Posted to alt.home.repair

Default skinny Federal Pacific breakers

I ran a new circuit in my brother-in-laws condo that has all FPE
panels. I needed a spare breaker and came across the skinny breakers
that take up 1/2 of a normal breaker slot.
Are these breakers suppose to be that loose when you put them in?
They have the 2 brass stab-pins at the end. It does not seem to
secure. can I spread the pins out? Are the regular sized "fat"
breakers any better?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I ran a new circuit in my brother-in-laws condo that has all FPE
panels. I needed a spare breaker and came across the skinny breakers
that take up 1/2 of a normal breaker slot.
Are these breakers suppose to be that loose when you put them in?
They have the 2 brass stab-pins at the end. It does not seem to
secure. can I spread the pins out? Are the regular sized "fat"
breakers any better?

It seems to be normal for them to be a little wobbly. The full size
breakers feel a little more solid, but I don't know if that means the
contact is better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I ran a new circuit in my brother-in-laws condo that has all FPE
panels. I needed a spare breaker and came across the skinny breakers
that take up 1/2 of a normal breaker slot.
Are these breakers suppose to be that loose when you put them in?
They have the 2 brass stab-pins at the end. It does not seem to
secure. can I spread the pins out? Are the regular sized "fat"
breakers any better?

They are, after all, FPE. Once the cover is on, they tend to stay seated

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 6:54�pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message

I ran a new circuit in my brother-in-laws condo that has all FPE
panels. I needed a spare breaker and came across the skinny breakers
that take up 1/2 of a normal breaker slot.
Are these breakers suppose to be that loose when you put them in?
They have the 2 brass stab-pins at the end. It does not seem to
secure. can I spread the pins out? Are the regular sized "fat"
breakers any better?

They are, after all, FPE. Once the cover is on, they tend to stay seated

be certain to install in pairs, just leave one unused

the FPE stab lock panels have a excellent reputation as a fire starter;
(

search FPE STAB LOCK to learn more than you ever want to know........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 8:05Â*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 1, 6:54�pm, "RBM" wrote:

"Mikepier" wrote in message

I ran a new circuit in my brother-in-laws condo that has all FPE
panels. I needed a spare breaker and came across the skinny breakers
that take up 1/2 of a normal breaker slot.
Are these breakers suppose to be that loose when you put them in?
They have the 2 brass stab-pins at the end. It does not seem to
secure. can I spread the pins out? Are the regular sized "fat"
breakers any better?

They are, after all, FPE. Once the cover is on, they tend to stay seated

be certain to install in pairs, just leave one unused

the FPE stab lock panels have a excellent reputation as a fire starter;
(

search FPE STAB LOCK to learn more than you ever want to know........

I'm well aware of the issues. I just had to install 1 new circuit for
a kitchen remodel. The town requires using BX.
This is a 70 unit condo all with FPE panels. If they are concerned
with me using BX, that should be the least of their concerns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 8:56Â*pm, Mikepier wrote:
On Apr 1, 8:05Â*pm, " wrote:

On Apr 1, 6:54�pm, "RBM" wrote:

"Mikepier" wrote in message

[...]

with me using BX, that should be the least of their concerns.- Hide quoted text -

well the last guy to touch the panel might be on the hook if a fire
occurs......
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Apr 1, 6:54?pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message

I ran a new circuit in my brother-in-laws condo that has all FPE
panels. I needed a spare breaker and came across the skinny breakers
that take up 1/2 of a normal breaker slot.
Are these breakers suppose to be that loose when you put them in?
They have the 2 brass stab-pins at the end. It does not seem to
secure. can I spread the pins out? Are the regular sized "fat"
breakers any better?

They are, after all, FPE. Once the cover is on, they tend to stay seated

be certain to install in pairs, just leave one unused

the FPE stab lock panels have a excellent reputation as a fire starter;
(

search FPE STAB LOCK to learn more than you ever want to know........

Haller, you need to separate FACT from HYSTERIA, instead you just promote
HYSTERIA. Do you really believe that if ALL FPE panels and breakers were
death traps, as you advocate, that they wouldn't have been recalled or at
least outlawed by municipalities. Do you really believe that they would
STILL be selling U.L. listed breakers, if they had a propensity to burst
into flames. Use a little common sense

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 3, 6:11�am, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

On Apr 1, 6:54?pm, "RBM" wrote:

"Mikepier" wrote in message

[...]

ahh my point was the panel he worked on is likey filled with possible
fire makers. since he worked on it, if a fire occurs they will assume
it was him.

take a look back he didnt tell that he knew they were trouble till i
mentioned it......

the point about new FPE breakers being ok is a good one. a person with
a FPE panel might choose to just replace all the existing breakers,
but they cost a fortune a new panel might be cheaper.

google FPE and fire.

around here you CANT sell a home with a FPE panel untill its been
replaced. obviously your not aware of how hazardous they really
are....

Posted to alt.home.repair

search FPE STAB LOCK to learn more than you ever want to know........

Haller, you need to separate FACT from HYSTERIA, instead you just promote
HYSTERIA. Do you really believe that if ALL FPE panels and breakers were
death traps, as you advocate, that they wouldn't have been recalled or at
least outlawed by municipalities. Do you really believe that they would
STILL be selling U.L. listed breakers, if they had a propensity to burst
into flames. Use a little common sense

the breakers dont burst into flames, they just often fail to trip
under a short, and once a FPE stab lock breaker trips once its much
less likely to EVER trip again.............

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 3, 9:20*am, dpb wrote:
wrote:
search FPE STAB LOCK to learn more than you ever want to know........

Haller, you need to separate FACT from HYSTERIA, instead you just promote
HYSTERIA. Do you really believe that if ALL FPE panels and breakers were
death traps, as you advocate, that they wouldn't have been recalled or at
least outlawed by municipalities. Do you really believe that they would
STILL be selling U.L. listed breakers, if they had a propensity to burst
into flames. Use a little common sense

the breakers dont burst into flames, they just often fail to trip
under a short, and once a FPE stab lock breaker trips once its much
less likely to EVER trip again.............

Again, that applied to a _SPECIFIC_ group of FPE Stablok breakers, not
all FPE breakers (and not even all of the Stablok form factor).

--

I am well aware of the FPE issues. In fact I had one in my own house
when I bought it before I changed it 6 months later.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mikepier wrote:
I am well aware of the FPE issues. In fact I had one ...

It's nothing to do w/ you (or even the original post any longer,
Mike--haller always has to throw in his fud crap which has a bare
modicum of a fact but is always blown totally out of proportion to
reality...

I on occasion can bite the keyboard just so long before feel need to add
at least a little reason to temper him.

Almost all is FPE here, too...I have checked which series were used and
they're not on the list of those w/ falsified UL test data that did have
a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

bud-- wrote:

There is a list? Can you also determine if a breaker was made in the
period FPE was falsifying information? Both would be useful.

At one time I did find reference to the affected parts, yes. It's been
long enough ago I don't recall where that was. I believe I have a list
of particulars squirreled away somewhere--if I can put my hands on it,
I'll try to post what I have. My recollection is there is a part no or
other identifying mark as well as the series numbers that are
identifiers but that is as stated--recollection.

Don't know about the panel issue--never seen any problem on any I have
nor have I ever had any significant issue w/ the fit of any in the
panels when the cover is in place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
bud-- wrote:

There is a list? Can you also determine if a breaker was made in the
period FPE was falsifying information? Both would be useful.

At one time I did find reference to the affected parts, yes. It's been
long enough ago I don't recall where that was. I believe I have a list
of particulars squirreled away somewhere--if I can put my hands on it,
I'll try to post what I have. My recollection is there is a part no or
other identifying mark as well as the series numbers that are
identifiers but that is as stated--recollection.

Don't know about the panel issue--never seen any problem on any I have
nor have I ever had any significant issue w/ the fit of any in the
panels when the cover is in place.

--

Gory details he
http://www.arson-codes.com/

There is also a gallery of photos of other (un-related) incidents.
Click on Photo Library

Also see:
http://www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
I am well aware of the FPE issues. In fact I had one ...

It's nothing to do w/ you (or even the original post any longer,
Mike--haller always has to throw in his fud crap which has a bare
modicum of a fact but is always blown totally out of proportion to
reality...

I on occasion can bite the keyboard just so long before feel need to add
at least a little reason to temper him.

Almost all is FPE here, too...I have checked which series were used and
they're not on the list of those w/ falsified UL test data that did have
a problem.

Without commenting on hallerb...

There is a list? Can you also determine if a breaker was made in the
period FPE was falsifying information? Both would be useful.

I believe the buss in some of the panels is screwed together and can
sometimes fail.

FPE breakers can be pretty loose.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 3, 5:38�pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
dpb wrote:
bud-- wrote:

[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

oh no there just my over reaction FPE is perfectly safe
Posted to alt.home.repair

exfpeguy had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...rs-297383-.htm
:
Actually its fine the way it is. The breaker is manufactured perfectly.
the breakers "stabs" will expand when a current is flowing throw the
breaker. The breaker may seem loose, but the stabs will hold in place.
Don't pry them apart to make them fit.
Happy trails

-------------------------------------
Mikepier wrote:

I ran a new circuit in my brother-in-laws condo that has all FPE
panels. I needed a spare breaker and came across the skinny breakers
that take up 1/2 of a normal breaker slot.
Are these breakers suppose to be that loose when you put them in?
They have the 2 brass stab-pins at the end. It does not seem to
secure. can I spread the pins out? Are the regular sized
"fat"
breakers any better?

Posted to alt.home.repair

exfpeguy wrote:
exfpeguy had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...rs-297383-.htm
:

Another response to an antique thread - this one a mere 12 months old.
The post adds nothing that was not in the original thread.

The original did not come from "thestuccocompany". It came from
"newsgroups". "thestuccocompany" is a parasite.

Seems like very old, irrelevant, and often stupid, responses come from
"thestuccocompany".

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
bud-- wrote:

exfpeguy wrote:
exfpeguy had written this in response to
http://www.theblowmecompany.com/main...ific-breakers-
297383-.htm
:

Another response to an antique thread - this one a mere 12 months old.
The post adds nothing that was not in the original thread.

The original did not come from "theblowmecompany". It came from
"newsgroups". "theblowmeocompany" is a parasite.

Seems like very old, irrelevant, and often stupid, responses come from
"theblowmecompany".

Yes. And you just reposted their name FIVE times, which is exactly why
they spam this group.

Delivered via http://www.theblowmecompany.com/