Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ikea light fixtures - how to mount?

Hi all,

got some Ikea "Ilmenit" wall sconce style light fixtures off Craigslist,
NIB for cheap. I thought they would look nice in the living room but
the design department disagreed. So I then was going to put them in the
upstairs of the garage as they'd look good there too. Went to install
them and I am completely puzzled as to how they mount, and I can't find
these fixtures on Ikea's web site, so I guess they've been discontinued.
Is it possible that Ikea just expects me to screw them into the
drywall with anchors? That is the only thing I can see that makes any
sense at all. Did I just waste $20?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Hi all,

got some Ikea "Ilmenit" wall sconce style light fixtures off Craigslist,
NIB for cheap. I thought they would look nice in the living room but the
design department disagreed. So I then was going to put them in the
upstairs of the garage as they'd look good there too. Went to install
them and I am completely puzzled as to how they mount, and I can't find
these fixtures on Ikea's web site, so I guess they've been discontinued.
Is it possible that Ikea just expects me to screw them into the drywall
with anchors? That is the only thing I can see that makes any sense at
all. Did I just waste $20?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Some fixtures are made for non USA mounts, and you have to be cleaver in
figuring a way to attach them. Post a picture and also what type of box
you're mounting to

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

Ask and ye shall receive.

The more I look at them the more I think I'm missing a little "hardware
pack" consisting of simply some wood screws and plastic anchors and that
these really do screw into the drywall.

http://members.cox.net/njnagel2/ligh...tfixtures.html

I just can't think of anything else that makes sense, and I don't know
why I find myself recoiling in horror at the thought of using anything
other than the electrical box to mount a light fixture... just habit I
guess, it seems *wrong* somehow.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

There is a cross bar missing. It consists of two flat metal bars, joined by
a rivet in the center. The smaller bar goes to the box, and a longer bar has
threaded holes and studs with threaded caps, that fit through the holes on
the fixture. Pull the boxes apart, sometimes the tape the fitting packages
in hard to find locations

Posted to alt.home.repair

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
news:490d5cf8880f6ce60a226717f541b9ccnp@goofysplac e.com...
Nate Nagel wrote:

Ask and ye shall receive.

The more I look at them the more I think I'm missing a little "hardware
pack" consisting of simply some wood screws and plastic anchors and that
these really do screw into the drywall.

http://members.cox.net/njnagel2/ligh...tfixtures.html

It looks like it might be missing a metal strip that mounts on the
junction
box, then the fixture gets screwed to the metal strip.

Sorta like this:
http://i28.tinypic.com/2igi1qx.jpg

--
It takes a big man to cry,
but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man. -Jack Handey

Take back Usenet -- http://improve-usenet.org

The bar it requires is like your diagram, except it has a second bar, with a
joint flexibly connecting them together at the center. This way it can be
attached to a variety of boxes, mounted in a variety of positions

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

you may be right, that makes sense.

1) is there any hope in heck of finding something like what I need at a
fairly ****ty Home Depot? (can't look today, being a holiday and all.)

2) if not, are there any code violations in just mounting it to the
sheetrock, assuming that I properly ground it?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

There is a company called American Derosa, that makes all types of fixture
parts, but their website is useless. HD will only have a standard double
cross bar. These are typically used when the box screws are vertical or
diagonal, and the fixture studs are horizontal. The problem is that your
fixture is too wide for a standard bar. You could get a single bar with 1/8"
nipple threads in the center and a piece of lightweight flatstock,and
fabricate what you need. I think it's really important to have a metal
backing between the fixture and the drywall, especially with a
quartz-halogen fixture, and the only way that flat round plate is going to
attach, is if you have some kind of bar with a nipple through the center

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 26 May 2008 08:55:12a, Nate Nagel told us...

Hi all,

got some Ikea "Ilmenit" wall sconce style light fixtures off Craigslist,
NIB for cheap. I thought they would look nice in the living room but
the design department disagreed. So I then was going to put them in the
upstairs of the garage as they'd look good there too. Went to install
them and I am completely puzzled as to how they mount, and I can't find
these fixtures on Ikea's web site, so I guess they've been discontinued.
Is it possible that Ikea just expects me to screw them into the
drywall with anchors? That is the only thing I can see that makes any
sense at all. Did I just waste $20?

nate

The crossbar that others have mentioned is most likely the proper way to
mount these fixtures. However, short of finding or making such a bar,
direct mounting isn't out of the question.

Some years ago I ordered two solic alabaster shell-shaped sconces. When
they arrived there was no visible means of affixing them to the junction
box. There was a central hole in the back about 1" in diameter for the
wiring to go through into the junction box. There were two 3/16" holes
about 8" apart on the back for mounting into the wall. These were clearly
meant to be mounted directly to the wall, as any sort of mounting bar or
plate would have caused the fixtures to stand away from the wall. I used
spring-wing toggle bolts with 1/8" screws to securely mount the fixtures
to the wall after the electric connection was made.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

canister light fixtures - where to buy? [email protected] Home Repair 4 February 13th 08 05:32 AM
Removing can light fixtures Frankie Leo Home Repair 4 September 28th 06 02:12 AM
14-3 wire OK for fan/light fixtures? [email protected] Home Repair 4 June 29th 06 01:17 PM
light fixtures zara Home Repair 0 May 5th 06 12:04 AM
help w/ recessed light fixtures [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 26th 06 12:13 PM