Direct Vent Gas Dryer

Old May 28th 08, 04:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Direct Vent Gas Dryer

I would like to install a gas dryer in my bathroom. The building inspector
tells me that this is only allowed if the appliance is direct-vented (i.e.
it gets its combustion air directly from the outside).

Does such a unit exist?

Thanks,
--
Mike Schumann

Old May 30th 08, 03:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 9:49*pm, "Mike Schumann" mike-nos...@traditions-
nospam.com wrote:
I would like to install a gas dryer in my bathroom. *The building inspector
tells me that this is only allowed if the appliance is direct-vented (i.e.
it gets its combustion air directly from the outside).

Does such a unit exist?

Thanks,
--
Mike Schumann

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

It sounds dumb, maybe the inspector doesnt know local code, ive seen a
few that dont, I saved 6000.00 last year on the code idiots, code cops
that did not know their codes. Review the code, then complain or call
the main office. But keep him and your name out till the last
conversation. No dryer needs a direct vent on intake. I dont think any
is made, a non direct intake is safer, as in a regular dryer. What an
ass the code cop is, ask him what brand to use!! . I bet he wont
because he cant
Old May 30th 08, 03:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair

nospam.com wrote:
[...]

If this waste stack goes right to the toilet, why not replace with ABS to
the toilet? You can get a special rubber coupler that connects new ABS to
old cast iron. My thoughts on cast iron is when you can replace it then get
rid of it.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Old May 30th 08, 04:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Schumann" wrote in message
I would like to install a gas dryer in my bathroom. The building inspector
tells me that this is only allowed if the appliance is direct-vented (i.e.
it gets its combustion air directly from the outside).

Does such a unit exist?

Thanks,
--
Mike Schumann

I don't know of any unit offhand, but I think I understand the reasoning
behind this. I'm thinking that you have a bath fan in the room that you
would like to put the dryer. If the bath fan is on while the dryer is
running it is possible that the fan will pull air in from the outside
through the dryer vent along with the combusted gases.

Old May 30th 08, 05:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Pat

On May 27, 10:49*pm, "Mike Schumann" mike-nos...@traditions-
nospam.com wrote:
I would like to install a gas dryer in my bathroom. *The building inspector
tells me that this is only allowed if the appliance is direct-vented (i.e.
it gets its combustion air directly from the outside).

Does such a unit exist?

Thanks,
--
Mike Schumann

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Are you sure you are not confusing intake and exhaust. There are
plent of gas dryers in bathrooms everywhere. But you need to vent
your exhaust has -- i.e. the hot air -- to the outside.
Old May 30th 08, 07:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

nospam.com wrote:
[...]

never mind, wrong reply for wrong post.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Old May 30th 08, 04:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Schumann wrote:
I would like to install a gas dryer in my bathroom. The building inspector
tells me that this is only allowed if the appliance is direct-vented (i.e.
it gets its combustion air directly from the outside).

Does such a unit exist?

Thanks,

The usual way to deal with having a device like a dryer in a confined
space is to install an outside make up air vent with an interlock.