How to change color of porcelain bathtub

Old April 25th 08, 04:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to change color of porcelain bathtub

Ray K wrote in
:

Anyone have experience or recommendations for changing the color?

From what to what?

What
products did you use? How long did the finish last before peeling,
bubbling, getting dull looking, etc.?

A pro in central N.J. wants $395 to do it and only offers a 1-year
warranty.

Thanks,

Ray

My local newspaper had a column on tub refinishing,and the best ones offer
a 5 or even 10 yr warranty and use a urethane finish coat that is non-
yellowing(white).
Tub Prep is extremely important to finish life.

You ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT use an abrasive cleaner;409 is recommended.

I'd also check the "pro's" Better Business Bureau rating first.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Old April 25th 08, 06:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
Ray K wrote in
:

Anyone have experience or recommendations for changing the color?

From what to what?

What
products did you use? How long did the finish last before peeling,
bubbling, getting dull looking, etc.?

A pro in central N.J. wants $395 to do it and only offers a 1-year
warranty.

Thanks,

Ray

My local newspaper had a column on tub refinishing,and the best ones offer
a 5 or even 10 yr warranty and use a urethane finish coat that is non-
yellowing(white).
Tub Prep is extremely important to finish life.

You ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT use an abrasive cleaner;409 is recommended.

I'd also check the "pro's" Better Business Bureau rating first.

The one company that returned my call uses a urethane acrylic finish.

Regarding your comment on abrasive cleaners, the DIY kits offered on here,

http://www.refinishingonline.com/directions.htm

requires using sandpaper - a far cry from gentle 409 - before applying
the bond coating that goes on before the finish coat.

I guess I'll rely on the manufacturer of which ever product I use.

Thanks for the reply.
Old April 25th 08, 06:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Ray K" wrote in message
Jim Yanik wrote:
Ray K wrote in
:
My local newspaper had a column on tub refinishing,and the best ones
offer a 5 or even 10 yr warranty and use a urethane finish coat that is
non-
yellowing(white).
Tub Prep is extremely important to finish life.

You ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT use an abrasive cleaner;409 is recommended.

I'd also check the "pro's" Better Business Bureau rating first.

The one company that returned my call uses a urethane acrylic finish.

Regarding your comment on abrasive cleaners, the DIY kits offered on
here,

http://www.refinishingonline.com/directions.htm

requires using sandpaper - a far cry from gentle 409 - before applying the
bond coating that goes on before the finish coat.

I guess I'll rely on the manufacturer of which ever product I use.

I think you jumped the gun on that reply. The sanding is done to the tub
before the finish is applied. It will ruff up the old surface of the tub. .
That is so it will help bond to the tub. After the finsih is applied and
has dried and you start using the tub, then you do not want to use anything
with abrasive in it. That will scratch the finished surface.

Old April 25th 08, 07:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 10:34*am, Jim Yanik wrote:
Ray K wrote :

Anyone have experience or recommendations for changing the color?

From what to what?

What
products did you use? How long did the finish last before peeling,
bubbling, getting dull looking, etc.?

A pro in central N.J. wants $395 to do it and only offers a 1-year
warranty.

Thanks,

Ray

My local newspaper had a column on tub refinishing,and the best ones offer
a 5 or even 10 yr warranty and use a urethane finish coat that is non-
yellowing(white).
Tub Prep is extremely important to finish life.

You ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT use an abrasive cleaner;409 is recommended.

I'd also check the "pro's" Better Business Bureau rating first.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

You have to sand, even scrape with razor blades, and acid wash, if it
isnt perfectly clean it will fail, a guy to 1 day to clean mine right,
its been on maybe 5 years. Cleaning is what will make it last. The
surface must be dulled.
Old April 25th 08, 11:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 11:11*am, Ray K wrote:
Anyone have experience or recommendations for changing the color? What
products did you use? How long did the finish last before peeling,
bubbling, getting dull looking, etc.?

A pro in central N.J. wants $395 to do it and only offers a 1-year warranty.

Thanks,

Ray

Sherwin Williams sells the 2 part epoxy for tubs
Old April 26th 08, 02:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:
Ray K wrote in
:

Anyone have experience or recommendations for changing the color?

From what to what?

[...]

that is to rough up the porcelain for adhesion,or to remove and smooth
rust spots and chips.
use silicon carbide paper;"wet-or-dry",not papers used for wood sanding.
some kits supply an acid etchant,but that usually smells real bad.

I guess I'll rely on the manufacturer of which ever product I use.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for the confusion,the 409 is for AFTER you have refinished the tub.
Even Soft Scrub and other "non-abrasive" cleaners will ruin your gloss.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old April 26th 08, 02:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Lee

Ray K wrote:
Anyone have experience or recommendations for changing the color? What
products did you use? How long did the finish last before peeling,
bubbling, getting dull looking, etc.?

A pro in central N.J. wants $395 to do it and only offers a 1-year
warranty.

Thanks,

Ray

Just had my tub reglazed for $380, and it is beautiful. I'm selling the
house (vacant) so haven't used it and can't speak to the process'
longevity. The tub was originally white or whitish, since it's a 50+ yr
old tub that had lots of stains etc. It is now bright white, as in
blindingly. This company guaranteed it for 3 yr? maybe 5? (Papers are at
the old house). And he did say not to use abrasives. Also said not to
let water drip on it (he actually taped little paper cups to the faucet
when he was done) and said that would destroy even an unglazed tub. And
also not to expose to products like drain cleaners, which in that house
could be difficult. Oh, and no tub mats, although foam ones are supposed
to be ok. I'm seriously considering having the ugly blue tub in my new
house glazed white, once all of the other improvements are paid off.
Old April 26th 08, 03:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Lee wrote in news:lf-
:

Ray K wrote:
Anyone have experience or recommendations for changing the color? What
products did you use? How long did the finish last before peeling,
bubbling, getting dull looking, etc.?

A pro in central N.J. wants $395 to do it and only offers a 1-year
warranty.

Thanks,

Ray

Just had my tub reglazed for $380,

NOT "reGLAZED",but refinished.

and it is beautiful. I'm selling the
house (vacant) so haven't used it and can't speak to the process'
longevity. The tub was originally white or whitish, since it's a 50+ yr
old tub that had lots of stains etc. It is now bright white, as in
blindingly.

sounds like a urethane finish. epoxies yellow over a short time.

This company guaranteed it for 3 yr? maybe 5? (Papers are at
the old house). And he did say not to use abrasives. Also said not to
let water drip on it (he actually taped little paper cups to the faucet
when he was done) and said that would destroy even an unglazed tub.

All porcelain tubs come "glazed",it's part of the porcelain process.
Water IS a powerful etchant,it can cut thru rock,steel,ceramics....

Old April 28th 08, 12:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Lee

NOT "reGLAZED",but refinished.

Thanks for the clarification. I'd just heard someone, somewhere talk
about reglazing and picked up the term. The company actually uses
refinish in their name, so it's not like they were being misleading.

I was just at my old house yesterday, getting ready for an open house,
and still find it startling to walk into the bathroom and see how
shockingly white the tub is, since it was stained for so long. Here's
hoping that helps make the difference to the people who came to the open
house today!

Changing Color of Porcelain Bath Tub Manjo Home Repair 11 November 5th 06 01:31 PM
How Change I Change the Color of Metal Roof Flashing? Mike Home Repair 7 December 19th 05 01:30 AM
color change Jim Woodworking 5 August 1st 05 12:45 AM
How to change Price Pfister bathtub faucet seats Speedy Jim Home Repair 0 January 7th 04 02:58 PM
Can you repaint a porcelain sink to change color? Andrew Sarangan Home Ownership 1 July 16th 03 06:03 PM