Posted to alt.home.repair

Default front load washer for 2nd floor?

Hi...

Our washing machine rusted out last week, so we're looking for a new
one. We've been looking at front loaders but have been cautioned that
unless you put some models on a concrete floor in the basement they
vibrate a lot.

A few lines advertise some extra stabilization.

Just wondering what front loaders people out here liked.

Thanks
Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 6:13�am, Mark Modrall wrote:
Hi...

� �Our washing machine rusted out last week, so we're looking for a new
one. �We've been looking at front loaders but have been cautioned that
unless you put some models on a concrete floor in the basement they
vibrate a lot.

� �A few lines advertise some extra stabilization.

� �Just wondering what front loaders people out here liked..

Thanks
Mark

be more concerned that any washing machine on a upper floor can
malfunction and cause a flood. the front loaders spin faster and can
cause vibration, but water cascading thru your home can be much mucjh
worse and making a claim on homeowners insurance can permanetely up
your rates.........

add a waher pan with drain and a main solenoid valve so water is only
on when washer is running, braided lines are a good idea too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 8:45 am, " wrote:
[...]

we went through this.. brand new house, stick built, seems strong in
every way..
washer shook the house badly once it went into spin cycle. Pictures on
the walls
on the first floor, and light fixtures, were shaking badly.. Sears has
a liberal return
policy and after 2 service calls we sent it back and bought a top
loader.
Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

Remember that an expensive front loader will not last any longer than the
less expensive top loader. You will not see much if any savings on your
water bill unless water is VERY expensive in your area. You will receive
little or no value from a front loader over a top loader unless it makes
your wife so excited you get laid----and maybe that is enough value???
Frigidaire front loaders are crap.

cm

"Mark Modrall" wrote in message
Hi...

Our washing machine rusted out last week, so we're looking for a new
one. We've been looking at front loaders but have been cautioned that
unless you put some models on a concrete floor in the basement they
vibrate a lot.

A few lines advertise some extra stabilization.

Just wondering what front loaders people out here liked.

Thanks
Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

We have a lg washer. With the spin speed on high it would shake the whole
house !
I recently remodeled the laundry room using travertine tile and 1/2" cement
board as a base.
Thankfully vibrations are no longer a problem .
Dave

"Mark Modrall" wrote in message
Hi...

Our washing machine rusted out last week, so we're looking for a new
one. We've been looking at front loaders but have been cautioned that
unless you put some models on a concrete floor in the basement they
vibrate a lot.

A few lines advertise some extra stabilization.

Just wondering what front loaders people out here liked.

Thanks
Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Modrall wrote:
Hi...

Our washing machine rusted out last week, so we're looking for a new
one. We've been looking at front loaders but have been cautioned that
unless you put some models on a concrete floor in the basement they
vibrate a lot.

A few lines advertise some extra stabilization.

Just wondering what front loaders people out here liked.

Thanks
Mark

Just redid a laundry room (moved it upstairs) for a client and
installed LG Frontload washer and dryer. I built a riser for the
w/d because the homeowner did not want to pay for the LG riser
(too much money) and built the riser with an eye toward vibration
limitation.

Framed a 2x8 frame set on 1/4" rubber strips (cut these from a
rubber cargo mat made for suv trunks). Then loaded the spaces in
the riser with cellulose insulation for deadening purposes.
Topped off with a 3/4" plywood, then covered with the 1/4" mat,
then a pan for the washer (no pan under dryer).

Installed the washer and dryer, paid close attention to balancing
and leveling and started them up. In the room directly under the
machines you can hear them, but no vibrations. Anywhere else
you can neither hear them or feel them.

YMMV

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 10:24 am, Robert Allison wrote:
Mark Modrall wrote:
[...]

Matt:

When we bought our house, we moved the laundry room to the second
floor, just above the family room, and next to the bedrooms, where
most of the laundry is generated. We are using a front-loader (Maytag
Neptune) and we have had NO problem with vibrations whatever. I did,
as Robert did above, build a platform for the pair, insulated it with
sound-deadening glass wool, and made sure to include a pan under the
washer, connected to a drain. I also made sure I had reinforced inlet
water hoses (SS sleeved).

I am (and I was) very much worried about the possibility of a leak
than I ever was about vibrations and noise. The machines are designed
to have a counterbalanced drum. I don't see how they can be much worse
than a top-loader.

Don't get me started on the reliability of the Neptune pair, though.

Pierre
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Allison wrote:
--snip-

Installed the washer and dryer, paid close attention to balancing
and leveling and started them up. In the room directly under the
machines you can hear them, but no vibrations. Anywhere else
you can neither hear them or feel them.

YMMV

Mine was the same. I just did essentially the same thing in my
house. The front loader vibrates less than the top loader did.

Quiet--- I guess! I need to look inside the washer to see the
clothes move to tell if it is on. I can hear the clothes toss in the
dryer if I'm in the laundry room.

The set is Frigidaire, BTW.

My only complaint is that the washer doesn't hold as much as the large
capacity top loader we had. But when the Mrs. is happy. . . the
whole household is happy.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, " wrote:

be more concerned that any washing machine on a upper floor can
malfunction and cause a flood. the front loaders spin faster and can
cause vibration, but water cascading thru your home can be much mucjh
worse and making a claim on homeowners insurance can permanetely up
your rates.........

add a waher pan with drain and a main solenoid valve so water is only
on when washer is running, braided lines are a good idea too.

My next door neighbors started an old washer, on their third floor, and
then left the house for 11 hours. The drum was rusted out and it tried to
fill for 11 hours. Now who starts a washer before going out for 11 hours!?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 8:17*pm, Don Wiss wrote:
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, " wrote:
be more concerned that any washing machine on a upper floor can
malfunction and cause a flood. the front loaders spin faster and can
cause vibration, but water cascading thru your home can be much mucjh
worse and making a claim on homeowners insurance can permanetely up
your rates.........

add a waher pan with drain and a main solenoid valve so water is only
on when washer is running, braided lines are a good idea too.

My next door neighbors started an old washer, on their third floor, and
then left the house for 11 hours. The drum was rusted out and it tried to
fill for 11 hours. Now who starts a washer before going out for 11 hours!?

I used to start my top-loader before I went to work and the clothes
might
stay in it for 9 hours if I didn't come home for lunch.

My front-loader grows mildew if I leave anything in it, so I only use
it when
I can empty it pretty much as soon as it finishes, or else I have to
wash
the same load twice.

I do my laundry in the basement, but I wouldn't like to have water
running
in it for 11 hours. We've got a washer hose that allegedly detects
leaks
and will stop the flow. It's never been put to the test.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CM" wrote:

Frigidaire front loaders are crap.