Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet-tank leak? ? ?

On Jun 3, 10:49*am, "Ray" wrote:
An odd problem: Our toilet-tank has developed a leak which seems to come
from noshre. From observation the slow drip seems to be coming through the
porcelain itself, although there are no cracks are holes that can be seen.

It most certainly doesn't come from a pipe, because the area all around the
bulls-eye of the leak remains completely dry.

Is this possible that the water could be seeping through a porous procelain?

If so, would smearing the area with caulking compound, inside and out, stop
the leak?

it is not leaking through the porcelin, please describe the area that
the leak is visable
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray Ray is offline

Since posting I found the source -- a hairline crack in the tank.

Is that something I can seal with caulking, or should I replace the whole
thing?

"jonnmarcy" wrote in message
On Jun 3, 10:49 am, "Ray" wrote:
An odd problem: Our toilet-tank has developed a leak which seems to come
from noshre. From observation the slow drip seems to be coming through the
porcelain itself, although there are no cracks are holes that can be seen.

It most certainly doesn't come from a pipe, because the area all around
the
bulls-eye of the leak remains completely dry.

Is this possible that the water could be seeping through a porous
procelain?

If so, would smearing the area with caulking compound, inside and out,
stop
the leak?

it is not leaking through the porcelin, please describe the area that
the leak is visable

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Ray wrote:
Since posting I found the source -- a hairline crack in the tank.

Is that something I can seal with caulking, or should I replace the whole
thing?

You may be able to stop the leak temporarily but if it is cracked it is
liable to fail catastrophically w/o warning in which case you have a big
problem--particularly if it happened to be while the house is deserted
for a full day at work, etc., ...

Replace it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 15:03:11 -0500, dpb wrote:

Ray wrote:
Since posting I found the source -- a hairline crack in the tank.

Is that something I can seal with caulking, or should I replace the whole
thing?

You may be able to stop the leak temporarily but if it is cracked it is
liable to fail catastrophically w/o warning in which case you have a big
problem--particularly if it happened to be while the house is deserted
for a full day at work, etc., ...

Replace it.

Best answer given.

"liable to fail catastrophically" just my luck is when, well you know!
I'm sitting down one the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray wrote:

Since posting I found the source -- a hairline crack in the tank.

Is that something I can seal with caulking, or should I replace the whole
thing?

You may be able to stop the leak temporarily but if it is cracked it is
liable to fail catastrophically w/o warning in which case you have a big
problem--particularly if it happened to be while the house is deserted
for a full day at work, etc., ...

Replace it.

Best answer given.

"liable to fail catastrophically" just my luck is when, well you know!
I'm sitting down one the job.

No........catastrophically is when nobody is home and the house is
flooded. BTDT.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 9:10 pm, wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 20:02:32 GMT, "Ray" wrote:
Since posting I found the source -- a hairline crack in the tank.

Is that something I can seal with caulking, or should I replace the whole
thing?

Absolutely replace it. I would recommend that you shut the water off and empty
it right now. Tonight. If the tank should break, not only will it dump a lot of
water on the floor, but the incoming fill will be running nonstop, flooding your
home. Lots of damage possible.

This is the correct answer. Our tank (forgive the pun) crapped out at
five am after a night at the bar celebrating my sister's birthday...
whole floor on that level was shot and it was an AMAZING mess. Thank
goodness there was a drain in the laundry room or who knows how much
water would have ended up in the basement (the cutoff valve was shot
too, and kept spewing water).