Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fitting a 71' french door into a 74" sliding door opening

So I currently have a 74" Pella sliding glass door in my kitchen. After 35+
years it is literally falling apart. I came across a good deal on a "Hurd 6'
all wood doors, "FPD 3/4" Insl", antique trim and handle" but it is for a
71" rough opening. I'm wondering if I could add a stud at either end (all on
one end?) to make the opening smaller? I figure as long as I attached this
??"cripple stud"?? to the jack studs with like 3" screws it should work
fine. What do you guys think?

--Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Greg Kroll wrote:
So I currently have a 74" Pella sliding glass door in my kitchen. After 35+
years it is literally falling apart. I came across a good deal on a "Hurd 6'
all wood doors, "FPD 3/4" Insl", antique trim and handle" but it is for a
71" rough opening. I'm wondering if I could add a stud at either end (all on
one end?) to make the opening smaller? I figure as long as I attached this
??"cripple stud"?? to the jack studs with like 3" screws it should work
fine. What do you guys think?

--Greg

That is done all the time. You are just adding more support for
your header, which is always a good thing. I would add an equal
amount on both sides, then you may need some wider door casing
and exterior trim to cover the extra width. Be prepared when you
add the blocking by running a bead of caulk between the existing
trimmers and the new blocking to help seal out air infiltration,
then foam the space between door and framing.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Greg Kroll wrote:
So I currently have a 74" Pella sliding glass door in my kitchen.
After 35+ years it is literally falling apart. I came across a good
deal on a "Hurd 6' all wood doors, "FPD 3/4" Insl", antique trim and
handle" but it is for a 71" rough opening. I'm wondering if I could
add a stud at either end (all on one end?) to make the opening
smaller? I figure as long as I attached this ??"cripple stud"?? to
the jack studs with like 3" screws it should work fine. What do you
guys think?
--Greg

Sure, NP. You don't even have to add the 2x4s if you are redoing the
trim...just hide the gap.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:54:41 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Greg Kroll wrote:
So I currently have a 74" Pella sliding glass door in my kitchen.
After 35+ years it is literally falling apart. I came across a good
deal on a "Hurd 6' all wood doors, "FPD 3/4" Insl", antique trim and
handle" but it is for a 71" rough opening. I'm wondering if I could
add a stud at either end (all on one end?) to make the opening
smaller? I figure as long as I attached this ??"cripple stud"?? to
the jack studs with like 3" screws it should work fine. What do you
guys think?
--Greg

Sure, NP. You don't even have to add the 2x4s if you are redoing the
trim...just hide the gap.

I would not leave a large gap of either side of the door. Just enough
to get the door in and secure it. Even a 1X4 will close/narrow the
RO. You want to prevent failure. Thick shims on each side will fail.
Less is more.

door opening car crash Home Repair 1 December 4th 07 09:04 PM
Rough Opening For Sliding Patio Door hfother307 Home Repair 5 November 22nd 06 03:53 AM
French Door - Heel and Toe TheScullster UK diy 4 October 6th 06 12:21 PM
French door lock and key [email protected] Home Repair 10 August 13th 05 07:38 PM
Dropping French Door Geoff Lane UK diy 3 July 18th 05 07:07 PM