Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Digging out crawl space - Power tools?

The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make this
easier?

I suppose I could find a conveyor belt for dirt removal. But what about the
digging part?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 7:58 am, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make
this easier?

I suppose I could find a conveyor belt for dirt removal. But what about
the digging part?

My uncle hired the neighborhood boys to do it during the depression. I
eventually bought the house and had a basement because of their work. I
also had a lot of neighbors who remembered all the good my uncle had done as
they or their boyfriends had done much of that work and that is how they
came up with a dollar or two during the depression for a date. My uncle had
a few dollars as he was retired navy.

The way the economy is going, we may be back to that soon.

You're going to hire neighborhood boys and put in a sub-basement...?
I think you might be sinking money in that house.

To the OP: there's not a lot you can get in to a foot high space to
help out. You don't mention how much work you need to do and how deep
you are planning on going. In similar situations where people are
digging out a basement they'll open up a foundation wall and excavate
a ramp so they can get a Bobcat in.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

I'm digging it out about 2 ft. deep and currently have an opening about 3
ft. by 3 ft. (for digging out).

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote:

The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make this
easier?

I suppose I could find a conveyor belt for dirt removal. But what about the
digging part?

The only power tool I've used on the enclosed space is a Bosch hammer
with a spade bit to break up the clay. [had a wall open one summer
and was able to scoop a lot with a backhoe- and shovel the hoe full
from under the house for some more]

I've been plugging away at mine for years- working just in the winter,
a couple winters off for back & heart problems. But the floor in
the first 10x20 space [pavers] should go in late this spring.

I will probably set up a conveyor for the second section. [lowering
old floor by 2feet] - but this part has been all bucket work. I
used to do 5 wheelbarrow loads a day- Now I do 3 every other day.

Beats paying for a gym membership.

Jim

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

on 4/2/2008 8:15 AM Bill said the following:
I'm digging it out about 2 ft. deep and currently have an opening about 3
ft. by 3 ft. (for digging out).

What work are you going to do in there? With only 3 feet of headroom
there's no standing and barely enough room for sitting.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make this
easier?

I suppose I could find a conveyor belt for dirt removal. But what about the
digging part?

A few years ago on HomeTime on PBS they did that. They did it by lying on
their stomachs and shoveling it into a tub that was pulled out with a
rope. The tub was a flat oblong with sloping ends, kind of like a sled.
I think it might have been a mortar tub.

But basically I think you are talking about a lot of work. Good luck.

Bill Gill
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 8:06�am, BillGill wrote:
Bill wrote:
The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make this
easier?

I suppose I could find a conveyor belt for dirt removal. But what about the
digging part?

A few years ago on HomeTime on PBS they did that. �They did it by lying on
their stomachs and shoveling it into a tub that was pulled out with a
rope. �The tub was a flat oblong with sloping ends, kind of like a sled.
I think it might have been a mortar tub.

But basically I think you are talking about a lot of work. �Good luck.

Bill Gill

easier to jack up the home and dig out a proper basement.... with the
proper ,imi excavators etc........

dont forget you will need new foundation supports..........

footers etc
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

what does the OP plan on doing down there? probably easier to lift the
floor........

digging out may not be the most cost effective approach
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Hire some willing young diggers..........
or do it yourself.....
Using a homeade built box.......4 inch high walls and plywood bottom with
eye hook and rope.
One works inside and one pulls box out and empties.....
cut shovel handle to 12 inches........
small pick
dust mask
coveralls.
good lighting helps
knee pads
gloves.......

"Bill" wrote in message
The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make
this easier?

I suppose I could find a conveyor belt for dirt removal. But what about
the digging part?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make
this easier?

I suppose I could find a conveyor belt for dirt removal. But what about
the digging part?

Giganews Berlin area poster,

The tools needed, by hand and power, depend on the type of ground you're
intending to dig.
--
Dave

How about a tax to support any military conflict/police action over 3 months
old?

An actual war, we can do what's been done in the past.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 6:29*am, "Bill" wrote:
The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make this
easier?

I suppose I could find a conveyor belt for dirt removal. But what about the
digging part?

If its hard pack dirt rent a demolition hammer with a spade bit to get
everything loose fast.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:

The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make this
easier?

I suppose I could find a conveyor belt for dirt removal. But what about the
digging part?

Depends on how much you want to spend on rental vs. how much back
breaking work you want to do, as well as how much rock there is in the
mix. You can rent a towable vacuum excavator from places like United
Rentals that will do the job in a day if you don't have big rocks to
deal with. These units will suck up ~500 gal worth of dirt at a time
between dumps.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

" wrote:

what does the OP plan on doing down there? probably easier to lift the
floor........

digging out may not be the most cost effective approach

It is absolutely the most *cost* effective. Removal costs are nil.
Whether it makes sense in the long run is entirely up to the digger
(and those effected.]

My basement excavation- like my summetime exterior landscaping by
shovel- is a combination of hobby/exercise/home improvement. The
digging is free. The footers and piers cast little. It is still
cheaper than drinking beer & buying a health club membership.

Jim
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 11:10 am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
" wrote:

what does the OP plan on doing down there? probably easier to lift the
floor........

digging out may not be the most cost effective approach

It is absolutely the most *cost* effective. Removal costs are nil.
Whether it makes sense in the long run is entirely up to the digger
(and those effected.]

My basement excavation- like my summetime exterior landscaping by
shovel- is a combination of hobby/exercise/home improvement. The
digging is free. The footers and piers cast little. It is still
cheaper than drinking beer & buying a health club membership.

You must drink cheap beer. The last three words I don't
recognize.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 7:29*am, "Bill" wrote:
The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make this
easier?

I suppose I could find a conveyor belt for dirt removal. But what about the
digging part?

check the depth of your footings.
you don't want to undermine them.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:

The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make this
easier?

A friend of mine turned his crawlspace into a basement using dynamite...

Nick

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make
this easier?

I suppose I could find a conveyor belt for dirt removal. But what about
the digging part?

Bill, I am working on my crawl space. Going for 42" depth so I can move
around and fix plumbing, insulation, HVAC ducts etc.
I do have a Bosch demo hammer but have not had to use it much. I dug a deep
ramp with my Kubota alongside the foundation. I opened up the foundation,
just like you had. Got some "flexible" conveyors on Craigslist. These
expand from 7 feet long to 35 feet and can snake around obstacles. Bought
eight 27 gallon plastic totes.

Starting out was difficult for the first few feet. Now I simply sit on a
stool, use a full length spade and one foot to dig horizontally into the
bank, fill the 8 totes and send them out on the conveyor. My biggest
problem, due to age, is getting the totes out from under the house and not
the digging. Of course the conveyor takes care of all that. I simply give
the string of 8 totes a push and they fly out from under and even empty
themselves. After each group of 8 totes I do have to get out from under (I
can walk bent over in 42" space) and collect the empty totes. After about
10 round trips I remove all the excess dumpings with my Kubota and lose it
on my 4± acres.

While my dirt (bottom 2 feet) is quite stiff, I stopped using the Bosch
hammer. Taking a horizontal slice against a vertical bank (the slice is
only about 2 inches deep) while sitting down, is very easy. You would be
surprised how much force you can exert with a sharp spade, push of the foot
and a little wiggling.

Write me if you need any more info.

And yes, as many of the replies stated, I have quit going to the gym.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

-snip-
eight 27 gallon plastic totes.

-snip-
My biggest
problem, due to age, is getting the totes out from under the house and not
the digging.

What? You can't throw 27 gallons of dirt around? BG I hope you
meant 27 quarts- or I'm feeling even whimpier than when I started
going for 3 gallons instead of 5. [though I'm carrying mine up a
flight of stairs- of course that's 3 gallons in each hand.g]

-snip-
After about
10 round trips I remove all the excess dumpings with my Kubota and lose it
on my 4± acres.

Those little machines are handy. I had my brother-in-law's Kubota for
a few weeks a couple years ago. Sure speeds up the process.

While my dirt (bottom 2 feet) is quite stiff, I stopped using the Bosch
hammer. Taking a horizontal slice against a vertical bank (the slice is
only about 2 inches deep) while sitting down, is very easy. You would be
surprised how much force you can exert with a sharp spade, push of the foot
and a little wiggling.

*Sharp* spade is a good point. I've got a great little short handled
landscaping spade that is serrated, even. Though it doesn't help
much in my clay. You can peel about 1/4 inch off- but any more and it
is spade bit time. [till I get to the wet spots- but that's a whole
nother headache.]

Jim
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

-snip-
[...]

The vacuum excavators I noted in my other post would make the process
much faster and easier. Just put the suction hose where you want to dig
and start jabbing that area with the air lance. After sucking out some
500 gal of dirt, take a break to dump the vacuum container and then go
at it again.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message

What work are you going to do in there? With only 3 feet of headroom
there's no standing and barely enough room for sitting.

For now I am doing some plumbing (moving bathtub and toilet, insulating hot
water lines), adding support under a heavy woodstove, and adding a beam and
support to fix a sloping floor.

For the future it would be nice to be able to get under there to run wires
or whatever.

The vacuum idea sounds great! Even a shop vac with two people working would
probably be an easier way to get the dirt out. Also dust is created when
disturbing the old top layer of dirt, so the vac could also remove any dust
clouds. Thanks for the idea.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Bill wrote:
The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make this
easier?

Find a badger and pen him up down there a while...

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message

What work are you going to do in there? With only 3 feet of headroom
there's no standing and barely enough room for sitting.

For now I am doing some plumbing (moving bathtub and toilet, insulating hot
water lines), adding support under a heavy woodstove, and adding a beam and
support to fix a sloping floor.

For the future it would be nice to be able to get under there to run wires
or whatever.

The vacuum idea sounds great! Even a shop vac with two people working would
probably be an easier way to get the dirt out. Also dust is created when
disturbing the old top layer of dirt, so the vac could also remove any dust
clouds. Thanks for the idea.

The rental vacuum excavator units I mentioned are a far cry from a shop
vac. The units listed in the United Rentals catalog are all 25HP, are
trailer mounted and weigh around 5,000#. The collection vessels are ~500
gal and tilt for dumping the contents. A weekend rental of one of these
units and your project will be done.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Apr 3, 5:39 am, "Bill" wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

What work are you going to do in there? With only 3 feet of headroom
there's no standing and barely enough room for sitting.

For now I am doing some plumbing (moving bathtub and toilet, insulating hot
water lines), adding support under a heavy woodstove, and adding a beam and
support to fix a sloping floor.

For the future it would be nice to be able to get under there to run wires
or whatever.

The vacuum idea sounds great! Even a shop vac with two people working would
probably be an easier way to get the dirt out. Also dust is created when
disturbing the old top layer of dirt, so the vac could also remove any dust
clouds. Thanks for the idea.

I've done the experiment (only to prove the futility) a reasonably
sized shop vac can only do about 1 gpm loose dirt removal. Plus you
need time (or a helper) to empty.

You'll need a vacuum excavator which is serious machine.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 7:55 pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

I remember your post form last year.

How much dirt have you removed and how long as it taken?

I think you estimated about 2 hrs per cubic yard removed.

For my engineering data base... close were our numbers?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 12:48 am, Bobk207 wrote:
On Apr 3, 5:39 am, "Bill" wrote:

The vacuum idea sounds great! Even a shop vac with two people working would
probably be an easier way to get the dirt out. Also dust is created when
disturbing the old top layer of dirt, so the vac could also remove any dust
clouds. Thanks for the idea.

I've done the experiment (only to prove the futility) a reasonably
sized shop vac can only do about 1 gpm loose dirt removal. Plus you
need time (or a helper) to empty.

You'll need a vacuum excavator which is serious machine.

But they are becoming more available at rental yards and they
certainly have a lot of advantages. Some of the machines have a
reverse flow feature where the excavated material can be deposited
elsewhere on the site or in a truck/dumpster so the machine can keep
going.
http://www.constructionequipment.com...oID=1283221977

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Vacuum Excavators [was; Digging out crawl space - Power tools?]

RicodJour wrote:
[vacuum excavators]

-snip-

But they are becoming more available at rental yards and they
certainly have a lot of advantages. Some of the machines have a
reverse flow feature where the excavated material can be deposited
elsewhere on the site or in a truck/dumpster so the machine can keep
going.
http://www.constructionequipment.com...oID=1283221977

Got a video of one in action? I've called a couple rental places &
haven't found one to look at yet. [near Schenectady, NY]

But this might be the answer to my '10' trencher' question I asked
about on a.h.r a couple weeks ago.

I don't need fast- but I need to dig a 10' long horizontal hole about
4-6" in diameter- then 'elongate' the hole vertically down 7-8 feet.
The soil is hardpan clay.

Jim
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 11:31 am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

[vacuum excavators]

-snip-

http://www.constructionequipment.com...occlamp&articl...

Got a video of one in action? I've called a couple rental places &
haven't found one to look at yet. [near Schenectady, NY]

Nope, I don't. Try YouTube or one of the manufacturers' sites.

But this might be the answer to my '10' trencher' question I asked
about on a.h.r a couple weeks ago.

I don't need fast- but I need to dig a 10' long horizontal hole about
4-6" in diameter- then 'elongate' the hole vertically down 7-8 feet.
The soil is hardpan clay.

I'm not sure I understand you. You have to dig a small diameter hole
that extends 10' horizontally then go down 8' starting at the far end
of that hole, or are you saying you have to trench 8' down the whole
10' length? The first one sounds borderline impossible, the second
one _might_ be possible with the vacuum excavator if the soil
conditions are right, but I think that you'd still end up collapsing
the trench as you went due to the vibration.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

RicodJour wrote:
[vacuum excavators]

-snip-

But they are becoming more available at rental yards and they
certainly have a lot of advantages. Some of the machines have a
reverse flow feature where the excavated material can be deposited
elsewhere on the site or in a truck/dumpster so the machine can keep
going.
http://www.constructionequipment.com...oID=1283221977

Got a video of one in action? I've called a couple rental places &
haven't found one to look at yet. [near Schenectady, NY]

But this might be the answer to my '10' trencher' question I asked
about on a.h.r a couple weeks ago.

I don't need fast- but I need to dig a 10' long horizontal hole about
4-6" in diameter- then 'elongate' the hole vertically down 7-8 feet.
The soil is hardpan clay.

Jim

Probably video around somewhere. In my 2006 copy of the United Rentals
catalog there are four units shown on page 9, two Vac-Tron, a DitchWitch
and a Verneer all with similar specs. 1-800-UR-RENTS or
unitedrentals.com should point you to the closest location you can call
for information. I've not used one of these units personally, but I know
they are very versatile and also popular for excavating around utilities
since you aren't digging with any kind of blade.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

-snip-
[...]

I've used my shop vac to clean out trenches for water pipe, and to remove
the loose soil at the bottom of an augered hole. Works quite well.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 19:56:01 -0400, "Chas Hurst"
wrote:

I've used my shop vac to clean out trenches for water pipe, and to remove
the loose soil at the bottom of an augered hole. Works quite well.

I used mine to clean out footing holes (had to be 5 ft, and my post
hole digger was not up to bringing the dirt up that high... Mostly
sandy soil however, and was a lot of work regardless. Didn't take long
to fill that sucker up!
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

-snip-
[...]

Hey Jim,
You caught me!! Of course I meant 27 quart containers. Good eye!!!!

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 2:04*pm, "S. Barker" wrote:
Crawl space work a lot of times involves laying on your back or side. *It's
not always easy.

"willshak" wrote in message

m...

What work are you going to do in there? With only 3 feet of headroom
there's no standing and barely enough room for sitting.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

Why just don't you go and talk witha contractor.

http://www.planorealestateadvisor.com
http//www.planorealty.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 6:42 pm, europeanvic wrote:

Why just don't you go and talk with a contractor.

He is. Several in fact.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jim Elbrecht, G.Dub wrote:
elbrecht wrote:

It is absolutely the most *cost* effective. Removal costs are nil.
Whether it makes sense in the long run is entirely up to the digger
(and those effected.]
My basement excavation- like my summetime exterior landscaping by
shovel- is a combination of hobby/exercise/home improvement. The
digging is free. The footers and piers cast little. It is still
cheaper than drinking beer & buying a health club membership.
Jim

I am completely with you Jim. I'd rather do some jobs with muscle and
time... I call it no-brain (needed) work... let's my mind think about
important things, feel the satisfaction of progress every day, get
exercise, and save my nickels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/user/LilGiantsConstrCo
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message
Here's how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/user/LilGiantsConstrCo

after you limber up a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBMUvAUPTGM#t=72

Posted to alt.home.repair

elbrecht wrote:

It is absolutely the most *cost* effective. Removal costs are nil.
Whether it makes sense in the long run is entirely up to the digger
(and those effected.]
My basement excavation- like my summetime exterior landscaping by
shovel- is a combination of hobby/exercise/home improvement. The
digging is free. The footers and piers cast little. It is still
cheaper than drinking beer & buying a health club membership.
Jim

I am completely with you Jim. I'd rather do some jobs with muscle and
time... I call it no-brain (needed) work... let's my mind think about
important things, feel the satisfaction of progress every day, get
exercise, and save my nickels.

In front of my house, someone needs to jackhammer out a piece of
blacktop 6 feet long by 4 inches thick, by 4 inches wide, I think that
would be good exercise but the only time I used an electric jackhammer,
I was tired in 30 seconds.

Do you think I can do this myself? In a full day's rental time?

Or can I rent a saw that does this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:11:47 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In front of my house, someone needs to jackhammer out a piece of

blacktop 6 feet long by 4 inches thick, by 4 inches wide, I think that

would be good exercise but the only time I used an electric jackhammer,

I was tired in 30 seconds.

Blacktop 4 inches thick? unlikely. What's under it? Hope it's not concrete.

Basically you need to cut a 4 inch wide trench six feet long? Saw cut it and pry it up, this is only an hour job. You can rent a saw. I've heard you can do this with your circular saw but not tried it myself.

Drying out a crawl space Charlie[_2_] Home Repair 6 July 31st 07 12:58 PM
Water in Crawl Space [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 7th 07 03:50 AM
Crawl space excavation Ivan Vegvary Home Repair 21 March 23rd 07 01:26 AM
CRAWL SPACE theo Home Repair 3 May 16th 05 01:32 PM
NEC question - crawl space furnace power mark Ransley Home Repair 3 August 11th 03 04:21 AM