Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frameless Shower Glass - to miter or not to miter

Hi,

I have two competing contractors to install shower glass. One suggest
mitering the corner where two panels of glass meet at the 90 degree
angle. The other says that it's not a good idea because it won't look
good.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

I have two competing contractors to install shower glass. One suggest
mitering the corner where two panels of glass meet at the 90 degree
angle. The other says that it's not a good idea because it won't look
good.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Aaron

I don't think it will look good. Does that guy have a sample of how it might
look?
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 1:05 am, evodawg wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
On May 16, 1:13 am, evodawg wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have two competing contractors to install shower glass. One suggest
mitering the corner where two panels of glass meet at the 90 degree
angle. The other says that it's not a good idea because it won't look
good.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Aaron

I don't think it will look good. Does that guy have a sample of how it
might look?
--

Why do you think not? (I have not seen a sample, but I don't find butt
angles particularly nice.)

I'd like to see how it looked, a sample would be nice. Doesnt seem like it
would be a big deal to have him make up a sample. Wondering how strong a
joint it would be, probably the same. Guess I'm just use to seeing a butt
joint in this application. How much more for the miter?

Better than a sample, ask to check out a completed job in person.
Small samples can lie, full jobs don't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

I have two competing contractors to install shower glass. One suggest
mitering the corner where two panels of glass meet at the 90 degree
angle. The other says that it's not a good idea because it won't look
good.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Aaron

I had no idea a corner for glass could be mitered. Seems it would chip
or break with ease if it
was bumped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

I have two competing contractors to install shower glass. One suggest
mitering the corner where two panels of glass meet at the 90 degree
angle. The other says that it's not a good idea because it won't look
good.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Aaron

I had no idea a corner for glass could be mitered. Seems it would chip
or break with ease if it
was bumped.

For terminal klutzes like me, frameless glass shower stalls (or even
doors) are out of the question, period. I realize the tempered glass
makes gravel, not knives, when you break it. But those panels cost a
fortune to replace, and take weeks to get installed. I don't want the
glass to be a structural element, I just want it to ride in its nice
shock-absorbing gasket, repelling water.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have two competing contractors to install shower glass. One suggest
mitering the corner where two panels of glass meet at the 90 degree
angle. The other says that it's not a good idea because it won't look
good.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Aaron

I don't think it will look good. Does that guy have a sample of how it
might
look?
--

Why do you think not? (I have not seen a sample, but I don't find butt
angles particularly nice.)

--

the miter will be a lot weaker. furthermore, these will have to be tempered.
chipping the edge of a tempered sheet of glass will produce a couple of

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

the miter will be a lot weaker. furthermore, these will have to be
tempered. chipping the edge of a tempered sheet of glass will produce a
couple of shopping bags of glass gravel. a miter will make this more
likely to occur.

Uhhhh...... They bevel them or mitre them and _then_ temper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Brown" wrote in message
el...
--

the miter will be a lot weaker. furthermore, these will have to be
tempered. chipping the edge of a tempered sheet of glass will produce a
couple of shopping bags of glass gravel. a miter will make this more
likely to occur.

Uhhhh...... They bevel them or mitre them and _then_ temper.

duh. where did i specify the sequence of operations?

however, the thin mitered edge will make a chip much more likely, causing
the glass to explosively deconstruct more likely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 12:29 pm, "charlie"
wrote:

however, the thin mitered edge will make a chip much more likely, causing
the glass to explosively deconstruct more likely.

If either of them chips they 'splodes. Don't bang it with anything
harder than a plastic shampoo bottle and it'll be fine.

Best hardware for frameless shower glass? Aaron Fude Home Repair 0 March 12th 08 03:32 PM
Frameless glass doors Mark UK diy 0 January 5th 06 11:54 PM
Miter Saw Blade versus Sliding Miter Saw Blade? toller Woodworking 8 February 19th 05 12:03 PM
Ridgid TS miter slot and Delta miter gauge? Sammy Woodworking 0 October 4th 03 02:47 PM