Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall - paint prep

I've just finished jointing and sanding some new drywall, and today and
tomorrow I plan to paint.

I know that I need to put down a solid coat of a good primer-sealer,
because of the different absorption qualities between joint compound and
wall board. But I'm wondering what prep I should do prior to putting
down the primer?

That is, the surface was very dusty, because of the sanding. Other than
that it is clean and dry.

I went over the surface with my shop vac, and pulled up most of the dust.

Will that be sufficient? I've thought about a light mopping, but I'm
afraid the water might raise the surface. Most of my experience has been
re-painting old walls, and there I'd always cleaned the surface with TSP.
I'd not think that would be necessary, on new wallboard.

Is there any further prep needed?

--
In truth, one who believes it wrong to arm himself against criminal
violence shows contempt of God's gift of life (or, in modern parlance,
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 29, 9:44*am, Jeff Dege wrote:
[...]

Buy regular wallboard primer made by the wallboard companies. It's
cheap, effective, and can be applied with little surface preparation.
Most pros will use two topcoats to get a quality finish. Sounds like
you already have most of the hard work behind you.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is there any further prep needed?

Don't tsp or do anything more to the surface, you're ready for the
primer/sealer. The little dust remain on the surface shouldn't make any
difference, its not a Class 1 cleanroom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

Is there any further prep needed?

Don't tsp or do anything more to the surface, you're ready for the
primer/sealer. The little dust remain on the surface shouldn't make any
difference, its not a Class 1 cleanroom.

Agreed. Get a wallboard primer at a good paint store. There are
special latex primers for
new wallboard.

Wall Prep for Paint? Fred Mayfield Home Repair 7 October 3rd 07 05:55 PM
How to prep a basement floor for paint Valerie Moffatt Home Repair 1 April 26th 06 01:59 AM
How long should drywall prep take? Doc Home Repair 32 October 13th 05 06:15 PM
Paint Prep Steve Home Repair 1 July 26th 05 05:12 PM
What to use for drywall repair/painting prep [email protected] Home Repair 6 May 23rd 05 01:18 PM