Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Automatic Hot Water Reduction to Control Long Showers

I have a problem with certain family members and exceedingly long
showers. Pleading and screaming has no effect. The water bills and the
gas bills are outrageous.

I've seen some commercial products that control long showers but they
are poorly reviewed and expensive.

I was thinking of a solenoid controlled valve on the hot water line of
the shower. I'd plumb in a bypass to keep a tiny amount of hot water
going in, but cut off the bulk of the hot water with a valve like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ESZPUR6/ (rated to 80°C).

To trigger the micro-controller that controls the valve I'd use a flow
sensor such as http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HG7F9SS (rated to 100°C). A
dishwasher valve would also work.

So basically it would be a flow sensor and a solenoid controlled valve
in series with the hot water line, and a bypass with a manual valve.
Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

On 1/12/2014 10:21 AM, sms wrote:
I have a problem with certain family members and exceedingly long
showers. Pleading and screaming has no effect. The water bills and the
gas bills are outrageous.

My daughter did the same. I reduced the temperature of the hot water
tank over a few weeks time. She still stayed in the shower until the
hot water ran out but then it ran out a lot sooner.

I got used to the somewhat less than scalding hot water and still keep
the water temp at the lower setting.

Buy the way, I didn't tell my wife what I did. It is true, silence is
golden.

LdB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2014 8:21 AM, sms wrote:
I have a problem with certain family members and exceedingly long
showers. Pleading and screaming has no effect. The water bills and the
gas bills are outrageous.

I've seen some commercial products that control long showers but they
are poorly reviewed and expensive.

I was thinking of a solenoid controlled valve on the hot water line of
the shower. I'd plumb in a bypass to keep a tiny amount of hot water
going in, but cut off the bulk of the hot water with a valve like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ESZPUR6/ (rated to 80°C).

To trigger the micro-controller that controls the valve I'd use a flow
sensor such as http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HG7F9SS (rated to 100°C). A
dishwasher valve would also work.

So basically it would be a flow sensor and a solenoid controlled valve
in series with the hot water line, and a bypass with a manual valve.

This is an attempt to solve a social problem with technology.
It's a catch-22. If you can't control them with words or other
sanctions, they'll just
find a way to get back at you for your technological solution.
Probably easier to put a humidity or temperature sensor on an air-raid
siren.

Teach them how to pleasure themselves before they get into the shower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

sms wrote:
I have a problem with certain family members and exceedingly long
showers. Pleading and screaming has no effect. The water bills and the
gas bills are outrageous.

I've seen some commercial products that control long showers but they
are poorly reviewed and expensive.

I was thinking of a solenoid controlled valve on the hot water line of
the shower. I'd plumb in a bypass to keep a tiny amount of hot water
going in, but cut off the bulk of the hot water with a valve like
this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ESZPUR6/ (rated to 80°C).

To trigger the micro-controller that controls the valve I'd use a flow
sensor such as http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HG7F9SS (rated to
100°C). A dishwasher valve would also work.

So basically it would be a flow sensor and a solenoid controlled valve
in series with the hot water line, and a bypass with a manual valve.

Just give them the bill to pay.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Sunday, January 12, 2014 9:21:08 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
I have a problem with certain family members and exceedingly long

showers. Pleading and screaming has no effect. The water bills and the

gas bills are outrageous.

I've seen some commercial products that control long showers but they

are poorly reviewed and expensive.

I was thinking of a solenoid controlled valve on the hot water line of

the shower. I'd plumb in a bypass to keep a tiny amount of hot water

going in, but cut off the bulk of the hot water with a valve like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ESZPUR6/ (rated to 80�C).

To trigger the micro-controller that controls the valve I'd use a flow

sensor such as http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HG7F9SS (rated to 100�C). A

dishwasher valve would also work.

So basically it would be a flow sensor and a solenoid controlled valve

in series with the hot water line, and a bypass with a manual valve.

I had one daughter who hogged the shower and I solved this by going
down to the basement and slowly closed the hot water valve to the
bathroom. When the screaming stopped as the cold water hit, I
opened the valve a bit. She soon learned to play fair and allow others their turn in the bathroom.
===

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 1/12/2014 10:42 AM, Roy wrote:

I had one daughter who hogged the shower and I solved this by going
down to the basement and slowly closed the hot water valve to the
bathroom. When the screaming stopped as the cold water hit, I
opened the valve a bit. She soon learned to play fair and allow others their turn in the bathroom.

That's what I do now, but it's a pain to do this manually every time.

I could also forgo the flow sensor and just attach a temp sensor to the
hot water pipe by the shower and sense an increase in temperature to
start the timer on the micro-controller going.

The hassle is that I have to plumb in the valve. But it backs up to
closet so I can put in an access panel to get to the plumbing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2014 1:42 PM, Roy wrote:

I had one daughter who hogged the shower and I solved this by going
down to the basement and slowly closed the hot water valve to the
bathroom. When the screaming stopped as the cold water hit, I
opened the valve a bit. She soon learned to play fair and allow others their turn in the bathroom.
===

Hey, me too. I did the same thing for a long time. Daughter eventually
married and learned to pay bills and take shorter showers to reduce bills.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 1/12/2014 10:30 AM, mike wrote:

snip

This is an attempt to solve a social problem with technology.
It's a catch-22. If you can't control them with words or other
sanctions, they'll just
find a way to get back at you for your technological solution.

Timer controlled valves for showers are pretty common since they're used
for coin-operated showers at campgrounds, etc.
http://www.kingsupply.com/Brass-Body-Solenoid-Valve-for-Shower-Timer-p/sol12b.htm.

What's different is that I would not use a timer controlled by coins or
tokens, but one that starts when the hot water begins to flow and that
cuts the hot water supply after a certain number of minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per sms:
coin-operated showers at campgrounds, etc.

Changing showers to coin-operated plus upping everybody's allowance by
an amount equal to the expected normal shower time per week would be the
solution I'd expect to work.

Let her feed quarters into the thing to her heart's content.... but
after a certain point, they're going to be *her* quarters.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2014 3:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hey, me too. I did the same thing for a long time. Daughter eventually
married and learned to pay bills and take shorter showers to reduce bills.

Some way to get the daughter to pay the fuel bill,
and then she will have an interest.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/14 3:34 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per sms:
coin-operated showers at campgrounds, etc.

Changing showers to coin-operated plus upping everybody's allowance by
an amount equal to the expected normal shower time per week would be the
solution I'd expect to work.

Let her feed quarters into the thing to her heart's content.... but
after a certain point, they're going to be *her* quarters.

Plus she keeps any extra shower money to spend on whatever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2014 6:04 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 1/12/14 3:34 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Changing showers to coin-operated plus upping everybody's allowance by
an amount equal to the expected normal shower time per week would be the
solution I'd expect to work.

Let her feed quarters into the thing to her heart's content.... but
after a certain point, they're going to be *her* quarters.

Plus she keeps any extra shower money to spend on whatever.

I like it. Allows her to take ownership of
her own behavior. Bravo!

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/14 5:20 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/12/2014 6:04 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 1/12/14 3:34 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Changing showers to coin-operated plus upping everybody's allowance by
an amount equal to the expected normal shower time per week would be the
solution I'd expect to work.

Let her feed quarters into the thing to her heart's content.... but
after a certain point, they're going to be *her* quarters.

Plus she keeps any extra shower money to spend on whatever.

I like it. Allows her to take ownership of
her own behavior. Bravo!

Ya know, we are guilty of profiling. We, me, assumed sms was
talking about a teenage daughter. SMS never identified the culprit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per sms:
coin-operated showers at campgrounds, etc.

Changing showers to coin-operated plus upping everybody's allowance by
an amount equal to the expected normal shower time per week would be the
solution I'd expect to work.

Let her feed quarters into the thing to her heart's content.... but
after a certain point, they're going to be *her* quarters.

That reminds me of an apartment I lived in. Instead of expensive coin
operated washers and dryers, the owners installed a coin operated power
controller, which was really nothing more than a timer. The cord for the
standard washer and dryer each went into a coin box. The sign said $0.75
per load. As soon as the third quarter was inserted, the power came on and
stay on for a set number of minutes.

I learned early on that if you added a quarter during the cycle it would
extend the time. If you were ready to switch loads as soon as the first one
was done, you had just enough power to do 2 loads for $1.00. If you were a
little late, it might cost you $1.25.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Dean Hoffman ":
Ya know, we are guilty of profiling. We, me, assumed sms was
talking about a teenage daughter. SMS never identified the culprit.

I also plead guilty as charged.

But I'd still put money on it's being a daughter.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Dean Hoffman ":
Ya know, we are guilty of profiling. We, me, assumed sms was
talking about a teenage daughter. SMS never identified the culprit.

I also plead guilty as charged.

But I'd still put money on it's being a daughter.

If you are wrong will you put that money towards paying for the offender's
long showers?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2014 8:46 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Dean Hoffman ":
Ya know, we are guilty of profiling. We, me, assumed sms was
talking about a teenage daughter. SMS never identified the culprit.

I also plead guilty as charged.

But I'd still put money on it's being a daughter.

I was not able to find the old messages
on my machine. But, that's also my guess.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 1/12/2014 5:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per sms:
coin-operated showers at campgrounds, etc.

Changing showers to coin-operated plus upping everybody's allowance by
an amount equal to the expected normal shower time per week would be the
solution I'd expect to work.

Let her feed quarters into the thing to her heart's content.... but
after a certain point, they're going to be *her* quarters.

That reminds me of an apartment I lived in. Instead of expensive coin
operated washers and dryers, the owners installed a coin operated power
controller, which was really nothing more than a timer. The cord for the
standard washer and dryer each went into a coin box. The sign said $0.75
per load. As soon as the third quarter was inserted, the power came on and
stay on for a set number of minutes.

I've seen that too but it makes little sense. The reason that the
commercial machines are more expensive is not the coin slide it's that
they build them with much more rugged components in order to have them
stand up to continuous use.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 1/12/2014 5:46 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Dean Hoffman ":
Ya know, we are guilty of profiling. We, me, assumed sms was
talking about a teenage daughter. SMS never identified the culprit.

I also plead guilty as charged.

But I'd still put money on it's being a daughter.

You lose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2014 9:28 PM, sms wrote:
Ya know, we are guilty of profiling. We, me, assumed sms was
talking about a teenage daughter. SMS never identified the culprit.

Son.

My apologies, sorry.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

sms wrote:
On 1/12/2014 5:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per sms:
[...]

Each building in the complex only had 4 apartments, 2 one bedroom and 2
slightly larger 2 bedrooms, but the 2nd bedroom was pretty small. In most
cases there were never more than 8 people per building and even that was a
lot. It was mostly singles and couples, not too many kids.

The rugged commercial machines would probably be overkill but with enough
$1.50 wash & dry loads, they probably made enough to maintain the standard
machines. That' sustainable my guess, I never did the math. Of course, if
enough people used the timing trick that I did, that would throw their
numbers way off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Install a 30 gal heater and lower the temperature. If you run-out...you lose!
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 1/12/2014 8:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
sms wrote:
On 1/12/2014 5:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per sms:
[...]

I have purchased several commercial machines. One set for a townhouse I
rent. The upside is that under normal residential use they are likely to
last for 25 years or more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sms wrote:
On 1/12/2014 5:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per sms:
[...]

Whoops..emailed you by mistake. Sorry.

Anyway, I wasn't running the complex, just washing my clothes. ;-)

If you want to call them and find out why, 30 years ago, they were using
residential washers instead of commercial machines, I can send you their
current number. Let me know. ;-)