Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are concealed hinges strong enough for wood fence gates?

I have a wood fence built in December and is now badly warped. In close
examination the two posts to which the gates attached to are plumb, however,
one of them is out of alignment (shifted by about 1.5") in relation to the
other posts on that side.

Fence is 6' tall, the gate opening is 10', so there are two gates each 5'
wide. Post on the left is OK, post on the right is inward 1.5".

I would like to avoid redoing the post since it is seated in a large
concrete footing that is connected to an adjacent post (I did that to avoid
any possibility of the gate sagging and pulling the post out of plumb.

The hinges I am using now are the ones like this:

http://www.hardwaresource.com/uploads/285lg.gif

This require the gate and the front of the fence posts to be flushed with
each other. I think if I can mount the gates such that it is shofted inward
for 1.5" then I should be OK.

That would require concealed hinges like this:

http://www.hardwaresource.com/uploads/115lg.gif

to be mounted on the inside surfaces. However I am not sure I don't think
these hinges can take that kind of weight. But may be there are some made
for this purposes, or there may be gate hinges that allows an offset
adjustment?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

I have seen big gates with a wheel on the moving end which gives
support. Perhaps that would be a way.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

[...]

Maybe you can slice 1.5" off the post, on one side, and add a 1.5" slice
of wood to the other side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 May 2008 13:11:10 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

[...]

Is the "one" post out by 1.5" at the top and bottom of the 6' post?

If so, I might nail a 2X4 on the outward side. It would fatten that
"one" post and bring the post closer to alignment. Then reset the gate
hinges over a bit.

If not 1.5" at the top and bottom, scribe some lumber and nail it on
to fatten the post.

No?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 May 2008 11:15:26 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

[...]

Hard to do on a 2X4 post )

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Should work. Those type of hinges come in various sizes. Some are quite
large and heavy duty. You could use as many as you needed as well. 3 or 4
hinges should be enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Oren wrote:

On Sat, 10 May 2008 11:15:26 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

[...]

Huh? Did the OP actually say he used 2 x 4's for posts? That would be
pretty damn lame.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

It is not the outside of the gates that are sagging downward. The problem
is the two posts are plumb but one of the posts are out of alignment with
the rest of the posts for that fence.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 May 2008 11:15:26 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

[...]

Those are pressure treated 4x6 posts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Oren wrote:

On Sat, 10 May 2008 11:15:26 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

[...]

No fence posts are PT 4x4, but the ones for gate support I used 4x6.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 May 2008 14:01:37 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

Maybe you can slice 1.5" off the post, on one side, and add a 1.5" slice
of wood to the other side.

Hard to do on a 2X4 post )

Huh? Did the OP actually say he used 2 x 4's for posts? That would be
pretty damn lame.

No.

We now know the offending post is a 4x6, 1.5 out of square plumb bob /
alignment.

Gates, latches and hinges Guy King UK diy 6 September 10th 06 11:10 PM
Concealed hinges Sasha Woodworking 6 January 25th 06 03:04 AM
Concealed hinges for 3/8" inset cabinet doors? Nexus7 Woodworking 2 March 28th 05 08:07 PM
where to buy 26mm concealed hinges that open greater that 90 degrees? simon UK diy 1 January 15th 05 02:57 PM
I need to find replacement Soss concealed hinges. Robert Bonomi Woodworking 4 November 17th 04 03:05 AM