Float Needle valve on Craftsman Mower

Old June 2nd 08, 01:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Float Needle valve on Craftsman Mower

I need help.

I removed the float on this 9 year old craftsman 22 inch push mower
and the needle valve. Now I don't know how to reassemble it.

The needle valve has a tiny wire wrapped around the end of the needle
and the other end of that wire has a little half rectangle. If I hook
it over the wings on the float, then it seems to bind the needle so it
doesn't move freely. But I don't see any where else to hook it so I
just let it dangle. The needle can't go anywhere anywhere so maybe it
is not important that the needle be hooked to the float. If the float
drops, then the needle should fall open by gravity or else be pushed
open by the fuel in the tank pushing it open.

Anyone ever seen one of these creatures that can provide some help.

Daffy Duff

Old June 2nd 08, 03:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Duff2 wrote:
I need help.

I removed the float on this 9 year old craftsman 22 inch push mower
and the needle valve. Now I don't know how to reassemble it.

The needle valve has a tiny wire wrapped around the end of the needle
and the other end of that wire has a little half rectangle. If I hook
it over the wings on the float, then it seems to bind the needle so it
doesn't move freely. But I don't see any where else to hook it so I
just let it dangle. The needle can't go anywhere anywhere so maybe it
is not important that the needle be hooked to the float. If the float
drops, then the needle should fall open by gravity or else be pushed
open by the fuel in the tank pushing it open.

It can't just be unhooked or it will simply sit in the throat and block
flow.

One end goes around the neck of the valve, the other slips over the
float -- some have a small hole, others simply slip over one way or
another, but it has to hang from the float freely.

Keep looking at alternatives until it becomes clear how it must do that.
There possibly would be pictures on the Sears website that show carb
parts diagrams that would help...

Old June 2nd 08, 03:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 18:03:47 -0500, Duff2 wrote:

I need help.

I removed the float on this 9 year old craftsman 22 inch push mower
and the needle valve. Now I don't know how to reassemble it.

The needle valve has a tiny wire wrapped around the end of the needle
and the other end of that wire has a little half rectangle. If I hook
it over the wings on the float, then it seems to bind the needle so it
doesn't move freely.

Have you tried hooking it to the float from the left instead of the
right? They are not the same, at least on a Briggs and Stratton
engine, but I don't think they are the same on any carb, because the
end section of the wire is not exactly in line with the center of the
needle valve. So reversing the orientation moves the needle valve
closer to or further from the bulk of the float.

I went through this myself two summers ago.

"Over the wings on the float". Not sure what you mean, but in the
B&S, the end of the wire goes under a little raised tab near the float
pivot axis/place. Maybe what I call a tab you're calling wings?

I have a Craftsman lawn mower that started and ran two years ago, but
won't now, assuredly because of carb problems. If you really can't
get this, let me know and I'm move the Craftsman to the top of my list
and take apart the carb.

My friend and I have 7 lawnmowers and only 1 that works. WE need at
least one for each of us, or we have to carry the one that works back
and forth.

Motorcycle float valve mm Home Repair 4 December 4th 06 09:45 PM
Ball Valve,Needle Valve,Snubber,Gauge Cock Sale on good price valvetom Home Repair 0 November 27th 06 06:51 PM
Brass Ball Valve,Gas Valve,Needle Valve,Angle Valve Sale on good price valvetom Home Repair 0 November 27th 06 06:48 PM
Part 2 float valve mikehh UK diy 0 September 28th 06 05:32 PM
Float Valve - what type is this? phil UK diy 15 September 27th 06 09:35 PM