Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Torque setting lawn mower head bolts

I have a Murray lawn mower (No instruction manual) with a 6HP, B&S
engine, from which I removed the head, so as to put a Helicoil insert
in the stripped out plug hole.

The information on the engine cowling is:-

Model = 12H802

Type = 3172-B1

I would appreciate it if someone would either, tell me what the torque
value for the head bolts should be, or, point me to a place where I
might find that info?

TIA

Lewis.

*****
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 9:45 am, " wrote:
I have a Murray lawn mower (No instruction manual) with a 6HP, B&S
engine, from which I removed the head, so as to put a Helicoil insert
in the stripped out plug hole.

The information on the engine cowling is:-

Model = 12H802

Type = 3172-B1

I would appreciate it if someone would either, tell me what the torque
value for the head bolts should be, or, point me to a place where I
might find that info?

TIA

Lewis.

*****

Or you could just use 3 finger pull on a relatively short ratchet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 11:59 am, Eric in North TX wrote:

Or you could just use 3 finger pull on a relatively short ratchet.

Surely a torque wrench would give better results.

Personally, I'd just take a guess (30 ft/lbs?) and make sure they're
consistent. Having all the bolts torqued evenly is most important.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 7:45*am, " wrote:
I have a Murray lawn mower (No instruction manual) with a 6HP, B&S
engine, from which I removed the head, so as to put a Helicoil insert
in the stripped out plug hole.

The information on the engine cowling is:-

Model = 12H802

Type = 3172-B1

I would appreciate it if someone would either, tell me what the torque
value for the head bolts should be, or, point me to a place where I
might find that info?

TIA

Lewis.

*****

I would suggest a visit to the B&S website.

Or a call to a B&S service center.

Or knowing the bolt size & receiver material you could get close to
the correct torque.

My guess in is the 15 to 20 ft lb range but verify

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 May 2008 15:06:17 -0700 (PDT), BobK207
wrote:

On May 16, 7:45*am, " wrote:
[...]

My guess was 12 -15 ft lbs.