Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is it safe to reuse pool filter's sand for sand box?

I'm going to replace the sand in my swiming pool filter. I wonder if
it's safe to reuse those sand for kids' sand box? I suppose if it's
safe to swim in the water that filtered by the sand, it should be safe
to play with it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
-H

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

This sand will likely contain many chlorine and/or bromine salts as well as
decomposed organic matter. It probably is not outright toxic but it may
irritate sensitive skin and the dust generated from it may also have health
concerns. If when you redampen it you smell pool smells, it surely is not
pure.

If you must, use it for the kitty litter or save it for winter ice
treatment. It may also not be suitable for concrete mixing due to the salts
but would be fine as underlayment for patio pavers.

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article 7Z%gg.1970$qo4.495@trndny05,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

wrote in

I'm going to replace the sand in my swiming pool filter. I wonder if
it's safe to reuse those sand for kids' sand box? I suppose if it's
safe to swim in the water that filtered by the sand, it should be safe
to play with it. Any ideas?

The purpose of the sand is to remove impurities so the water is safe to
swim
in. So, do you want your kids to playing the impurities in the sand?

Especially when you add a few years of left over chemicals that were
used to help get rid of the above mentioned impurities.

Posted to alt.home.repair
larry

PipeDown wrote:

This sand will likely contain many chlorine and/or bromine salts as well as
decomposed organic matter. It probably is not outright toxic but it may
irritate sensitive skin and the dust generated from it may also have health
concerns. If when you redampen it you smell pool smells, it surely is not
pure.

If you must, use it for the kitty litter or save it for winter ice
treatment. It may also not be suitable for concrete mixing due to the salts
but would be fine as underlayment for patio pavers.

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message

In article 7Z%gg.1970$qo4.495@trndny05,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

wrote in

I'm going to replace the sand in my swiming pool filter. I wonder if
it's safe to reuse those sand for kids' sand box? I suppose if it's
safe to swim in the water that filtered by the sand, it should be safe
to play with it. Any ideas?

The purpose of the sand is to remove impurities so the water is safe to
swim
in. So, do you want your kids to playing the impurities in the sand?

Especially when you add a few years of left over chemicals that were
used to help get rid of the above mentioned impurities.

FUNNY, I was just thinking, is the pool chems etc more /or/
less hazardous that the neighborhood cat urine and feces
found in a regular sandbox? But maybe your sandbox is
indoors.

this is the same sand that pool water ran thru that your
kids played in all summer? The broken glass and metal frags
the sand caught that was in the pool might be a problem.

-larry / dallas

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to larry, poolguy wrote:
I'm changing sand in pool today. I will not use the old sand from pool to put
in my Grand Kids sand box. I will throw away the old sand and buy new play
sand for our Grand kids sand box. 100 bucks worth of sand for sandbox cost
less than Doctor bills and nothing can replace a broken heart if the old pool
sand was to harm them. I love them too much to take a chance on it.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ox-116766-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

poolguy writes:

replying to larry, poolguy wrote:
I'm changing sand in pool today. I will not use the old sand from pool to put
in my Grand Kids sand box. I will throw away the old sand and buy new play
sand for our Grand kids sand box. 100 bucks worth of sand for sandbox cost
less than Doctor bills and nothing can replace a broken heart if the old pool
sand was to harm them. I love them too much to take a chance on it.

Reply to post from 2006?

Poolguy, I beg to differ. That sand was clean enough that someone was
swimming in the pool. Pool water definitely gets ingested.
It's not a matter of cost. How do you put that sand into the trash.
The sandbox is as good a place as any to dispose of the sand.
There is zero chance of that very clean sand from the filter harming
anyone. You do know that birds fly over sandboxes don't you?

I used to change the sand in my filter every 2 years.
A task that is not that easy.
I'm still trying to figure out how that sand could wear out.
Haven't changed the sand now for 4 years, no problems yet.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 12:00:49 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

poolguy writes:

[...]

I think the problem is pool filter sand is probably not the right
grade for a sand box. I agree, the cat **** a sand box seems to
collect is a lot more of a health problem than heavily chlorinated
filter sand.

I suppose the OP's great grand kids will be using it soon tho.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

poolguy writes:

[...]

When a cat stops to void in a sandbox, sometimes that's the only time it's motionless long enough to get a good sho............ er, I mean, photo.

Just saying.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

poolguy writes:

[...]

Maybe, but hard for me to imagine what difference any grade might make
to the process of filling a bucket with a plastic shovel.

I agree, the cat **** a sand box seems to collect is a lot more of a
health problem than heavily chlorinated filter sand.

The chlorine isn't going to hang around on that sand for long.

I suppose the OP's great grand kids will be using it soon tho.

LOL.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 12:51:56 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

I think the problem is pool filter sand is probably not the right
grade for a sand box.

Maybe, but hard for me to imagine what difference any grade might make
to the process of filling a bucket with a plastic shovel.

The problem is if the sand is too fine a grade, it sticks to their
clothes and ends up being "dirt" when they track it inside.

I agree, the cat **** a sand box seems to collect is a lot more of a
health problem than heavily chlorinated filter sand.

The chlorine isn't going to hang around on that sand for long.

At least it starts clean.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 04:57:50 -0700 (PDT)

From: trader_4

Are you off suicide watch already?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote:

I think the problem is pool filter sand is probably not the right
grade for a sand box.

Maybe, but hard for me to imagine what difference any grade might make
to the process of filling a bucket with a plastic shovel.

The problem is if the sand is too fine a grade, it sticks to their
clothes and ends up being "dirt" when they track it inside.

I agree, the cat **** a sand box seems to collect is a lot more of a
health problem than heavily chlorinated filter sand.

The chlorine isn't going to hang around on that sand for long.

At least it starts clean.

Would it not have a bit of junk from the pool mixed in? Hair,dead skin,
any other flotsam from the pool.

I always assumed that was back washed away but I don't have a lot of
experience with sand filters.

Most of it is backwashed away, but there is always going to be some that's
left. Not that it matters, because any sand left outside is going to have
similar organic debris in it anyway.

I still doubt it would make good sand box sand but health issues would
not be my concern. If you ever spent any time around people in the
aggregate business you will hear sand is not just sand and there are
dozens of types.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I agree there are differences. One difference I learned was from
sandblasting. I bought a sandblaster at Harbor Freight and had to
find sand to use with it. I couldn't find any for that purpose, so
I figured a bag from HD for play or concrete, don't remember which
would work. Apparently the big difference is that sand for sandblasting
needs to be dry. I managed to use it anyway, but it produced frequent
clogs that were a real pain. How different pool filter sand is from
the qualities you want for play sand, IDK.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No doubt.
But having used sand filters for years and changed the sand many times,
it looks and feels just like the sand you would find in a sand box.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I think the problem is pool filter sand is probably not the right
grade for a sand box.

Maybe, but hard for me to imagine what difference any grade might make
to the process of filling a bucket with a plastic shovel.

The problem is if the sand is too fine a grade, it sticks to their
clothes and ends up being "dirt" when they track it inside.

I agree, the cat **** a sand box seems to collect is a lot more of a
health problem than heavily chlorinated filter sand.

The chlorine isn't going to hang around on that sand for long.

At least it starts clean.

I wonder if that sand would be any good for mixing your own concrete? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Sand Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to henrycue, Jill wrote:
Bottom line on this is that pool sand contains silica and silica cause cancer

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ox-116766-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2019 6:14 PM, Jill wrote:
replying to henrycue, Jill wrote:
Bottom line on this is that pool sand contains silica and silica cause
cancer

Â* Sand IS silica . Look it up . Oh wait , you posted thru Home Moaners
Hub , you probably don't know how . Musta gone to a public school in the
90's or after 2K . I remember a time when schools taught things besides
how to pass a test . spit

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2019 7:24 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/16/2019 6:14 PM, Jill wrote:
replying to henrycue, Jill wrote:
Bottom line on this is that pool sand contains silica and silica cause
cancer

Â* Sand IS silica . Look it up . Oh wait , you posted thru Home Moaners
Hub , you probably don't know how . Musta gone to a public school in the
90's or after 2K . I remember a time when schools taught things besides
how to pass a test . spit

Respirable silica is on California's Proposition 65 list as a
carcinogen. They should put warning signs on their beaches.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2019 6:14 PM, Jill wrote:
replying to henrycue, Jill wrote:
Bottom line on this is that pool sand contains silica and silica cause
cancer

Sand IS silica . Look it up . Oh wait , you posted thru Home Moaners
Hub , you probably don't know how . Musta gone to a public school in the
90's or after 2K . I remember a time when schools taught things besides
how to pass a test . spit

Respirable silica is on California's Proposition 65 list as a carcinogen.
They should put warning signs on their beaches.

Thats not respirable silica, stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 10:13:36 +1000, 2987pl, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

Sand IS silica . Look it up . Oh wait , you posted thru Home Moaners
Hub , you probably don't know how . Musta gone to a public school in the
90's or after 2K . I remember a time when schools taught things besides
how to pass a test . spit

Respirable silica is on California's Proposition 65 list as a carcinogen.
They should put warning signs on their beaches.

That¢s not respirable silica, stupid.

He didn't claim it was respirable, you pathological auto-contradicting
senile arsehole!

little ignorant ****."
MID: