Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buying USED tools

In general, would you consider buying used power tools if the usage is for
one project and after that would be rare and occasional use?

By means of used tools I mean something that is previously used and "look"
beat up like those people sell on ebay. I don't mean original manufacturer
reconditioned tools.

What are some pros and cons? To me if it's cordless I am worried about the
battery.

And if you would consider it, what would a reasonable price point be? I
have seen a new tool with free shipping on Amazon for $150.00 and someone is
offering an equivalent tool that is all beat up with no battery no case no
manual and it went to $79 with $30 shipping seems totally out of line to me.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

MiamiCuse wrote:
In general, would you consider buying used power tools if the usage is for
one project and after that would be rare and occasional use?

By means of used tools I mean something that is previously used and "look"
beat up like those people sell on ebay. I don't mean original manufacturer
reconditioned tools.

What are some pros and cons? To me if it's cordless I am worried about the
battery.

And if you would consider it, what would a reasonable price point be? I
have seen a new tool with free shipping on Amazon for $150.00 and someone is
offering an equivalent tool that is all beat up with no battery no case no
manual and it went to $79 with $30 shipping seems totally out of line to me.

Depends...

Mostly on what the tool is and how much usage...a power pipe threader
for a basement bath addition; no...a [something else of your choice]; maybe.

As for _what_, used on eBay for hand power tools is a crap shoot--some
are estate sales or the like, others are just don't want/need, others
are unloading junk. Hard to tell the difference other than to avoid the
large resellers that obviously don't know much about any individual
tool's condition.

As for price, whatever you're comfortable with. The example is
questionable because by the description it could be two drills but the
new one is an offshore while the other is the body of a Milwaukee and
the purchaser already has another of the same kind w/ matching batteries
and charger, etc., ...

In the end, it's a personal decision...

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
In general, would you consider buying used power tools if the usage is for
one project and after that would be rare and occasional use?

By means of used tools I mean something that is previously used and "look"
beat up like those people sell on ebay. I don't mean original manufacturer
reconditioned tools.

What are some pros and cons? To me if it's cordless I am worried about the
battery.

And if you would consider it, what would a reasonable price point be? I
have seen a new tool with free shipping on Amazon for $150.00 and someone is
offering an equivalent tool that is all beat up with no battery no case no
manual and it went to $79 with $30 shipping seems totally out of line to me.

MC

These brand new tools are good for 2 or 3 projects, and often when on
sale, cheaper than used:
http://www.harborfrieght.com/
You can print out an internet sale item and take that to your local
store and they will honor the internet price.

Kevin
Posted to alt.home.repair

Some tools are built to last forever, so estate sales may be a good
source. Don't get the cheap stuff there -- it may have been a
contributing factor to the former owner's demise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
In general, would you consider buying used power tools if the usage
is for one project and after that would be rare and occasional use?

By means of used tools I mean something that is previously used and
"look" beat up like those people sell on ebay. I don't mean original
manufacturer reconditioned tools.

What are some pros and cons? To me if it's cordless I am worried
about the battery.

And if you would consider it, what would a reasonable price point be?
I have seen a new tool with free shipping on Amazon for $150.00 and
someone is offering an equivalent tool that is all beat up with no
battery no case no manual and it went to $79 with $30 shipping seems
totally out of line to me.

Of course experience is going to vary.

I just bought an ancient (~1986) riding lawnmower (Snapper) from a
Craigslist seller for $150.00. My son and I had an enjoyable time cleaning
it up and repainting it. We spent an additional $20 for a new battery.

Son-of-a-bitch is a TANK! It goes "Chugga-chugga," works like a charm, and
doesn't burn much wood at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Quote: MiamiCuse wrote on Sat, 21 June 2008 10:46
In general, would you consider buying used power tools if the usage is for
one project and after that would be rare and occasional use?

Thats an interesting idea. However I usually used the project as justification to get a new toy (I mean tool)

Huah Huah Huah (Tim Taylor Tool Time Grunts)

--
Richard Thoms
Founder - Top Service Pros, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

If your looking for a one time use tool don't rule out
pawn shops. there you can even test the tool before paying
for it. I buy more tools in a year than most people use in a life
time and I'll be happy to tell you to stay away from Harbor freight
corded tools. I have bought a few and every one of them I've had
to rewire the switches. Ebay is your biggest crap shoot, I've bought
a few reconditioned and have been more satisfied than H/F but you
will want to stay with name brand. If your in the Midwest however,
there is menards. Not the greatest store, but they have an inexpensive
brand they sell called Tool shop. Now I know a lot of people will
want
to disagree with me but I have yet to buy one of these corded tools
that didn't surprise the heck out of me as to how well they work. I
don't know who really makes them but if you look at the drill presses
next to the jet tools they are amazingly similar. Last but not least,
stay away from any used cordless tools.
Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

You got a woody? Neat!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

I just bought an ancient (~1986) riding lawnmower (Snapper) from a
Craigslist seller for $150.00. My son and I had an enjoyable time cleaning
it up and repainting it. We spent an additional $20 for a new battery.

Son-of-a-bitch is a TANK! It goes "Chugga-chugga," works like a charm, and
doesn't burn much wood at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 11:46:46 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote Re Buying USED tools:

In general, would you consider buying used power tools if the usage is for
one project and after that would be rare and occasional use?

In general, yes; *provided* I could verify that the tool is
functional.

And if you would consider it, what would a reasonable price point be? I
have seen a new tool with free shipping on Amazon for $150.00 and someone is
offering an equivalent tool that is all beat up with no battery no case no
manual and it went to $79 with $30 shipping seems totally out of line to me.

Yes, IMO it's totally out of line. I wouldn't consider it.

My price point on such items is 50% or less of the list/delivered
price, depending on circumstances. In this case, the "shipping"
implies that there is no way for you to verify the functionality of
the tool, e.g. you can't plug it in to see how well it works. I
personally wouldn't consider it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

In general, would you consider buying used power tools if the usage is for
one project and after that would be rare and occasional use?

By means of used tools I mean something that is previously used and "look"
beat up like those people sell on ebay. I don't mean original manufacturer
reconditioned tools.

What are some pros and cons? To me if it's cordless I am worried about the
battery.

And if you would consider it, what would a reasonable price point be? I
have seen a new tool with free shipping on Amazon for $150.00 and someone is
offering an equivalent tool that is all beat up with no battery no case no
manual and it went to $79 with $30 shipping seems totally out of line to me.

MC

I would absolutely buy a used power tool if I could meet the seller in
person and try the tool before I buy. Otherwise, I wouldn't consider it.

We've done the cordless debate a few times here recently, but not having
put my two cents in at the time I'll do it now: For me, cordless at home
doesn't make sense. The hassle of taking care of batteries does not
outweigh the convenience. The teeter-totter's fulcrum is frequency of
use.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jun 21, 11:46*am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
In general, would you consider buying used power tools if the usage is for
one project and after that would be rare and occasional use?

By means of used tools I mean something that is previously used and "look"
beat up like those people sell on ebay. *I don't mean original manufacturer
reconditioned tools.

What are some pros and cons? *To me if it's cordless I am worried about the
battery.

And if you would consider it, what would a reasonable price point be? *I
have seen a new tool with free shipping on Amazon for $150.00 and someone is
offering an equivalent tool that is all beat up with no battery no case no
manual and it went to $79 with $30 shipping seems totally out of line to me.

MC

I have often bought used tools esp. at yard sales etc. especially hand
tools (that's the only place I can afford to buy Snap-On!) or handheld
power tools if they are a quality brand like Milwaukee, Makita, etc.
I have no fear of doing this, of course I only buy cheap, e.g. I got a
nice Makita drill for $5 and it just needed a new power cord. If it
had ended up not worth fixing I would have taken the chuck off of it,
thrown the rest away, and not really worried about it.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Jun 21, 11:46*am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
In general, would you consider buying used power tools if the usage is for
one project and after that would be rare and occasional use?

By means of used tools I mean something that is previously used and "look"
beat up like those people sell on ebay. *I don't mean original manufacturer
reconditioned tools.

What are some pros and cons? *To me if it's cordless I am worried about the
battery.

And if you would consider it, what would a reasonable price point be? *I
have seen a new tool with free shipping on Amazon for $150.00 and someone is
offering an equivalent tool that is all beat up with no battery no case no
manual and it went to $79 with $30 shipping seems totally out of line to me.

MC

yeah, for that one shot use I'd buy used, and have; not so much ebay,
but tag sales and craigslist. but i've been gunshy about cordless, for
the reason you cite.
Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
news
In general, would you consider buying used power tools if the usage is for
one project and after that would be rare and occasional use?

By means of used tools I mean something that is previously used and "look"
beat up like those people sell on ebay. I don't mean original
manufacturer reconditioned tools.

What are some pros and cons? To me if it's cordless I am worried about
the battery.

And if you would consider it, what would a reasonable price point be? I
have seen a new tool with free shipping on Amazon for $150.00 and someone
is offering an equivalent tool that is all beat up with no battery no case
no manual and it went to $79 with $30 shipping seems totally out of line
to me.

MC

For one time project, I'll buy new tools at Harbor Freight - cheap enough.
Given enough time those one time projects usually turn out into multiple
projects.

I will buy used tools, stationary power tools in particular, as some of the
old stuff are better quality and will last forever.