Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can't keep faucet aerator from leaking. What's the secret?

Hi all:

I've got a Price Pfister kitchen faucet and the chrome screw-on
aerator set up has always been something of a problem. Each time I'd
remove it for cleaning there would be a very slight leak past the
threads upon re-attachment. Over the course of a few days sediment
would creep into the threads and the leak would stop until the next
time I'd take it off.

Thinking the problem was some aspect of the machining of the aerator I
ordered a new one, and this one leaks even worse. Even with the
faucet threads wrapped with teflon tape the leak past the threads is
significantly worse than with the old aerator, yet the new aerator has
a brand-new washer in it.

I've tightened it as tight as I can by hand, which I'd think should be
sufficient since you're *supposed* to take the aerator off from time-
to-time. The only other thing I can think to do is to get one of
those "strap" wrenches to torque the aerator down even tighter but
before I resort to that I suppose I could get some plumber's pipe dope
and try that.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

TIA.

Tom Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd use the pipe dope. Handy stuff to have around. Often seals better
than the teflon tape, IMHO. Use the strap wrench to TAKE IT OFF then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-07-28, TomYoung wrote:
The only other thing I can think to do is to get one of
those "strap" wrenches to torque the aerator down even tighter but
before I resort to that I suppose I could get some plumber's pipe dope
and try that.

I just use a pair of channel locks with a rag to keep them from scarring
the surface of the metal.

Is it an old faucet?

If so, the threads might have deteriorated, causing
a slight gap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
TomYoung wrote:
[...]

My question also. My P-F faucet has a small o-ring that sets on top of
the insert in the aerator. Only needs to be hand tightened in place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 7:00*pm, Reed wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
TomYoung wrote:
[...]

I got a complete new aerator assembly that includes the flat washer -
not an O-ring - that sits on top of the plastic aerator itself.
There's nothing missing as the new assembly looks exactly like the old
assembly, it's just that all the parts are new.

Tom Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-07-28, TomYoung wrote:

The only other thing I can think to do is to get one of
those "strap" wrenches to torque the aerator down even tighter but
before I resort to that I suppose I could get some plumber's pipe dope
and try that.

I just use a pair of channel locks with a rag to keep them from scarring
the surface of the metal.

Is it an old faucet?

If so, the threads might have deteriorated, causing
a slight gap.

Actually, it's a brand new spout (old one developed a leak at the top
of its arch and PP replaced it under warranty) and a brand new aerator
assembly (chrome faucet end, plastic aerator insert and sealing
washer. No chance of deterioration.

Tom Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Normally, aerators don't leak from the threads. But, a dab
of Rectorseal or pipe dope may be needed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"TomYoung" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doesn't he own a bar, Paddy O'Ring?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

O-ring?

Posted to alt.home.repair

TomYoung wrote:

Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

Yes, you're picking at it. Leave it alone and it will be fine.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Don & Lucille, Arizona Bill wrote:
donchesley wrote:

internal or external threads on the spout outlet?

Hey Folks. Use the Teflon plumbers 'pipe dope', not the tape. Stays
flexible and will stop the leaking. End of Story

Posted to alt.home.repair

donchesley wrote:

internal or external threads on the spout outlet?

Hey Folks. Use the Teflon plumbers 'pipe dope', not the tape. Stays
flexible and will stop the leaking. End of Story

I've never seen a faucet aerator that didn't depend on a washer for the seal.
They are not designed for tape or dope to help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

donchesley wrote:

internal or external threads on the spout outlet?

Hey Folks. Use the Teflon plumbers 'pipe dope', not the tape. Stays
flexible and will stop the leaking. End of Story

I recommend TFE paste over telfon tape for most applications. However,
if the fitting is not tapered, then the application of either might
be a waste. Generally, if there is a sealing washer, it is not tapered.
I have yet to see a aerator with tapered threads. Shower head fittings
come to mind, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:32:16 PM UTC-5, TomYoung wrote:
[...]

Get a handy-type neighbor to come in and install it for you. Forget the teflon tape, pipe dope is better if not as neat. Also, did you get the old washer/o-ring out before you put the new one in?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:45:30 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

I don't understand why I didnt' get Tom Young's original post, why the
thread started with Arizona Bill's reply. Is this just normal missing
of posts? That had stopped completely but it seems to happen a lot
lately.

Anyhow, Tom, when you say you ordered it, it sounds like you ordered it
from Price Pfister, and maybe they expected you to order the rubber
washer separately. I don't think they should have, but one advantage of
hardware stores is that they generally include extra parts that one
needs, and I think if you bought an aerator at a hardware store or big
box home repair store, it would come with a rubber washer.

Get a handy-type neighbor to come in and install it for you. Forget the teflon tape, pipe dope is better if not as neat. Also, did you get the old washer/o-ring out before you put the new one in?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:32:16 PM UTC-5, TomYoung wrote:

I don't understand why I didnt' get Tom Young's original post, why the
thread started with Arizona Bill's reply. Is this just normal
missing of posts? That had stopped completely but it seems to
happen a lot lately.

Maybe because the origional post was 4 1/2 years ago.