How do you clean your wet/dry vacuum cleaner filter?

Old May 18th 08, 05:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you clean your wet/dry vacuum cleaner filter?

"Rick Brandt" writes:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Agree with the question. The paper filters for my Rigid shop vac cost
about $15. Too rich for my blood to just toss them away the first time
they get dirty. (Or the second, third, fourth, etc. for that matter.)

I own two. When the one in use is dirty I replace with the other one and
then use a hose with a spray nozel to clean the dirty one. It then goes on
a shelf in the shop and will be dry and ready to use by the time the fresh
one has gotten dirty.

If you have compressed air available, you can use a short air gun to
blow out the filter from the inside. This will remove a lot of what's
stuck in the pleats of the paper filter. Do this outdoors, placing
yourself upwind. Probably not as effective as washing, but the cleaned
filter is ready to be used again immediately.

Dave
Old May 21st 08, 03:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff,

First, buy a fresh new filter. Then pick up some "fine filter bags"
to install inside your shop vac. You will rarely, if ever, need to
clean the filter, and the bags make it much easier to dump the debris
when the vac is full.
Before I started using the filter bags, my shop vac filter would clog
up frequently with sawdust and other fine dust. I would take it
outside and beat off as much as I could, but it just clogged up again
the next time I used it (putting additional strain on the vac motor).

Is this the sort of thing you refer to?
http://tinyurl.com/48pgjw

Nope, the ones I use sit inside the tank, connecting to the inlet hose, and
wrap all the way around the inside of the tank. As far as I know, they're
just made of paper. Like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-Fine-.../dp/B00002ND4I

You can find them at any Lowes or Home Depot.

Anthony
Old May 21st 08, 03:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-Fine-...2-00/dp/B00002...

You can find them at any Lowes or Home Depot.

Anthony

Seems like that would limit the uses of your (well, *my*) shop vac. I
wouldn't want to use it for wet stuff or sharp stuff with that bag
installed.

Yes, I could remove it for those types of uses, especially the wet
use, but it seems like it would defeat the purpose (keeping the filter
clean) if I had to remove it before I vac'd nails or other sharp
objects along with the dust.
Old May 21st 08, 11:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

the ones I use sit inside the tank, connecting to the inlet
hose, and wrap all the way around the inside of the tank.
As far as I know, they're just made of paper. Like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-Fine-...2-00/dp/B00002.

Seems like that would limit the uses of your (well, *my*) shop vac. I
wouldn't want to use it for wet stuff or sharp stuff with that bag
installed.
Yes, I could remove it for those types of uses, especially the wet
use, but it seems like it would defeat the purpose (keeping the filter
clean) if I had to remove it before I vac'd nails or other sharp
objects along with the dust.

Yes, you would need to remove the filter bag if you wanted to vacuum
liquids, but the same reasoning applies to the pleated paper filter that
comes with the vac.

Personally, I have never had a need to vac liquids. Most of what I vacuum
is sawdust from woodworking, automobile carpets, drywall dust, and COLD
woodstove ashes (after shoveling the vast majority out). I don't vacuum
sharp objects very often either, but I've had nails and other items go
through and have not noticed any rips or tears in the liner bags.

Another big bonus to the liner bags is when the tank gets full. No big
cloud of dust as you dump the tank, just unhook the bag and lift it out.
Very quick and painless...

Anthony
Old May 22nd 08, 12:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair

The 15 gallon shop vac I bought at lowes has its own bag, like a home
vac, when its full just replace it. 3.00 bucks, it hold a BUNCH, the
filter never gets dirty, not for wet apps though obviously

Old May 22nd 08, 01:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband wrote:
Yes, you would need to remove the filter bag if you wanted to vacuum
liquids, but the same reasoning applies to the pleated paper filter
that comes with the vac.

Nope. Pleated paper works fine for wet pickup.

Personally, I have never had a need to vac liquids. Most of what I
vacuum is sawdust from woodworking, automobile carpets, drywall dust,
and COLD woodstove ashes (after shoveling the vast majority out). I
don't vacuum sharp objects very often either, but I've had nails and
other items go through and have not noticed any rips or tears in the
liner bags.

Another big bonus to the liner bags is when the tank gets full. No big
cloud of dust as you dump the tank, just unhook the bag and lift it
out. Very quick and painless...

The people making regular vacs can hardly give away models that use bags any
more. Most people want bagless. I see little chance of shop vacs moving in
the opposite direction.

Old May 22nd 08, 03:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Nope. Pleated paper works fine for wet pickup.

I'll take your word for it. As I said, I never vac liquids, but I would
think the filter would clog up even more if you tried to vac dust after it
was wet from vacuuming a liquid?

The people making regular vacs can hardly give away models that use
bags any more. Most people want bagless. I see little chance of shop
vacs moving in the opposite direction.

Shop Vacs are essentially "bagless" by design, but adding the "bag" inside
the tank really improves the filtering ability and clogs far less
frequently.

Anthony
Old May 22nd 08, 03:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
HerHusband wrote:

Nope. Pleated paper works fine for wet pickup.

I'll take your word for it. As I said, I never vac liquids, but I would
think the filter would clog up even more if you tried to vac dust after it
was wet from vacuuming a liquid?

I think Rick needs to dust off his owner's manual. I've occasionally
forgotten to remove the filter before sucking up water, but it's
certainly designed to be removed for liquids.

Old May 22nd 08, 04:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband wrote:

Nope. Pleated paper works fine for wet pickup.

I'll take your word for it. As I said, I never vac liquids, but I would
think the filter would clog up even more if you tried to vac dust after it
was wet from vacuuming a liquid?

My Sears vac says I can leave the filter in if vacuuming up 'light
spills' -- but then it says to remove the filter and dry thoroughly
before vacuuming dust. I remove mine for liquids. [light spill? use
a towel]

I also just bang it out inside a garbage can every couple of dumps.
Jim