Black & Decker CMM1000 5HP cordless lawn mower battery service

Old April 23rd 08, 02:57 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Black & Decker CMM1000 5HP cordless lawn mower battery service

I have a Black & Decker CMM1000 5HP 24V cordless lawn mower for many years.
I heard this is also sold by Sears as model #900.370520.

Now this mower stalled a few times mowing same 50'x 30' backyard.

Can you tell me if I can add fluid to this 24V battery (lead acid ?)?

Can you tell me where to find replacement of this battery?

Thank you.
Old April 23rd 08, 03:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

This 24V 20Amp Battery I found at are quite expensive:

1. InterState Batteries, #AT00L911, $169
2. Ace Hardware, ACE# 29604001, $129

Is there any good way for me to test, which is the real problem, the battery
or the motor?

Thank you.

Old April 23rd 08, 05:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
It appears it is a lead acid battery. I found one for $119.00 Check
around.

I suggest you remove it, check the acid level and you should be able to
have an auto parts store check it out for you.

Just out of curiosity how old is your battery? I just bought one of
those mowers this year. I have not peeked at the battery yet.

Thank you, Joseph.

We got this mower is around 1998 from Home Depot. They no longer have it.
Can you tell me where you purchased your battery?
Can you post a picture?
Is this battery sealed?

Also, I am unable to unscrew to remove to sharpen the blade.
Can you tell me I should turn the nut counter-clockwise to unscrew, correct?

Old April 23rd 08, 05:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article ,
A. H. G. wrote:
I have a Black & Decker CMM1000 5HP 24V cordless lawn mower for many years.
I heard this is also sold by Sears as model #900.370520.

Now this mower stalled a few times mowing same 50'x 30' backyard.

Can you tell me if I can add fluid to this 24V battery (lead acid ?)?

If its low, add only distilled water.

Can you tell me where to find replacement of this battery?

I got a good deal on a replacement battery for my UPS from Battery Jack.
Best price of the many places I checked.

www.batteryjack.com

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Old April 23rd 08, 05:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article ,
A. H. G. wrote:

[...]

Also, I am unable to unscrew to remove to sharpen the blade.
Can you tell me I should turn the nut counter-clockwise to unscrew, correct?

It may be a left hand thread. Try both ways. Do you have an owners
manual? It should say if so.

Old April 23rd 08, 08:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

I have not yet purchased a battery for it. I just looked for one on
the web. I found:

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(ig...G &height=121

It appears that the battery is sealed, but I am not certain. The
instructions do not include much in the way of battery maintenance.

Thank you Joseph.
Received reply from ACE Hardware. They do not have this battery in stock, if
ever.

Old April 23rd 08, 08:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Rich Greenberg" wrote in message
A. H. G. wrote:

[...]

Also, I am unable to unscrew to remove to sharpen the blade.
Can you tell me I should turn the nut counter-clockwise to unscrew,
correct?

It may be a left hand thread. Try both ways. Do you have an owners
manual? It should say if so.

Rich, I got no owner's manual for this lawn mower anymore, after several
moves. Can anyone out there help which way to turn to remove the blade?

Also, any good way to identify my weak mower (with frequency stalls at high
grasses, but wait a few minutes and can restart) is problem of battery or
motor?

Thank you.

Old April 23rd 08, 10:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article ,
A. H. G. wrote:

[...]

Rich, I got no owner's manual for this lawn mower anymore, after several
moves. Can anyone out there help which way to turn to remove the blade?

Try it both ways.

Also, any good way to identify my weak mower (with frequency stalls at high
grasses, but wait a few minutes and can restart) is problem of battery or
motor?

Could be battery, could be motor overheating. Have you lubricated the
motor bearings? Look on the manufacturer's web site. You may be able
to d/l the manual or call tech support.

Can you run it with a voltmeter on the battery? See if the stalls show
the voltage dipping.

Old April 24th 08, 12:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"A. H. G." wrote in message
.. .

Rich, I got no owner's manual for this lawn mower anymore, after several
moves. Can anyone out there help which way to turn to remove the blade?

Also, any good way to identify my weak mower (with frequency stalls at
high grasses, but wait a few minutes and can restart) is problem of
battery or motor?

Thank you.

I seem to recall a motor rebuild kit that replaces brushes and a few
other parts.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old April 24th 08, 03:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

OK, I toke the lawn mower apart.

Battery: two in series, 12V 17.2AH sealed lead acid battery.
Yuasa-Exide, Reading, PA. 19612, Part Number YLM18-12.

The motor top has two copper type of brushings. The brushing holder is
spring loaded, and screw mounted.
It seems the brushing can be replaced. The width of the brushing is half
inch.
Any where I can get replacement brushings?

Finally able to unscrew the blade (18 inches long), counter-wise to unscrew.
Cut my knuckle.
Will get a replacement blade at Amazon.com.

Still do not know best to test if the motor or battery has problem?
Thank you all for your advise.

Black and Decker Battery GB UK diy 11 July 15th 07 09:43 PM
SATANIC Black and Decker electric mower burns motor out after 364 days z Home Repair 0 June 13th 06 10:15 PM
Black & Decker Cordless Battery? [email protected] UK diy 12 June 11th 06 01:16 PM
Black and Decker cordless drill- real piece of junk! [email protected] Home Ownership 4 May 12th 06 05:52 AM
Black & Decker "Grass Hog" Lawn String Trimmer aeropal Home Repair 3 March 12th 04 02:58 PM