Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hanging kitchen cabinets?

Not unless the cabinets you are using have frames with solid wood in a
suitable location to put a vertical screw, and your bulkhead is framed
with suitable blocking to screw into. Into the wall really works a lot
better- screws are a lot stronger at right angles to the pulling force,
gravity in this case. Don't try screwing through the thin top of the
case- the screws will pull through.

If you want easy-off cabinets, hang them European style, on cleats. Undo
one or two screws in bottom edge, and just lift them off the cleat.
Metal hanging rails are available, or you can just rip a hardwood 1x4
down the center at a 45 angle, and make your own. (In Europe, it is
common to take the cabinets and light fixtures and such when you move-
they are considered part of the furniture over there.)

--
aem sends....

Pulling through is my concern too. Can you explain the cleats more?
Do you have a link or example you can suggest I look at?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I did forget to say 'french' cleat, didn't I?

Google is your friend:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%27french+cleat%27+diagram&btnG=Goo gle+Search

brings up about 53,000 links.

Short version- a rail screwed to wall, that has an upper lip that sticks
out. A rail, screwed to cabinet, that has a lower lip that sticks out.
You hook the rail on the cabinet onto the rail on the wall, and gravity
does the work. Depending on the cabinet design, you may need spacer
blocks at the bottom, and trim or a decorative end panel to hide the
3/4 " gap behind the cabinet. If kids are in the house (or you live in
earthquake country), a couple safety screws through the bottom rail of
the cabinet, into the wall or spacer blocks, is cheap insurance. A full
cabinet falling on you unexpectedly can mess up your whole day.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2008 6:30 PM Mark spake thus:

I hung my cabinets in my laundry room in a similar manner - mainly because I
was doing it myself without a second pair of hands to hold them while I
mounted them. I ripped a 1x8 on a 45 degree angle. I then screwed one
half to the wall with the bevel sloping down, and bolted the other 1/2 to
the cabinet. A 1x2 spacer at the bottom kept thing straight and was able
to lift the cabinets on the wall and then put a couple screws in thru the
1x2 to hold things on the wall.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest, although you certainly don't
need a 45° angle; 15° or so should be plenty. Easiest way to hang cabinets.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill