Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stretching a carpet in double-wide

Our double-wide, used as a cabin is now three years old and the cheezy
carpet is ocean-like with waves. I looked around and soon realized taht the
carpet was laid as a whole, half-house piece so the stud walls sit directly
on the carpet. So, I don't have nailing strips at those walls. I
understand that the carpet will have to be cut at these walls and nailing
strips inserted. But twhat the heck do I do with the holes cut in it around
those darn air vents in the middle of the floor. I can just imagine that
stretching will move the cut out into the middle of the floor. So, how
about this; I make the wall cuts, stretch and attach to the new nailers.
The part of the carpet which gets stretched into the vent opening gets cut
off and trasferred to where the vacancy for the vent becomes visible and
glue it down. The prime issue I see here is that the rest of the carpet is
*not* glued down. So, am I on the right track or not? I've never done this
and could use a bit of insite.
As always, TIA,
Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

Couldn't you cut the carpet at both walls, install tack strips, and then
stretch it equally from both sides. I am sure the way you are talking
about would work also, but the glued down patch will probably be
noticeable. Larry

Re-stretching carpet gary Home Repair 1 April 19th 08 04:53 PM
GFCI centered in a double wide box, is this possible? [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 3rd 07 03:50 AM
Stretching canvas The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 8 October 31st 06 03:10 AM
Double wide home fan C & E Home Repair 0 August 9th 06 03:57 PM
Cut metal without stretching? HotRod Metalworking 7 January 28th 06 12:35 AM