How do I neutralize acid

Old May 10th 08, 01:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I neutralize acid

I am using Muriatic acid which will go into the ground from cleaning a
garage and wonder what hardware or grocery store product I can mix
with water to neutralise run off. Would Baking Soda work?
Old May 10th 08, 02:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2008 5:53 PM ransley spake thus:

I am using Muriatic acid which will go into the ground from cleaning a
garage and wonder what hardware or grocery store product I can mix
with water to neutralise run off. Would Baking Soda work?

You mean there's actually something you *don't* know the answer to? I
mean, you answer just about every friggin' post here.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Old May 10th 08, 03:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 May 2008 17:53:15 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

I am using Muriatic acid which will go into the ground from cleaning a
garage and wonder what hardware or grocery store product I can mix
with water to neutralise run off. Would Baking Soda work?

Soda Ash and water.

I recently asked about acid washing a pool.

Old May 10th 08, 03:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am using Muriatic acid which will go into the ground from cleaning a
garage and wonder what hardware or grocery store product I can mix
with water to neutralise run off. Would Baking Soda work?

Soda Ash and water.

Yep. AKA sodium carbonate, available in 5, 10, and 50 lb sizes
at pool supply co. Call around for local price.

Old May 10th 08, 03:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Leroy" wrote in message
t...
wrote:

I am using Muriatic acid which will go into the ground from cleaning a
garage and wonder what hardware or grocery store product I can mix
with water to neutralise run off. Would Baking Soda work?

Soda Ash and water.

Yep. AKA sodium carbonate, available in 5, 10, and 50 lb sizes
at pool supply co. Call around for local price.

While baking soda will neutralize the acid that runs off into the soil, more
than likely soil itself and the concrete you cleaned with it (assumption)
can do the job just as well. Most of the chlorine comes off as gas and some
gets converted into salts. In the long term its safe but in the short term
it will kill bugs and grass

For what gets soaked into the concrete, use ammonia after it dries and you
wash it first. Do this especially if you plan to seal it particularly
acrylic surface sealer (as opposed to a penetrating sealer).

Muriatic is not the best for concrete, it will etch quite well but the fumes
are bad and it can penetrate leaving oily looking spots which defy cleaning
with just water and soap (hence my comment about sealers). I have to admit
it is far cheaper and generally more aggressive than other products so in
general a good choice.

Old May 10th 08, 04:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Use a solution of Caustic soda, this re - acts with Hydrochloric
Acid to form salt and water.
HCL + NaOH = NaCL + H2O

Old May 10th 08, 12:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am using Muriatic acid which will go into the ground from cleaning a
garage and wonder what hardware or grocery store product I can mix
with water to neutralise run off. Would Baking Soda work?

Household ammonia might be your best choice. You might see some
(harmless) white smoke.
Old May 10th 08, 03:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair

pipedown wrote:

"Leroy" wrote in message
et...

wrote:

[...]

We used muriatic to etch concrete prior to sealing. Just washed off
with plain water, as, I'm sure,
the instructions said we should. This was 2nd floor deck, with concrete
walks, plants, and structural
walls near. No effect on surrounding area. Dilute acid will probably
help the lawn )
Old May 10th 08, 04:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I am using Muriatic acid which will go into the ground from cleaning a
garage and wonder what hardware or grocery store product I can mix
with water to neutralise run off. Would Baking Soda work?

Household ammonia might be your best choice. *You might see some
(harmless) white smoke.

A little plain old garden lime (ground limestone) would probably be
the best choice, you might get a bit of dead turf where the runoff is
heavy, the lime will correct that.
Old May 10th 08, 06:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:

pipedown wrote:

"Leroy" wrote in message
t...

wrote:

[...]

Be cautious about using ammonium hydroxide to neutralize hydrochloric
acid. It will do the job, but if there is much HCl you may find all
surfaces covered with a white film...ammonium chloride. This is
harmless, it's called washing soda sometimes, but it makes a mess.

Boden

Neutralize Muriatic acid Oren[_2_] Home Repair 45 April 24th 08 06:19 AM
Acid wstiefer Metalworking 7 March 11th 08 09:48 PM
Acid Weatherlawyer UK diy 23 June 27th 06 10:31 PM
Neutralize/remove residual weedkiller Jonathan UK diy 2 July 14th 05 02:08 PM
Calcium Chloride - neutralize w_tom Home Repair 5 May 17th 04 04:09 PM