Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you clean your wet/dry vacuum cleaner filter?

I've been using a soft plastic brush to clear out the big stuff then
using my household vacuum to clear out the fine particles. Anyone have
a different technique?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 5:07*am, buffalobill wrote:
On May 16, 3:54 am, wrote:

I've been using a soft plastic brush to clear out the big stuff then
using my household vacuum to clear out the fine particles. Anyone have
a different technique?

buffalo ny: depending on the suction and size of filter an old
pillowcase held in place around the filter with a heavy rubber band
may make cleanup easier if dry vac. on one of mine there is a washable
cylinder of spongy material for wet vac.
different makes and models may have washable replacement filters
available.

I beat mine against a stone wall outside. It seems to do a good job
of dislodging everything. Mine is a Craftsman Wet/Dry Vac by the
way. The filters are made of paper-type material.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've been using a soft plastic brush to clear out the big stuff then
using my household vacuum to clear out the fine particles. Anyone have
a different technique?

First, buy a fresh new filter. Then pick up some "fine filter bags" to
install inside your shop vac. You will rarely, if ever, need to clean the
filter, and the bags make it much easier to dump the debris when the vac is
full.

Before I started using the filter bags, my shop vac filter would clog up
frequently with sawdust and other fine dust. I would take it outside and
beat off as much as I could, but it just clogged up again the next time I
used it (putting additional strain on the vac motor).

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 3:54 am, wrote:

I've been using a soft plastic brush to clear out the big stuff then
using my household vacuum to clear out the fine particles. Anyone have
a different technique?

buffalo ny: depending on the suction and size of filter an old
pillowcase held in place around the filter with a heavy rubber band
may make cleanup easier if dry vac. on one of mine there is a washable
cylinder of spongy material for wet vac.
different makes and models may have washable replacement filters
available.

I beat mine against a stone wall outside. *It seems to do a good job
of dislodging everything. *Mine is a Craftsman Wet/Dry Vac by the
way. *The filters are made of paper-type material.

Toss it really high in the air and let it crash to the ground about 15
ft away. Repeat numerous times.

Dust blows away and you're not standing in it like you would be if you
banged it against the wall.

On occasion I'll blast each pleat with a hose to get it really clean
and then let it dry in the sun.

I'm kinda liking the fine filter bag suggested by another poster. I
will look into that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband wrote:
I've been using a soft plastic brush to clear out the big stuff then
using my household vacuum to clear out the fine particles. Anyone have
a different technique?

First, buy a fresh new filter. Then pick up some "fine filter bags" to
install inside your shop vac. You will rarely, if ever, need to clean the
filter, and the bags make it much easier to dump the debris when the vac is
full.

Before I started using the filter bags, my shop vac filter would clog up
frequently with sawdust and other fine dust. I would take it outside and
beat off as much as I could, but it just clogged up again the next time I
used it (putting additional strain on the vac motor).

Anthony

Is this the sort of thing you refer to?

http://tinyurl.com/48pgjw

It looks like it fits over the pleated paper filter with maybe an
elastic top opening.

If so, I'm going to pick some up, thanks.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 11:35*am, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Fri, 16 May 2008 00:54:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
I've been using a soft plastic brush to clear out the big stuff then
using my household vacuum to clear out the fine particles. Anyone have
a different technique?

If it's paper, replace it.
If not, wash it, running water through it in the direction opposite to the
normal air flow.

If it's paper, replace it.

Why?
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On May 16, 11:35 am, AZ Nomad wrote:

On Fri, 16 May 2008 00:54:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I've been using a soft plastic brush to clear out the big stuff then
using my household vacuum to clear out the fine particles. Anyone have
a different technique?

If it's paper, replace it.
If not, wash it, running water through it in the direction opposite to the
normal air flow.

If it's paper, replace it.

Why?

Agree with the question. The paper filters for my Rigid shop vac cost
about $15. Too rich for my blood to just toss them away the first time
they get dirty. (Or the second, third, fourth, etc. for that matter.)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 11:32*am, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 16, 11:35 am, AZ Nomad wrote:

On Fri, 16 May 2008 00:54:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I've been using a soft plastic brush to clear out the big stuff then
using my household vacuum to clear out the fine particles. Anyone have
a different technique?

If it's paper, replace it.
If not, wash it, running water through it in the direction opposite to the
normal air flow.

If it's paper, replace it.

Why?

Agree with the question. The paper filters for my Rigid shop vac cost
about $15. Too rich for my blood to just toss them away the first time
they get dirty. (Or the second, third, fourth, etc. for that matter.)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I have a few of HEPA filters, too expensive to toss.

I hit them against the inside of our trash bin & then water wash in
the laundry sink with water from the washing machine.

Let dry for a couple days (that's why I have more than one).

This has worked (so far) for dozens of cycles & filters appear to work
as good as new.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Agree with the question. The paper filters for my Rigid shop vac cost
about $15. Too rich for my blood to just toss them away the first time
they get dirty. (Or the second, third, fourth, etc. for that matter.)

I own two. When the one in use is dirty I replace with the other one and
then use a hose with a spray nozel to clean the dirty one. It then goes on
a shelf in the shop and will be dry and ready to use by the time the fresh
one has gotten dirty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rick Brandt" writes:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Agree with the question. The paper filters for my Rigid shop vac cost
about $15. Too rich for my blood to just toss them away the first time
they get dirty. (Or the second, third, fourth, etc. for that matter.)

I own two. When the one in use is dirty I replace with the other one and
then use a hose with a spray nozel to clean the dirty one. It then goes on
a shelf in the shop and will be dry and ready to use by the time the fresh
one has gotten dirty.

If you have compressed air available, you can use a short air gun to
blow out the filter from the inside. This will remove a lot of what's
stuck in the pleats of the paper filter. Do this outdoors, placing
yourself upwind. Probably not as effective as washing, but the cleaned
filter is ready to be used again immediately.

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff,

First, buy a fresh new filter. Then pick up some "fine filter bags"
to install inside your shop vac. You will rarely, if ever, need to
clean the filter, and the bags make it much easier to dump the debris
when the vac is full.
Before I started using the filter bags, my shop vac filter would clog
up frequently with sawdust and other fine dust. I would take it
outside and beat off as much as I could, but it just clogged up again
the next time I used it (putting additional strain on the vac motor).

Is this the sort of thing you refer to?
http://tinyurl.com/48pgjw

Nope, the ones I use sit inside the tank, connecting to the inlet hose, and
wrap all the way around the inside of the tank. As far as I know, they're
just made of paper. Like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-Fine-.../dp/B00002ND4I

You can find them at any Lowes or Home Depot.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff,

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-Fine-...2-00/dp/B00002...

You can find them at any Lowes or Home Depot.

Anthony

Seems like that would limit the uses of your (well, *my*) shop vac. I
wouldn't want to use it for wet stuff or sharp stuff with that bag
installed.

Yes, I could remove it for those types of uses, especially the wet
use, but it seems like it would defeat the purpose (keeping the filter
clean) if I had to remove it before I vac'd nails or other sharp
objects along with the dust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

the ones I use sit inside the tank, connecting to the inlet
hose, and wrap all the way around the inside of the tank.
As far as I know, they're just made of paper. Like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-Fine-...2-00/dp/B00002.

Seems like that would limit the uses of your (well, *my*) shop vac. I
wouldn't want to use it for wet stuff or sharp stuff with that bag
installed.
Yes, I could remove it for those types of uses, especially the wet
use, but it seems like it would defeat the purpose (keeping the filter
clean) if I had to remove it before I vac'd nails or other sharp
objects along with the dust.

Yes, you would need to remove the filter bag if you wanted to vacuum
liquids, but the same reasoning applies to the pleated paper filter that
comes with the vac.

Personally, I have never had a need to vac liquids. Most of what I vacuum
is sawdust from woodworking, automobile carpets, drywall dust, and COLD
woodstove ashes (after shoveling the vast majority out). I don't vacuum
sharp objects very often either, but I've had nails and other items go
through and have not noticed any rips or tears in the liner bags.

Another big bonus to the liner bags is when the tank gets full. No big
cloud of dust as you dump the tank, just unhook the bag and lift it out.
Very quick and painless...

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

The 15 gallon shop vac I bought at lowes has its own bag, like a home
vac, when its full just replace it. 3.00 bucks, it hold a BUNCH, the
filter never gets dirty, not for wet apps though obviously

Posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband wrote:
Yes, you would need to remove the filter bag if you wanted to vacuum
liquids, but the same reasoning applies to the pleated paper filter
that comes with the vac.

Nope. Pleated paper works fine for wet pickup.

Personally, I have never had a need to vac liquids. Most of what I
vacuum is sawdust from woodworking, automobile carpets, drywall dust,
and COLD woodstove ashes (after shoveling the vast majority out). I
don't vacuum sharp objects very often either, but I've had nails and
other items go through and have not noticed any rips or tears in the
liner bags.

Another big bonus to the liner bags is when the tank gets full. No big
cloud of dust as you dump the tank, just unhook the bag and lift it
out. Very quick and painless...

The people making regular vacs can hardly give away models that use bags any
more. Most people want bagless. I see little chance of shop vacs moving in
the opposite direction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nope. Pleated paper works fine for wet pickup.

I'll take your word for it. As I said, I never vac liquids, but I would
think the filter would clog up even more if you tried to vac dust after it
was wet from vacuuming a liquid?

The people making regular vacs can hardly give away models that use
bags any more. Most people want bagless. I see little chance of shop
vacs moving in the opposite direction.

Shop Vacs are essentially "bagless" by design, but adding the "bag" inside
the tank really improves the filtering ability and clogs far less
frequently.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
HerHusband wrote:

Nope. Pleated paper works fine for wet pickup.

I'll take your word for it. As I said, I never vac liquids, but I would
think the filter would clog up even more if you tried to vac dust after it
was wet from vacuuming a liquid?

I think Rick needs to dust off his owner's manual. I've occasionally
forgotten to remove the filter before sucking up water, but it's
certainly designed to be removed for liquids.

The people making regular vacs can hardly give away models that use
bags any more. Most people want bagless. I see little chance of shop
vacs moving in the opposite direction.

Shop Vacs are essentially "bagless" by design, but adding the "bag" inside
the tank really improves the filtering ability and clogs far less
frequently.

Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband wrote:

Nope. Pleated paper works fine for wet pickup.

I'll take your word for it. As I said, I never vac liquids, but I would
think the filter would clog up even more if you tried to vac dust after it
was wet from vacuuming a liquid?

My Sears vac says I can leave the filter in if vacuuming up 'light
spills' -- but then it says to remove the filter and dry thoroughly
before vacuuming dust. I remove mine for liquids. [light spill? use
a towel]

I also just bang it out inside a garbage can every couple of dumps.
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 8:42*pm, "Rick Brandt" wrote:
HerHusband wrote:
[...]

Most people want bagless

Not me. My wife bought a small bagless for doing stairs etc. and we
hated it the first time we had to empty the container. Even though we
took it outside to the garbage can to empty, the cloud of dust coated
us and the container itself. It was more work to clean up afterwards
than it was to vaccum the stairs.

Maybe people get used to it after a while, like they say you do when
you live next to the railroad tracks, but whenever possible, I choose
not to have to get used to things I don't like.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
-snip-
Most people want bagless

Not me. My wife bought a small bagless for doing stairs etc. and we
hated it the first time we had to empty the container. Even though we
took it outside to the garbage can to empty, the cloud of dust coated
us and the container itself. It was more work to clean up afterwards
than it was to vaccum the stairs.

Somebody will invent a disposable bag that you dump it into with no
mess. They will do an infomercial. People will flock to buy 'vacuum
cleaner bags.'

Jim