
them might add up to the cost of the fan. The wall switches are good if you
decide to get rid of the fan in the future and install a regular light
fixture instead. If you decide to have one wall switch for the fan and
light kit you will be going forth and back between the pull chain and wall
switch to shut the light off and leave the fan on.

Since there is no access for the living room, some holes will need to be
made in the ceiling and wall so that wiring can be installed. Will you be
making the necessary patches to these holes or do you want the electrician
to do it? Are you going to be responsible for repainting the walls and
ceiling after the holes have been patched or do you want the contractor to
do it?

  #5  
Old June 25th 08, 07:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 272
Default Electrician Costs? Installing a ceiling fan with new electrical box.

wrote:

Hi all,

I need to hire an electrician to install 2 ceiling fans in my house.

Master bedroom: There is access in a crawlspace for this room through
the closet access panel
Living room: There is no access here.

Both rooms appear to not have any preexisting hook ups.

Not including the fan how much should this job cost?

For just the master I have been quoted 253 labor only and probbably
much more for the downstairs.

What do you guys think?


If I were doing this job and I do them all the time. 75.00 if ceiling is
prewired for a fan. If you don't have an outlet in the ceiling and you want
a wall switch 75.00 plus 100.00 for going into an attic and another 75.00
to wire switch, if I can get access without windowing drywall. Materials
are extra, 3 wire for separate controls, 2 switch's and or dimmer extra.
250.00 total labor material extra and this is without seeing the job.

The living room will be much more and without seeing it, I would not even
give an estimate. I have special tools to bore thru joists without doing
much drywall windowing but it still needs some and repair afterwards,
including drywall repair, texture, primer and paint.

I don't see this guy being that far off. Matter of fact he in my book is
right on.


--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Running Mandriva release 2008.0 free-i586 using KDE on i586
  #6  
Old June 25th 08, 07:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 272
Default Electrician Costs? Installing a ceiling fan with new electrical box.

cshenk wrote:

"Limp Arbor" wrote
wrote:

Master bedroom: There is access in a crawlspace for this room through
the closet access panel


50$ maybe 75$ (Lowes charges 75$ each if doing multiples)

Living room: There is no access here.


This may be very hard or may require fairly significant structural work.

For just the master I have been quoted 253 labor only and probbably
much more for the downstairs.


The 253$ may fit the livingroom costs. No way the master bedroom should
cost that.

If you hire the guy who already came out it will cost $253 plus
materials for the first fan and more for the other fan. If you call
someone else the price could be more, less, or the same.


It would be better to get more estimates. There's either something funny
going on here that's making the price go way up, or the guy is a rip-off.

I just had 2 fans done (attic access for both) for 50$ each.


So for 50.00 they put the fan together mounted a special ceiling fan support
box ran wire down a wall for a new switch then up to the fan location, put
the necessary plug stops in box, installed 2 switches, and I assume this
included material. The guy that did this should have given you a check.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Running Mandriva release 2008.0 free-i586 using KDE on i586
  #7  
Old June 25th 08, 08:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 998
Default Electrician Costs? Installing a ceiling fan with new electrical box.

"evodawg" wrote

If I were doing this job and I do them all the time. 75.00 if ceiling is
prewired for a fan. If you don't have an outlet in the ceiling and you
want
a wall switch 75.00 plus 100.00 for going into an attic and another 75.00


Ouch! Well, mine was a replacement fan set (Master Bedroom and Livingroom,
renters broke both). Pull switches on both as the existing outlets are in
use to control other things. He did go up in the attic though to make sure
the boxes were stable and added a kit stabilizer. No drywall work needed.

The living room will be much more and without seeing it, I would not even
give an estimate. I have special tools to bore thru joists without doing
much drywall windowing but it still needs some and repair afterwards,
including drywall repair, texture, primer and paint.


I suspect so, a difficult install.

I was thinking to add one in my enclosed porch but there is no access above
at all and the ceiling is plywood. There are electrical cables up there as
there are 4 lights (the type you tend to see in garages with flourescent
long bulbs). We need to recover financially from some other work first but
later we want those taken out and a nice ceiling fan put in. It will have
to be almost flush mounted to the ceiling as it's not a tall roof back
there. 7'8" I think. For that, I expect to pay 350$ as the electrician we
use already gave an estimate on it.

The other install was cheaper but part of why it was 50$ each was it was a
package deal with several other items. The total at the end was almost
1,000$ worth of labor on the work. For example, I have 19 outlets on my
back porch, all but 2 were 2 prong and interior style yet this is a merely
screened portion (the enclosure part is fully enclosed sunroom, an 11x13
section with a remaining 11x44 fully screened portion). Because of the
additional wiring he had to run for proper grounds etc, those were 75$ each.
10 of them were done and the rest capped safely off til later.

He also put in a new fixture for the laundry room to replace one gone bad
for 25$ (easy reach situation)

750$+100$+25$ was the main part. Capping off the ones that were unsafe was
the rest.

Grin, before you think this horrible, it wasnt. He did all this in about 6
hours. There was no cosmetic work needed on his end at all and the one long
wire he had to run along the porch, was all in a straight line (we took the
shingle facing off for him before he arrived and put it back up after he
left).

I'd call a near 1,000$ haul in a 6 hour day a decent wage. And he's GOOD.
Insured too.

Here's what's pending: 7 more outlets on the screened porch, 3 of which
require a second wire of some sort (not on same wall as others, inner wall).
1 light fixure in kitchen unsafe (capped off now, needs new light fixure
too, recessed sort), 3 outlets around the house that are capped off and not
in spots we actually need them just now (2 prong), add another garage light
set (he can reuse the ones in the enclosed sunroom), add an exterior outlet
on the front of the house to run Xmas lights, replace 3 exterior flood
lights at back of house, remove sunroom 'garage type' lights and put in
ceiling fan with light fixture if he can get at joists right from below and
if not, just replace existing set with something nicer or we accept a mild
modification with a faux beam to stabilize the fan which we have to put in
exactly according to his specs first then he anchors it to them. He specs
this at a total of 1,850$ labor and no cosmetic work on his end. He
estimates if he wants to put in a long day, 12 hours. If he doesnt feel
like a long day, he says he might take 2 to do it all in 6 hour groups ;-)

Price may go up a bit as inflation hits, but he was sane to mention that and
we expect it.



  #8  
Old June 25th 08, 08:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 998
Default Electrician Costs? Installing a ceiling fan with new electrical box.

"evodawg" wrote

50$ maybe 75$ (Lowes charges 75$ each if doing multiples)


It would be better to get more estimates. There's either something funny
going on here that's making the price go way up, or the guy is a rip-off.

I just had 2 fans done (attic access for both) for 50$ each.


So for 50.00 they put the fan together mounted a special ceiling fan
support
box ran wire down a wall for a new switch then up to the fan location, put
the necessary plug stops in box, installed 2 switches, and I assume this
included material. The guy that did this should have given you a check.


You might want to ask questions if confused. These were replacements of
existing ones so there was no wiring, just replacement of fixture. As we
were talking labor costs, I listed only that. I had the fans I wanted in a
box ready for the fellow.

Yes, he added a better stabilizer in the attic as one of them rocked a
little. The kit cost about 20$ and Don helped put it in (one of those jobs
that a second pair of hands is nice to have). This is an unfinished true
attic. You can stand up along the center line and we have considered making
a spare room up there. Main problem is where to put a true stairwell as the
design below doesnt lead to that very easily.


  #9  
Old June 25th 08, 09:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 272
Default Electrician Costs? Installing a ceiling fan with new electrical box.

cshenk wrote:

"evodawg" wrote

50$ maybe 75$ (Lowes charges 75$ each if doing multiples)


It would be better to get more estimates. There's either something
funny going on here that's making the price go way up, or the guy is a
rip-off.

I just had 2 fans done (attic access for both) for 50$ each.


So for 50.00 they put the fan together mounted a special ceiling fan
support
box ran wire down a wall for a new switch then up to the fan location,
put the necessary plug stops in box, installed 2 switches, and I assume
this included material. The guy that did this should have given you a
check.


You might want to ask questions if confused. These were replacements of
existing ones so there was no wiring, just replacement of fixture. As we
were talking labor costs, I listed only that. I had the fans I wanted in
a box ready for the fellow.

Yes, he added a better stabilizer in the attic as one of them rocked a
little. The kit cost about 20$ and Don helped put it in (one of those
jobs
that a second pair of hands is nice to have). This is an unfinished true
attic. You can stand up along the center line and we have considered
making
a spare room up there. Main problem is where to put a true stairwell as
the design below doesnt lead to that very easily.



Ok but your response to the original OP made it sound like they could have
all this work done as they described for 50 to 75 dollars. I didn't need a
reason to ask the question. I estimated the job as they called it in the
description and where I live this estimate would have been more than
reasonable per work described.

You, not knowing what your doing shouldn't really be giving advice except
for what you exactly had done in your situation. Which you clearly stated
after the fact. Sorry to be so blunt, but I call it the way I see it.



--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Running Mandriva release 2008.0 free-i586 using KDE on i586
  #10  
Old June 25th 08, 11:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Added responses to clarify what is needed.

On Jun 25, 1:36 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
wrote in message

...



Hi all,


I need to hire an electrician to install 2 ceiling fans in my house.


Master bedroom: There is access in a crawlspace for this room through
the closet access panel
Living room: There is no access here.


Both rooms appear to not have any preexisting hook ups.


Not including the fan how much should this job cost?


For just the master I have been quoted 253 labor only and probbably
much more for the downstairs.


What do you guys think?


I'm assuming that there is no existing wiring in place. There are a few
variables to consider. Will the fans also have light kits? Do you want a
separate wall switch for the fan and one for the light kit? If so do you
want a dimmer for the light kit? Would you prefer to not have any wall
switches and just use the pull chains or a remote control for the fan and
light? I suggest that you go with wall switches as frequent pulling on the
chains can wear out those switches prematurely and to pay someone to replace
them might add up to the cost of the fan. The wall switches are good if you
decide to get rid of the fan in the future and install a regular light
fixture instead. If you decide to have one wall switch for the fan and
light kit you will be going forth and back between the pull chain and wall
switch to shut the light off and leave the fan on.

Since there is no access for the living room, some holes will need to be
made in the ceiling and wall so that wiring can be installed. Will you be
making the necessary patches to these holes or do you want the electrician
to do it? Are you going to be responsible for repainting the walls and
ceiling after the holes have been patched or do you want the contractor to
do it?


Hi John,

To answer your question, the fan I want has lights built in to it, it
isn't a kit or anything. The fans, which are both the same come with
remote controls. Does this mean I don't need a wall switch?
Shouldn't the remove me enough? The fans I am getting are really high
quality fans and look really good, I doubt we will replace them before/
if we ever move.

This was a question I wanted to ask. Do electricials repair that
drywall for the damage that is done when peforming the job? How is
this normally repaired?

So guys, thanks for the response. I am in the middle of getting more
quotes. It seems like there is some agreement that 253 for no pre
existing wiring, with access through a attic crawlspace is too much.

I am correct in this assumption?

John
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaulted Ceiling--Installing Ceiling Fans Dave Combs Home Repair 0 July 31st 05 02:24 AM
How much should it cost for an electrician to add an electrical outlet ? jo Home Ownership 1 June 24th 05 04:26 AM
OT - costs for installing new window EN UK diy 1 April 18th 05 10:20 AM
Installing Ceiling Fan with Red wire on electrical box. Josh Home Repair 20 July 31st 03 11:53 AM
Installing Ceiling Fan with Red wire on electrical box. Josh Home Ownership 8 July 31st 03 11:53 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.