sump pump float switch sticks on

Old June 9th 08, 02:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default sump pump float switch sticks on

I have a submersible sump pump that's only a couple of years old. To
make a long story short, some work on the piping necessitated that I
bring up the pump. With my pipes back together, I lowered the pump
down only to find out that it now won't shut off.

I've examined it, and I can't see that the float would be getting
stuck. The switch has some odd behavior, though. When raised up a
little, it starts the pump. But when raised up just a little more, it
latches, and the float is nowhere near heavy enough to bring it back
down. And that's what's happening. The sump fills up, the float switch
latches, and the pump doesn't stop.

Like I said, it's a fairly new pump. What part of this is normal
behavior, and what is the problem? Is it supposed to latch? Is the
float supposed to be able to unlatch it? Other than buy a brand new
pump again, what can I do?

Any suggestions would be immensely appreciated.

Old June 9th 08, 05:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Look at it.
Figure out why it is misbehaving.
Fix it.

Old June 9th 08, 05:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 10:00*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Fix it.- Hide quoted text -

If this is a float on the end of a power cord, the easiest thing to do
is go to a hardware store and buy a new float switch. They go bad
frequently.

white stuff stick to float switch of sump pump swing Home Repair 10 June 23rd 07 01:49 PM
Sump pump float switch: separate from pump? Marc_G Home Repair 4 January 15th 06 10:46 PM
Sump pump sticks Senin Home Repair 1 March 28th 05 04:55 AM
Problem With Float Charger For Sump-Pump Batteries? BroJack Home Repair 5 December 25th 04 01:18 AM