Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to recharge a whirlpool refrigerator: gd5nhgxkq01

Does anyone know how to recharge whirlpool gd5nhgxkq01 refrigerator?
or have a service manual?

What type freon do these units take...r134a, r12, r22, etc?
Posted to alt.home.repair

First, it's usually R-22 which can't be sold to an unlicensed tech.

Second, refrigerators usually don't have service valves on them. You
have to buy clamp on piercing valves.

Third, a refrigerator is a sealed system. If it's low on refrigerant,
it's because you have a leak. If you don't fix the leak and keep
adding refrigerant, you'll end up diluting the oil and burning up the
compressor.

Does anyone know how to recharge whirlpool gd5nhgxkq01 refrigerator?
or have a service manual?

What type freon do these units take...r134a, r12, r22, etc?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 6:58 pm, inetquestion wrote:
Does anyone know how to recharge whirlpool gd5nhgxkq01 refrigerator?
or have a service manual?

What type freon do these units take...r134a, r12, r22, etc?

Ok..I answered one of my on questions, its r134a refrigerant. However
as a couple of people already pointed out there are no service ports
to be found. If I decide to replace the compressor is there a way to
make it easy to vaccum down and add new freon? (such as soldering in
a port) Last but not least how much does the system hold?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 8:33 pm, inetquestion wrote:
On Jun 10, 6:58 wrote:

Does anyone know how to recharge whirlpool gd5nhgxkq01 refrigerator?
or have a service manual?

What type freon do these units take...r134a, r12, r22, etc?

Ok..I answered one of my on questions, its r134a refrigerant. However
as a couple of people already pointed out there are no service ports
to be found. If I decide to replace the compressor is there a way to
make it easy to vaccum down and add new freon? (such as soldering in
a port) Last but not least how much does the system hold?

anyone have a suggestion on where to buy a replacement compressor and
average prices?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 8:50 pm, inetquestion wrote:
On Jun 10, 8:33 wrote:

On Jun 10, 6:58 wrote:

Does anyone know how to recharge whirlpool gd5nhgxkq01 refrigerator?
or have a service manual?

What type freon do these units take...r134a, r12, r22, etc?

Ok..I answered one of my on questions, its r134a refrigerant. However
as a couple of people already pointed out there are no service ports
to be found. If I decide to replace the compressor is there a way to
make it easy to vaccum down and add new freon? (such as soldering in
a port) Last but not least how much does the system hold?

anyone have a suggestion on where to buy a replacement compressor and
average prices?

I found the compressor online for ~$180. Is this a descent price?

Whirlpool 8201558 Refrigerator Compressor
Direct Replacement for Whirlpool Part Number 2212192. Direct
Replacement
Whirlpool 8201558 $180.15

Posted to alt.home.repair

You cannot solder refrigeration lines--they have to be brazed. If
you're going to do that, you can braze in service ports. You'll also
need a swagging tool (not very expensive). As far as refrigerant
capacity, that should be listed on the model/serial number plate or in
a service manual. You'll need a very accurate scale to dispense the
refrigerant. Too much will acutally reduce cooling. Plus, you'll
probably need to add new oil and a filter/dryer.

Did the old compressor blow out? Or is it just leaking? If it's blown
out, you'll have to flush the whole system and possibly replace the
TMX valve (if it has one)

On Jun 10, 6:58 pm, inetquestion wrote:
Does anyone know how to recharge whirlpool gd5nhgxkq01 refrigerator?
or have a service manual?

What type freon do these units take...r134a, r12, r22, etc?

Ok..I answered one of my on questions, its r134a refrigerant. However
as a couple of people already pointed out there are no service ports
to be found. If I decide to replace the compressor is there a way to
make it easy to vaccum down and add new freon? (such as soldering in
a port) Last but not least how much does the system hold?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"inetquestion" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to recharge whirlpool gd5nhgxkq01 refrigerator?
or have a service manual?

What type freon do these units take...r134a, r12, r22, etc?

Don't waste your time or money. I did a couple of times. When they start
having this problem, they are just a money pit, and it's cheaper to get a
new one. Or used ones can be had very reasonable.

Just my experience, yours may vary. If you DO decide to try to save this
appliance, please keep us posted on how it works out in the long run.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 8:33 wrote:

On Jun 10, 6:58 wrote:

Does anyone know how to recharge whirlpool gd5nhgxkq01 refrigerator?
or have a service manual?

What type freon do these units take...r134a, r12, r22, etc?

Ok..I answered one of my on questions, its r134a refrigerant. However
as a couple of people already pointed out there are no service ports
to be found. If I decide to replace the compressor is there a way to
make it easy to vaccum down and add new freon? (such as soldering in
a port) Last but not least how much does the system hold?

anyone have a suggestion on where to buy a replacement compressor and
average prices?

I found the compressor online for ~$180. Is this a descent price?

Whirlpool 8201558 Refrigerator Compressor
Direct Replacement for Whirlpool Part Number 2212192. Direct
Replacement
Whirlpool 8201558 $180.15

If you have to ask these questions, I doubt you are going to have positive
results by trying to fix it yourself. I wouldn't waste the time or money.
What happens if it doesn't work, or only works temporarily? You will have
thrown that money in the dumper.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 11, 3:44 am, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
"inetquestion" wrote in message

Does anyone know how to recharge whirlpool gd5nhgxkq01 refrigerator?
or have a service manual?

What type freon do these units take...r134a, r12, r22, etc?

Don't waste your time or money. I did a couple of times. When they start
having this problem, they are just a money pit, and it's cheaper to get a
new one. Or used ones can be had very reasonable.

Just my experience, yours may vary. If you DO decide to try to save this
appliance, please keep us posted on how it works out in the long run.

Steve

A repairman came out this morning and diagnosed the problem as a
starter relay. Before I could come down and speak with him my wife
had hurried the guy out the door thinking all was well. I suppose it
would have been if the fridge were actually working. I think he
should have left me some ky jelly laying around since he charged me
$270 to replace a $40 part. I know a guy has to make a living, but
that seems high to me for less than 15 minutes on the site. After 30
minutes I touched the line going to the coils and they were as warm...
Posted to alt.home.repair

inetquestion wrote:

A repairman came out this morning and diagnosed the problem as a
starter relay. Before I could come down and speak with him my wife
had hurried the guy out the door thinking all was well. I suppose it
would have been if the fridge were actually working. I think he
should have left me some ky jelly laying around since he charged me
$270 to replace a $40 part. I know a guy has to make a living, but
that seems high to me for less than 15 minutes on the site. After 30
minutes I touched the line going to the coils and they were as warm...

I think the astronauts on the space station just replaced a $200 pump on
their toilet. Total charge for the trip comes to several hundred million
dollars.

You got off cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

One came to my house to look at an oven that was on lock and wouldn't
release. He charged me $70, and said it "needed everything" and that would
be about $500. That included a motherboard and other parts. I pulled the
oven, got out the repair sheet from the envelope, unplugged and plugged, and
read the error code. The part to replace was $35 online. I fixed it and
sent them a registered letter requesting my $70 back or I would go to the
local TV station's consumer complaint department. I got the money in less
than a week.

BTW, the last used fridge I bought for the garage was $60, and it's still
chugging away out there. I bought a nice used one for the house for $200.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to inetquestion, Douglas L Gray wrote:
I need to recharge my whirlpool frig.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...01-312226-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Douglas L Gray wrote:
I need to recharge my whirlpool frig.

Thank you for sharing your honey-do list...now get 'r dun!