Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric dryer for heat

To offset the price of oil, I plan to supplement my furnace with
electric heat next winter. I am thinking of running the outlet from my
dryer into the house (when not drying clothes). Would this be
efficient?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 9:00*am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
To offset the price of oil, I plan to supplement my furnace with
electric heat next winter. *I am thinking of running the outlet from my
dryer into the house (when not drying clothes). *Would this be
efficient?

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

Sure, go for it. You'll go right to sleep, and all your heating bill
woes will be solved. Forever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
To offset the price of oil, I plan to supplement my furnace with
electric heat next winter. I am thinking of running the outlet from my
dryer into the house (when not drying clothes). Would this be
efficient?

Are you planning to run the 4" air vent from your dryer into the house to
supplement your oil heat? This topic has been discussed in this group
already so you might want to do a search to get info. I think that it is a
general consensus that electric heat is not as efficient as direct fuel
burning and consequently more expensive. This topic has also been discussed
here. Probably your best bet is to cut your losses. Get low loss windows.
Insulate the hell out of your house. Seal every nook and cranny.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 8:00*am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
To offset the price of oil, I plan to supplement my furnace with
electric heat next winter. *I am thinking of running the outlet from my
dryer into the house (when not drying clothes). *Would this be
efficient?

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

No it wont be efficent you will waste alot of money running the drum,
it will be messy depositing dust, it will wear out the dryer fast.
Just get space heaters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 9:00*am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
To offset the price of oil, I plan to supplement my furnace with
electric heat next winter. *I am thinking of running the outlet from my
dryer into the house (when not drying clothes). *Would this be
efficient?

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

I think what you want is one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Dundas-Jafine-...884374&sr=1-11

I wouldn't use it though because of all of the humidty coming out of
the dryer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Jun 19, 8:00 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
To offset the price of oil, I plan to supplement my furnace with
electric heat next winter. I am thinking of running the outlet from my
dryer into the house (when not drying clothes). Would this be
efficient?

---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

No it wont be efficent you will waste alot of money running the drum,
it will be messy depositing dust, it will wear out the dryer fast.
Just get space heaters.

Hi,
And dealing with the timer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
On Jun 19, 9:00 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
To offset the price of oil, I plan to supplement my furnace with
electric heat next winter. I am thinking of running the outlet from my
dryer into the house (when not drying clothes). Would this be
efficient?

---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I think what you want is one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Dundas-Jafine-...884374&sr=1-11

I wouldn't use it though because of all of the humidty coming out of
the dryer.

Mike
buy a union suit and 55 gallon drum of Ben Gay (the one that gets hot for
your body)
apply liberally weekly, don the suit, cut it off in the spring
bonus.. people won't be hanging around you so you can have the heat set very
low

Posted to alt.home.repair

---MIKE--- wrote:
To offset the price of oil, I plan to supplement my furnace with
electric heat next winter. I am thinking of running the outlet from my
dryer into the house (when not drying clothes). Would this be
efficient?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I use a sweatshirt or flannel to supplement my furnace.

Greg M
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 11:56�am, Greg M wrote:
---MIKE--- wrote:
To offset the price of oil, I plan to supplement my furnace with
electric heat next winter. �I am thinking of running the outlet from my
dryer into the house (when not drying clothes). �Would this be
efficient?

� � � � � � � � � ---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

� (44� 15' �N - Elevation 1580')

I use a sweatshirt or flannel to supplement my furnace.

Greg M

the humidity is a good thing, in the winter moist air makes you feel
warmer at a lower temperature

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 3:53Â*pm, " wrote:
On Jun 19, 11:56�am, Greg M wrote:

---MIKE--- wrote:
To offset the price of oil, I plan to supplement my furnace with
electric heat next winter. �I am thinking of running the outlet from my
dryer into the house (when not drying clothes). �Would this be
efficient?

� � � � � � � � � ---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
� (44� 15' �N - Elevation 1580')

I use a sweatshirt or flannel to supplement my furnace.

Greg M

the humidity is a good thing, in the winter moist air makes you feel
warmer at a lower temperature

Seems to be a lot of misreading of information here!!!!!
1) If vented into the house instead of outside, an 'electric' clothes
dryer not full of damp/wet clothes will not put humidity into the
house. With no damp clothes there is no humidity.
2) In fact a device was/is sold that allows one to divert warm/hot air
from the outlet duct (when not drying clothes) into the room where the
dryer is located.
3) There was/is also a heat/exchanger device incorporating a separate
fan that while it did not divert the damp warm air from the dryer
going outside claimed to recover some of that heat and blow it into
the house.
3) The cost of oil (or gas) heating versus electric is a function of
how much each fuel costs and the efficiency, under your weather
conditions of the heating devices.
In this part of Canada, for example, where most of the electrcity is
generated by existing hydro power, electric heating is definitely
proving much cheaper than say oil. We do not have gas (except bottled/
delivered propane which is very expensive).
4) BTW There are two rooms in our house that are mainly heated by by
the other electrical equipment in therm.
a) One is the approx 100 sq foot bedroom that contains two computers
and some other miscellaneous gear. Several hundred watts from those.
b) A row of six conventional bulbs in our smallish bathroom that keep
it more than warm so that the provided 500 watt baseboard rarely cuts
in.
5) One sort of doubts the benefit of chucking warm dry dryer air into
the house without ducting it where it would best suit?
Have not done a 'recent' study of the comparative costs (here) of oil
versus electric heat. But with heating oil somewhere around one dollar
per litre (that's $3.25 to $4.00 per US gallon, versus about 10.5
cents per kilowatt hour it is presently 'no contest' or a win for
electric. Also individual room thermostats enable one to turn off
rooms that get little use.
We are hearing horrifying stories of older persons spending over $300
per month for oil and then have an electric bill as well. And this is
a LONG winter here.
And then there is my basement workshop wood stove only lit when am
working down there! The stove also reduces the amount of garbage/trash
put out to maybe one bag every three/four weeks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:24:26 -0700 (PDT), terry
wrote:

[...]

Hi Terry,

The following table might help folks calculate the potential savings
of electric heat versus oil. The left column is the operating
efficiency of the oil-fired boiler (AFUE rating) and the second column
is the number of kWh of heat obtained from each gallon based on this
rating (net). The columns to the right are the breakeven points based
on the cost of a gallon of fuel oil.

For example, if a homeowner has a new high-efficiency boiler (85%
AFUE) and pays $4.50 a gallon, electric heat is more economical when
electricity rates are 13 cents per kWh or less. In the case of an
older, less efficient boiler (65% AFUE) and at $4.75 per gallon,
electricity is less costly at up to 17.9 cents per kWh.

AFUE kWh $4.00 $4.25 $4.50 $4.75 $5.00
85% 34.6 0.1155 0.1227 0.1300 0.1372 0.1444
80% 32.6 0.1227 0.1304 0.1381 0.1457 0.1534
75% 30.6 0.1309 0.1391 0.1473 0.1555 0.1636
70% 28.5 0.1403 0.1490 0.1578 0.1666 0.1753
65% 26.5 0.1511 0.1605 0.1699 0.1794 0.1888

Additional savings by way of zone or spot heating would further
enhance electricity's competitiveness vis-a-vis oil.

Cheers,
Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

How much monoxide does an electric dryer put out? Would it really kill him
in his sleep? I'm so terrified, I'm going to put all my electric appliances
outdoors. Save me!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Conway" wrote in message
On Jun 19, 9:00 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
To offset the price of oil, I plan to supplement my furnace with
electric heat next winter. I am thinking of running the outlet from my
dryer into the house (when not drying clothes). Would this be
efficient?

---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Sure, go for it. You'll go right to sleep, and all your heating bill
woes will be solved. Forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You'd ought to call your utility company, and ask the price per therm for
electric versus whatever dead dino remains you presently burn. I suspect the
dino juice is cheaper. But, please do make the call.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
To offset the price of oil, I plan to supplement my furnace with
electric heat next winter. I am thinking of running the outlet from my
dryer into the house (when not drying clothes). Would this be
efficient?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

The OP said he'd run the dryer at night, empty. In any case, during the
winter, some humidity really is good.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

I think what you want is one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Dundas-Jafine-...884374&sr=1-11

I wouldn't use it though because of all of the humidty coming out of
the dryer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I used a toaster once. Friend of mine had run out of propane. I brought over
space heater, and also pushed the toaster every time I walked by it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jack" wrote in message
.. .

I suspect the OP is trolling. No one would be dumb enough to use their
dryer for heating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
To offset the price of oil, I plan to supplement my furnace with
electric heat next winter. I am thinking of running the outlet from my
dryer into the house (when not drying clothes). Would this be
efficient?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I did a comparison with fuel cost here in CT. Electric at 17¢ is still
higher in price until oil exceeds $5.30 a gallon.
Plug in the numbers here
http://www.pelletheat.org/3/residential/compareFuel.cfm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"John Grabowski" wrote:

I think that it is a general consensus that electric heat is not
as efficient as direct fuel burning and consequently more expensive.

I think you are mistaken.

Electric resistance heat is virtually 100% efficient. No combustion
fuel comes close.

You'll notice I did not address CO$T. Given highly efficient equipment,
natural gas fuel is less expensive. The same can probably be said about
LP gas.

your best bet is to cut your losses. Get low loss windows.
Insulate the hell out of your house. Seal every nook and cranny.

Good advise. Directing a clothes dryer outlet into living space is a
BAD idea for many reasons, electric included.
--

JR

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Paul- Hide quoted text -

An oil unit boiler has a pump, a furnace a blower, neither of which
are part of AFUE, pumps might take 120-150 w, a blower easily 375w, so
the cost of competing electric heat is a bit lower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hi Mark,

The electricity consumed by these auxiliary devices wouldn't make
electric heat any more (or less) competitive, provided the boiler or
furnace is located within the home's thermal envelope. Put another
way, the electricity used to operate the oil burner and circulator
pump/furnace fan is no cheaper nor more expensive than the electricity
consumed by a portable space heater.

The key thing to remember is that the electricity consumed by these
secondary devices offsets a portion of the home's oil demand, so if
the electricity used to operate the boiler is $20.00 a year, say, you
need to subtract the value of the oil that this electricity in turn
displaces, and that will be determined by the cost of the fuel oil and
the boiler's AFUE.

Cheers,
Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 8:00 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
To offset the price of oil, I plan to supplement my furnace with
electric heat next winter. I am thinking of running the outlet from my
dryer into the house (when not drying clothes). Would this be
efficient?

Kinda surprised about some of the responses here. For an electric
dryer, there is NO carbon monoxide. None at all. Zero. There is no
health risk I can envision by doing this.

The issue about expense of electric versus oil/gas depends on whether
you are venting the air from a load of drying clothes into the house
(in which case you get the heat for free -- you'd otherwise just be
venting your heat outside). Of course, then you get the humidity as
well, which may or may not be what you want. That would keep your skin
from drying out in the winter, but would leaves puddle under your cool
windows. I could see venting the dryer into the house during the last
stages of the dry cycle, when most of the water is gone.

But I would not run this through your HVAC system. Last thing you need
is condensation in the ductwork.

Just using a clothes dryer as a standalone heater blower seems
expensive. In most places, per BTU produced, electricity is more
expensive than oil/gas, as most people are pointing out. I mean, just
turn on all the lights in your house. It'll do the same thing as your
electric dryer, but warm all your rooms uniformly, instead of just the
area around your dryer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You have to run the numbers with often electric resistance heating isn't out
of the question compared to NG or oil. You have to run your own numbers.

The NG & oil have to be vented (with the exception of "ventless" NG or LPG
heaters). From 5% to 25% of your fuel goes up the stack and the air that
goes up is replaced by cold outside air.

Small electric heaters are quite cheap ($20-$30 or so). You can place them
EXACTLY where you want the heat and seat the house thermostat to something
like 60 ot 65F.

Venting the dryer inside during the winter might be OK if the excess
humidity doesn't cause a problem. You might want to add an extra lint
filter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Lassiter" wrote in message
On Jun 19, 8:00 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
[...]

I'm surprised at some of the answers too. He said he it going to run it
when there are no clothes in the dryer, just using it as a heater. Won't be
any humidity from it that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm surprised at some of the answers too. He said he it going to run it
when there are no clothes in the dryer, just using it as a heater. Won't be
any humidity from it that way.

Yes, that was exactly my point. It is clear that one could save
heating money by venting the dryer into the house while drying your
clothes (which had not been noted). It is not clear (and, actually,
pretty unlikely) that you would if just using it as a standalone
heater without it drying clothes. Part of my point was that, to some
degree, humid air could be advantageous.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Doug Lassiter wrote:
I'm surprised at some of the answers too. He said he it going to run it
when there are no clothes in the dryer, just using it as a heater. Won't be
any humidity from it that way.

Yes, that was exactly my point. It is clear that one could save
heating money by venting the dryer into the house while drying your
clothes (which had not been noted). ...

Actually, I think somebody had made the point...

I've seen ads for venting filters to do precisely that offered on late
night TV. I think one would require almost a HEPA filter to collect the
finest of lint that would collect over time if did it often.

Agree totally that an electric clothes dryer is a sorry for a space
heater--for one minor thing, they're usually not installed where one
really wants/needs the output heat.