Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3-way switch, always hot

I just bought a 3-way switch. I notice that when hot wire is connected
to the black screw, both traveler wires are always hot no matter how I
flip the switch (the hot wire coming out of the other 3-way switch is
always hot, not responding to the position of this switch).

I measured the voltage across the black and either of the two traveler
screws and it was 0. However, if I measure the resistance, it does seem
to work (0 between the black and one of the traveler screws and infinite
if the switch is flipped. Same for both traveler screws.)

This doesn't make sense, does it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Smith" wrote in message
I just bought a 3-way switch. I notice that when hot wire is connected
to the black screw, both traveler wires are always hot no matter how I
flip the switch (the hot wire coming out of the other 3-way switch is
always hot, not responding to the position of this switch).

I measured the voltage across the black and either of the two traveler
screws and it was 0. However, if I measure the resistance, it does seem
to work (0 between the black and one of the traveler screws and infinite
if the switch is flipped. Same for both traveler screws.)

This doesn't make sense, does it?

Throw away your meter and hook up a light bulb to the circuit instead. Then
report back here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"John Smith" wrote in message
I just bought a 3-way switch. I notice that when hot wire is connected
to the black screw, both traveler wires are always hot no matter how I
flip the switch (the hot wire coming out of the other 3-way switch is
always hot, not responding to the position of this switch).

I measured the voltage across the black and either of the two traveler
screws and it was 0. However, if I measure the resistance, it does seem
to work (0 between the black and one of the traveler screws and infinite
if the switch is flipped. Same for both traveler screws.)

This doesn't make sense, does it?

Throw away your meter and hook up a light bulb to the circuit instead.
Then report back here.

I love it!!! One would tend to believe the consummate professional would
advocate only the newest, most technically advanced test equipment is
adequate to properly diagnose these problems... and what does he recommend?
"Scrap the freaking meter, and get a light bulb" Works for me

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:14:36 -0400, John Smith wrote:

I just bought a 3-way switch. I notice that when hot wire is connected
to the black screw, both traveler wires are always hot no matter how I
flip the switch (the hot wire coming out of the other 3-way switch is
always hot, not responding to the position of this switch).

I measured the voltage across the black and either of the two traveler
screws and it was 0. However, if I measure the resistance, it does seem
to work (0 between the black and one of the traveler screws and infinite
if the switch is flipped. Same for both traveler screws.)

This doesn't make sense, does it?

http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/in...way-switch.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:14:36 -0400, John Smith wrote:

I just bought a 3-way switch. I notice that when hot wire is connected
to the black screw, both traveler wires are always hot no matter how I
flip the switch (the hot wire coming out of the other 3-way switch is
always hot, not responding to the position of this switch).

I measured the voltage across the black and either of the two traveler
screws and it was 0. However, if I measure the resistance, it does seem
to work (0 between the black and one of the traveler screws and infinite
if the switch is flipped. Same for both traveler screws.)

This doesn't make sense, does it?

You might want to bookmark these.

http://www.electrical-online.com/wiringdiagrams.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 2:39*pm, RLM wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:14:36 -0400, John Smith wrote:
I just bought a 3-way switch. I notice that when hot wire is connected
to the black screw, both traveler wires are always hot no matter how I
flip the switch (the hot wire coming out of the other 3-way switch is
always hot, not responding to the position of this switch).

I measured the voltage across the black and either of the two traveler
screws and it was 0. However, if I measure the resistance, it does seem
to work (0 between the black and one of the traveler screws and infinite
if the switch is flipped. Same for both traveler screws.)

This doesn't make sense, does it?

You might want to bookmark these.

http://www.electrical-online.com/wiringdiagrams.htm

.
Agree use a lamp!
He's either picking up induced voltage from adjacent 'live' wires, or
capacitance coupling through switch? Cos even cheap meters are
sufficiently sensitive to do so; OR there is potential coming back on
the 'other' wire from the other 'switch' of the two switches used in
a so called '3 way switch' set up.
PS. Why do we call it '3 way'? Maybe cos of the usually three wires
between the two switches (compared to the usual two for a non-3 way
set up)?
OR ........ ?
Mostly it's a two switch arrangement; typically one switch at top and
another at bottom of stairs! Although there is a special 3rd switch
available (although never seen one) that swaps over the two carriers
of a double pole switch to allow use of witches in three locations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just bought a 3-way switch. I notice that when hot wire is connected
to the black screw, both traveler wires are always hot no matter how I
flip the switch (the hot wire coming out of the other 3-way switch is
always hot, not responding to the position of this switch).

I measured the voltage across the black and either of the two traveler
screws and it was 0. However, if I measure the resistance, it does seem
to work (0 between the black and one of the traveler screws and infinite
if the switch is flipped. Same for both traveler screws.)

This doesn't make sense, does it?

You didn't say if the switches ever worked.

If you just bought a new switch, the chances the new one is bad are
low.

It sounds like the wiring from the other switch may be the one that is
wrong.

If the switches were working properly before you "fixed" them, then
what I would do is take both switches off and locate the hot. (only
one of the 6 should be hot.

I would then put the new switch at that spot and check the other side.

Take your tester to the other point and see if the new switch makes
two of the wires hot by switching back and forth. The wire that
doesn't go hot should be the common.

Reminder: Always turn the power off before making any wiring changes.

A good 3 way will have 0 ohms between the common one traveler in one
position, and infinite ohms between the common to the other traveler.
When you flip the switch you should have the reverse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message
On Jun 15, 2:39 pm, RLM wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:14:36 -0400, John Smith wrote:
I just bought a 3-way switch. I notice that when hot wire is connected
to the black screw, both traveler wires are always hot no matter how I
flip the switch (the hot wire coming out of the other 3-way switch is
always hot, not responding to the position of this switch).

I measured the voltage across the black and either of the two traveler
screws and it was 0. However, if I measure the resistance, it does seem
to work (0 between the black and one of the traveler screws and infinite
if the switch is flipped. Same for both traveler screws.)

This doesn't make sense, does it?

You might want to bookmark these.

http://www.electrical-online.com/wiringdiagrams.htm

..
Agree use a lamp!
He's either picking up induced voltage from adjacent 'live' wires, or
capacitance coupling through switch? Cos even cheap meters are
sufficiently sensitive to do so; OR there is potential coming back on
the 'other' wire from the other 'switch' of the two switches used in
a so called '3 way switch' set up.
PS. Why do we call it '3 way'? Maybe cos of the usually three wires
between the two switches (compared to the usual two for a non-3 way
set up)?
OR ........ ?
Mostly it's a two switch arrangement; typically one switch at top and
another at bottom of stairs! Although there is a special 3rd switch
available (although never seen one) that swaps over the two carriers
of a double pole switch to allow use of witches in three locations.

You never use 3way witches in three locations. You must use at least one
warlock(4way) between the two witches

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:02:18 -0700 (PDT), terry
wrote:

PS. Why do we call it '3 way'? Maybe cos of the usually three wires
between the two switches (compared to the usual two for a non-3 way
set up)?

It's written on the box? :-/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-06-15, John Smith wrote:

I measured the voltage across the black and either of the two traveler
screws and it was 0.

This is to be expected, as there should be no voltage drop across a
switch, since there is no load.

However, if I measure the resistance, it does seem to work (0
between the black and one of the traveler screws and infinite if the
switch is flipped. Same for both traveler screws.)

This suggests the switch is fine and you have miswired the circuit.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Smith wrote:
I just bought a 3-way switch. I notice that when hot wire is connected
to the black screw, both traveler wires are always hot no matter how I
flip the switch (the hot wire coming out of the other 3-way switch is
always hot, not responding to the position of this switch).

I measured the voltage across the black and either of the two traveler
screws and it was 0. However, if I measure the resistance, it does seem
to work (0 between the black and one of the traveler screws and infinite
if the switch is flipped. Same for both traveler screws.)

This doesn't make sense, does it?

Assuming both switches are in good shape, and the wiring is correct, an
explanation would be that the two traveler wires have somehow gotten
shorted to each other.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia