Posted to alt.home.repair

Default slurry coat driveway

Generally speaking, how often should one do this? (newer asphalt drive in
SoCal)

thank you, OD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 28, 12:26�pm, "old dirtbeard" wrote:
Generally speaking, how often should one do this? (newer asphalt drive in
SoCal)

thank you, OD

I seal ever 2 years....... my driveway is now over 23 years old.

if i hadnt sealed it would be a potholed mess
Posted to alt.home.repair

"old dirtbeard" wrote in message
Generally speaking, how often should one do this? (newer asphalt drive in
SoCal)

thank you, OD

I do mine every 150 years. Anything sooner is a waste of money and too much
hard work. Only thing I do is fill any cracks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"old dirtbeard" wrote in message
Generally speaking, how often should one do this? (newer asphalt drive in
SoCal)

thank you, OD

Never. Parent's driveway has never been coated, and it was installed 27
years ago. They live near Buffalo NY.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 28, 2:39�pm, "Bob M." wrote:
"old dirtbeard" wrote in message

Generally speaking, how often should one do this? (newer asphalt drive in
SoCal)

thank you, OD

Never. �Parent's driveway has never been coated, and it was installed 27
years ago. They live near Buffalo NY.

california has little freeze thaw, but likely sun damage.

UV can be tough on everything.

to me its cheap insurance

Posted to alt.home.repair

My driveway is about five years old and getting "dry," starting to crack,
etc. It is over 4,000 sq.ft, though, has "curbs," so the estimates I have
are over a thousand dollars to patch and slurry seal. I was just hoping that
it is more like a once every five years rather than every two years.

We live on a private road where the neighborhood organization pays to slurry
coat our road, the city slurry coats the streets here, so maybe as hallerb
noted, we get a lot of UV here in SoCal and it could be cooking the life out
of the asphalt.

best,

OD

wrote in message
On Jun 28, 2:39?pm, "Bob M." wrote:
"old dirtbeard" wrote in message

Generally speaking, how often should one do this? (newer asphalt drive
in
SoCal)

thank you, OD

Never. ?Parent's driveway has never been coated, and it was installed 27
years ago. They live near Buffalo NY.

california has little freeze thaw, but likely sun damage.

UV can be tough on everything.

to me its cheap insurance

Posted to alt.home.repair

We live on a private road where the neighborhood organization pays to slurry
coat our road, the city slurry coats the streets here, so maybe as hallerb
noted, we get a lot of UV here in SoCal and it could be cooking the life out
of the asphalt.

best,

OD

call the company that does the neighborhood road, that contractor
being already on site is likely the lowest cost to do your
driveway.....

because of time, cost, and weather i skipped a coating and the
surface detoriated fast, in 4 years.

i may coat it twice this year, frankly the newer water based coatings
arent as good as the old coal tar based ones.... IMHO

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Jun 28, 2:39?pm, "Bob M." wrote:
"old dirtbeard" wrote in message

Generally speaking, how often should one do this? (newer asphalt drive
in
SoCal)

thank you, OD

Never. ?Parent's driveway has never been coated, and it was installed 27
years ago. They live near Buffalo NY.

california has little freeze thaw, but likely sun damage.

UV can be tough on everything.

to me its cheap insurance

We do reserve studies for homeowner's associations. It is typical to have
slurry coat applied every five years. But that is for a residential
property with heavy traffic. Also, the techniques used as well as the
materials have a great deal to do with how long it lasts.

A lot of them now are going to the new process called open grade paving of
shaving the top inch or so of paving, mixing it with some new goop and
relaying it all in one process. It improves the ability of the paving to
shed water, and has better UV protection. Surprisingly, it is cheaper, too.

Steve

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"old dirtbeard" wrote in message
Generally speaking, how often should one do this? (newer asphalt drive in
SoCal)

If slurry coat is a regional term for sealing, then it is purely cosmetic
and you should do it when you have no better use for money. (UV is hard on
pavement?! Amazing.)