Electrical Outlets Seem to be Blown but not the Fuse

Old May 27th 08, 07:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Outlets Seem to be Blown but not the Fuse

I am not at home but my wife called today, said when using wet/dry vac
in our basement the outlet seemed to blow as the vac stopped working.
She also said that two other outlets in the basement aren't working
now. None of them are GFI outlets. The weird thing is that no fuse
was blown (we don't yet have circuit breakers, still have a fuse
box). In fact, the outlets are on the same fuse as the ceiling lights
and they are working just fine. Is it possible to blow out a series
of electric outlets? I will be calling an electrician tomorrow but
like to be somewhat knowledgeable when dealing with repair guys so I
don't get taken !
Old May 27th 08, 08:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeffy3" wrote in message
I am not at home but my wife called today, said when using wet/dry vac
in our basement the outlet seemed to blow as the vac stopped working.
She also said that two other outlets in the basement aren't working
now. None of them are GFI outlets. The weird thing is that no fuse
was blown (we don't yet have circuit breakers, still have a fuse
box). In fact, the outlets are on the same fuse as the ceiling lights
and they are working just fine. Is it possible to blow out a series
of electric outlets? I will be calling an electrician tomorrow but
like to be somewhat knowledgeable when dealing with repair guys so I
don't get taken !

Outlets and lighting circuits are daisy chained together. Sometimes a heavy
load, like a vacuum causes a weak link, either at an outlet or in a junction
box, to come loose, killing part of the circuit. It's an easy fix, once the
"open circuit" is located. Just give the electrician the details of what
happen, and he should find and repair it in a short time

Old May 27th 08, 09:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Jeffy3 wrote:
I am not at home but my wife called today, said when using wet/dry vac
in our basement the outlet seemed to blow as the vac stopped working.
She also said that two other outlets in the basement aren't working
now. None of them are GFI outlets. The weird thing is that no fuse
was blown (we don't yet have circuit breakers, still have a fuse
box). In fact, the outlets are on the same fuse as the ceiling lights
and they are working just fine. Is it possible to blow out a series
of electric outlets? I will be calling an electrician tomorrow but
like to be somewhat knowledgeable when dealing with repair guys so I
don't get taken !

Easy fix if your hand fits a screwdriver.

Find the outlet with the stabbed-in connector that's no longer making
contact. Replace.

You should be out for less than $2.00 (not counting gas).

Old May 28th 08, 12:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Hey Bub is right on the money.

Stab in connectors usually fail when there's a high electical
load--like a shop vac. They heat up and lose their spring tension.
After a few rounds of heating up, they're worthless. Every time I've
seen this problem, it's always solved by replacing the receptacle and
using the screw terminals rather than the stab in connectors.

Have I blown a fuse, or what? [email protected] Home Repair 5 March 10th 08 08:07 PM
27PT6442/37 Blown Fuse Steve Electronics Repair 0 September 27th 07 04:23 AM
Blown fuse R. Gregg Reed Home Repair 45 December 14th 05 12:11 PM
VCR dead - fuse blown? [email protected] Electronics Repair 8 April 6th 05 09:00 PM
Blown Fuse C Electronics Repair 5 February 7th 05 01:24 AM