Breakers compatible with Federal Pacific Stab-Lok Load Center

Old April 16th 08, 10:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Breakers compatible with Federal Pacific Stab-Lok Load Center

Hi all. I want to replace my existing Federal Pacific Stab-Lok Load
Center breaker box because the reports that I've heard about it scare
me, and I want to rewire my whole house because the old wiring scares
me. I have a replacement plan in mind, and before I bring in someone
that knows more than I do, I'd like to get as much lined up as
possible.

I plan to install a 100amp breaker into my existing FPE (200 amp
service) box to service a new breaker box (also 200 amp service), then
rewire the house to the new box, and because of other reasons we will
be moving the incoming service to the new box. Note: I say "we" but
in this case "we" means electricians and the electric company as far
as they need to be involved.

Anyway, if anyone is familiar with the FPE Stab-Lok load center, I'd
appreciate some advice about the 100amp breaker. I've found the
NA2100 (Type NA, 2 poles, 100 amp) breakers, but I'm not sure if this
is the one I need for this breaker box or not. My existing breakers
are type NC. Apparently the type NB breakers bolt in ("B" is for
"Bolt" obviously). I have found several of the 30amp or less breakers
as type NC, but anything over that seem to be type NA. I just want to
know if the NA2100 will work in my box...or if you need more
information to make that determination.

Thanks,
Charlie
Old April 16th 08, 10:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"cmyers" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not exactly understanding why you want to feed the panel from the
existing FPE panel, if you're moving the service to the new panel, unless
this is just for a temporary setup. I wouldn't replace the FPE equipment out
of fear of fire. I would replace it simply because it's garbage. I believe
the difference between the NA and NC is that the NA, possibly because of
it's 100 amp rating stabs into four places on the buss, as opposed to just
two

Old April 16th 08, 10:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

cmyers wrote:
Anyway, if anyone is familiar with the FPE Stab-Lok load center, I'd
appreciate some advice about the 100amp breaker. I've found the
NA2100 (Type NA, 2 poles, 100 amp) breakers, but I'm not sure if this
is the one I need for this breaker box or not. My existing breakers
are type NC. Apparently the type NB breakers bolt in ("B" is for
"Bolt" obviously). I have found several of the 30amp or less breakers
as type NC, but anything over that seem to be type NA. I just want to
know if the NA2100 will work in my box...or if you need more
information to make that determination.

I _believe_ all NA and NC are allowed in any FPE panel that takes one or
the other, but the real answer is on the sticker on the inside of your
panel -- it will list the allowable breakers it accepts.

I'm assuming this is intended simply as a temporary feed to the new
panel? Be sure you use adequately-sized cable to feed it -- don't try
to "get by" w/ something too small just because it's temporary and
short-time expected...

Old April 16th 08, 11:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"cmyers" wrote in message
[...]

Let me retract that, it appears that the NA breakers are full sized double
pole, and the NC are half sized double pole. My guess is that they don't
make half sized double pole breakers in the larger sizes, like 100 amp. In
any event the 2/100 NA will fit in the panel in a location where you'd
install four full size single pole breakers, two on each side of the buss

Old April 17th 08, 12:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not exactly understanding why you want to feed the panel from the
existing FPE panel, if you're moving the service to the new panel, unless
this is just for a temporary setup.

Yes, it's only temporary. Rather than replacing everything at once,
it will let me rewire the different circuits as I can, and would
ensure minimal downtime when it comes time to move the service to the
new box. The old FPE is history after that.

Thanks for the response.

-Charlie
Old April 17th 08, 12:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair

RBM,

You're correct that it's listed inside the box...I found that after
I'd sent this question to the group. It accepts NA, NC, & 2B
(whatever that is?) breakers. And yes, I've spoken with an
electrician and will be using 2 gauge 4 conductor (2 hots, 1 common, 1
ground) copper from this breaker to the new breaker box.

Thanks a bunch.
Charlie
Old April 17th 08, 12:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"cmyers" wrote in message
[...]

I think it's a waste of time and those FPE breakers are more expensive than
other brands. Many service changes to single family houses are done in a
day. Unless there is some other reason to temporarily feed a new panel I
suggest that you start talking to qualified electrical contractors about
what you are trying to accomplish. If you don't want to swing over the old
circuits to the new 200 amp panel, have the electricians run a feed from the
new panel to the old panel thereby making it a sub panel.

Old April 17th 08, 03:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair

cmyers wrote:
Hi all. I want to replace my existing Federal Pacific Stab-Lok Load
Center breaker box because the reports that I've heard about it scare
me, and I want to rewire my whole house because the old wiring scares
me. I have a replacement plan in mind, and before I bring in someone
that knows more than I do, I'd like to get as much lined up as
possible.

It might be cheaper, and certainly less trouble, to deal with your fears.

There may even be a twelve-step program available.

Old April 17th 08, 02:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

If you don't want to swing over the old
circuits to the new 200 amp panel, have the electricians run a feed from the
new panel to the old panel thereby making it a sub panel.

John,

Excellent suggestion! Actually I have spoken with a couple
electricians, but they mostly just agreed that what I had planned
would work and was a good way to approach it. I guess that my idea
was the reverse of what you suggested...make the new panel a sub-
panel, rewire, then switch the service. Moving the service and then
making the old one a sub-panel I think is indeed a better approach.
It'll be much easier to find the appropriate 100amp breaker for the
new panel, and I'd certainly trust it much more than another old Stab-
Lok double-pole breaker in the FPE breaker box.

Thanks for the new approach.
Charlie
Old April 17th 08, 03:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

There may even be a twelve-step program available.

HeyBub,

I'm afraid that I have a fear of twelve-step programs.

Charlie