Posted to alt.home.repair

Default H2O heater pressure relief pipe joins AC condensate drain?

Just closed on a house on Friday.

While examining the AC condensate drain, I noticed that the pipe coming from
the pressure relief valve on the hot water heater joins it. (Actually, it
_used_ to join it; now that joint is completely loose.) The condensate
drain pipe then travels another couple feet and drains into the pipe for the
clothes washer drain.

Is that a good idea? Somehow I don't think so.

Also, the pipe they used coming off the relief value is PVC not copper. Is
that good?

TIA,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 25, 5:51*am, "sinister" wrote:
Just closed on a house on Friday.

While examining the AC condensate drain, I noticed that the pipe coming from
the pressure relief valve on the hot water heater joins it. *(Actually, it
_used_ to join it; now that joint is completely loose.) *The condensate
drain pipe then travels another couple feet and drains into the pipe for the
clothes washer drain.

Is that a good idea? *Somehow I don't think so.

Condensate drain volume is relatively small and not under pressure so
it may be OK if the joint is simply loose and not allowing condensate
to drip on the floor.

Also, the pipe they used coming off the relief value is PVC not copper. *Is
that good?

If your building code allows it, there is no problem. Your City
Building Inspector will know; give him a call. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-06-25, sinister wrote:

While examining the AC condensate drain, I noticed that the pipe
coming from the pressure relief valve on the hot water heater joins
it. (Actually, it _used_ to join it; now that joint is completely
loose.) The condensate drain pipe then travels another couple feet
and drains into the pipe for the clothes washer drain. Is that a
good idea? Somehow I don't think so.

No, it is not a good idea. The pipe on the pressure relief valve
should be a single straight piece terminating about 6"-12" above the
floor. Most plumbing codes do not allow additional fittings on it or
piping it to a drain. If the valve operates, you want to be aware of
it, as it is a sign of a problem.

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-06-25, sinister wrote:

While examining the AC condensate drain, I noticed that the pipe
coming from the pressure relief valve on the hot water heater joins
it. (Actually, it _used_ to join it; now that joint is completely
loose.) The condensate drain pipe then travels another couple feet
and drains into the pipe for the clothes washer drain. Is that a
good idea? Somehow I don't think so.

No, it is not a good idea. The pipe on the pressure relief valve
should be a single straight piece terminating about 6"-12" above the
floor. Most plumbing codes do not allow additional fittings on it or
piping it to a drain. If the valve operates, you want to be aware of
it, as it is a sign of a problem.

Mine goes up to the attic, across, then down through a wall, and exits the
house about a foot above ground level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-06-25, sinister wrote:

While examining the AC condensate drain, I noticed that the pipe
coming from the pressure relief valve on the hot water heater joins
it. *(Actually, it _used_ to join it; now that joint is completely
loose.) *The condensate drain pipe then travels another couple feet
and drains into the pipe for the clothes washer drain. *Is that a
good idea? *Somehow I don't think so.

No, it is not a good idea. *The pipe on the pressure relief valve
should be a single straight piece terminating about 6"-12" above the
floor. *Most plumbing codes do not allow additional fittings on it or
piping it to a drain. *If the valve operates, you want to be aware of
it, as it is a sign of a problem.

Cheers, Wayne

I'd like to see _that_ code specification. The 6" bit is correct as a
non-siphon termination is required, but it is recommended that all
PRV's terminated in a safe drain, not on the floor. If you hear
spashing on the floor you have two problems, what caused the valve to
operate and what damage is all that water on the floor going to cause.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-06-25, sinister wrote:

[...]

Is there any technical sense to the term _safe_ drain?

I don't see a floor drain in that part of the basement. How likely is it
that a PRV is going to operate and let out tons of water?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-06-25, sinister wrote:

[...]

that a PRV is going to operate and let out tons of water?- Hide quoted text -

It happens. They do stick open but the most common is a failure to
close all the way with a constant leak until replaced. Mostly it is
just a drip rather than a stream.

As for your installation: I can't see one being terminated in the AC
drain line. The only ones I have seen are small diameter tubing that
is not rated for hot water.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
snip

As for your installation: I can't see one being terminated in the AC
drain line. The only ones I have seen are small diameter tubing that
is not rated for hot water.

Yeah, looking at it, it pretty much looks crazy. Though the AC condensate
line setup is crazy too (I started a different thread on that). HVAC guy
came in yesterday and redid it.

Harry K