Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recommend Laminate in the Bathroom?

I went to a flooring place locally and they said they don't recommend
it. A few years ago I installed laminate in the hall and kitchen.
From that batch, I used a sample and put it in a bucket of water over
night and it did not seam to be affected. Are they some manufacture
that claim to be good for bathroom floors? if so which manufacture or
brand that you know of? thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"lbbss" wrote in message
I went to a flooring place locally and they said they don't recommend
it. A few years ago I installed laminate in the hall and kitchen.
From that batch, I used a sample and put it in a bucket of water over
night and it did not seam to be affected. Are they some manufacture
that claim to be good for bathroom floors? if so which manufacture or
brand that you know of? thanks.

It is not the material itself, but the fact that water can leak down between
the seams and rot out the underlayment or sub floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"lbbss" wrote in message
I went to a flooring place locally and they said they don't recommend
it. A few years ago I installed laminate in the hall and kitchen.
From that batch, I used a sample and put it in a bucket of water over
night and it did not seam to be affected. Are they some manufacture
that claim to be good for bathroom floors? if so which manufacture or
brand that you know of? thanks.

It is not the material itself, but the fact that water can leak down
between the seams and rot out the underlayment or sub floor.

Isn't the same true of ceramic tile? Grout absorbs water. I have a 18 inch
diameter hole in my 10 year old house subfloor that was covered with ceramic
tile and plenty of mud that proves my point. I am going with laminate as
the replacement floor in the bathroom. At least repair of the subfloor will
be easy with laminate. Also we had Mannington laminate put in my elderly
parents' bathroom 5 years ago. Still looks brand new. That was on a
concrete slab floor. In any case you have to follow manufacturers
instructions which include a vapor barrier under the floor and silicon
around the perimeter of the room to protect the cut edges under the molding
from moisture. The finished interlocking edges are very water resistant in
the current name brand floors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lbbss" wrote in message
I went to a flooring place locally and they said they don't recommend
it. A few years ago I installed laminate in the hall and kitchen.
From that batch, I used a sample and put it in a bucket of water over
night and it did not seam to be affected. Are they some manufacture
that claim to be good for bathroom floors? if so which manufacture or
brand that you know of? thanks.

Art mentioned Mannington:
http://www.mannington.com/residentia...tOverview.aspx

Another major manufacturer:
http://www.armstrong.com/

I would use your telephone, and ONLY your telephone to contact both
companies and see if they recommend certain laminates (and installation
methods) for bathrooms. Commercial kitchens get as much water (and other
slop) on their floors in one day as a home bathroom will see in a lifetime,
and those kitchens don't always use ceramic flooring. One of those companies
should be able to advise you.

Once you have material & installation recommendations, as well as dealer
names, shop for a dealer whose ideas match what the manufacturers told you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

lbbss wrote:
I went to a flooring place locally and they said they don't recommend
it. A few years ago I installed laminate in the hall and kitchen.
From that batch, I used a sample and put it in a bucket of water over
night and it did not seam to be affected. Are they some manufacture
that claim to be good for bathroom floors? if so which manufacture or
brand that you know of? thanks.

But such a simple test isn't the same as years of exposure to various
degrees of moisture in a bathroom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 23, 8:33*am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"lbbss" wrote in message

I went to a flooring place locally and they said they don't recommend
it. * A few years ago I installed laminate in the hall and kitchen.
From that batch, I used a sample and put it in a bucket of water over
night and it did not seam to be affected. * Are they some manufacture
that claim to be good for bathroom floors? *if so which manufacture or
brand that you know of? *thanks.

Art mentioned Mannington:http://www.mannington.com/residentia...tOverview.aspx

Another major manufacturer:http://www.armstrong.com/

I would use your telephone, and ONLY your telephone to contact both
companies and see if they recommend certain laminates (and installation
methods) for bathrooms.

Why the paranoia about only using the telephone? With an email, at
least he'd have a record of the response.

Commercial kitchens get as much water (and other
slop) on their floors in one day as a home bathroom will see in a lifetime,
and those kitchens don't always use ceramic flooring. One of those companies
should be able to advise you.

I've never seen a commercial kitchen with laminate flooring of any
kind, have you?

Once you have material & installation recommendations, as well as dealer
names, shop for a dealer whose ideas match what the manufacturers told you..

Depending on how long one intends to stay in the house, I'd also
consider the effect on re-sale of using a laminate in the bathroom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"lbbss" wrote in message

I went to a flooring place locally and they said they don't recommend
it. A few years ago I installed laminate in the hall and kitchen.
From that batch, I used a sample and put it in a bucket of water over
night and it did not seam to be affected. Are they some manufacture
that claim to be good for bathroom floors? if so which manufacture or
brand that you know of? thanks.

Art mentioned
Mannington:http://www.mannington.com/residentia...tOverview.aspx

Another major manufacturer:http://www.armstrong.com/

I would use your telephone, and ONLY your telephone to contact both
companies and see if they recommend certain laminates (and installation
methods) for bathrooms.

Why the paranoia about only using the telephone? With an email, at
least he'd have a record of the response.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
It's unusual to find a corporation whose people have the attention span to
follow what MIGHT END UP BEING a multi-message email "conversation", and
respond in a timely fashion. It can take days. On the phone, you handle it
all at once.

Why the paranoia about having a record of the response?
+++++++++++++++++++++++

Commercial kitchens get as much water (and other
slop) on their floors in one day as a home bathroom will see in a
lifetime,
and those kitchens don't always use ceramic flooring. One of those
companies
should be able to advise you.

I've never seen a commercial kitchen with laminate flooring of any
kind, have you?

+++++++++++
Yes.
+++++++++++

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 23, 4:55 am, "Art" wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

It is not the material itself, but the fact that water can leak down
between the seams and rot out the underlayment or sub floor.

Isn't the same true of ceramic tile?

No. Well, yes, depending on conditions and/or the skill of the
installer.

Grout absorbs water. I have a 18 inch
diameter hole in my 10 year old house subfloor that was covered with ceramic
tile and plenty of mud that proves my point.

There's more than one 50 year old tiled shower floor still in daily
use of which the grout has not absorbed water and they are still as
watertight as the day after they were grouted that suggest your floor
suffered a breach of the seal.

And, of course, there's building codes, none of which I am aware
prohibit installing ceramic tile as a shower floor, although I guess
the requirement of a watertight shower pan might suggest to some that
grouted tile is insufficient insurance of watertightness.

Still, if I had my heart set on using a laminated wood product in a
bath environment I would adjust my heart to set upon seamless vinyl
that looks like wood instead.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
There are problems with it and people have experienced it. That is
why they have the warning. I don't know if it is still available or if
it every was a good idea, but at least some brands had lines of product
they recommended for those places, but only when the seams were sealed
during installation.

Unless I have very good reason, I certainly would not go against the
manufacturer's recommendations to not use their product under certain
conditions.

I'd never put it in a bathroom (or kitchen), and not just because I hate
the look of fake woodgrain and the hollow feel underfoot. (They all look
like Formica to me, unless they have a Real Wood top layer.) Even if
they HAVE fixed all the waterproofing issues, the stuff still carries a
bad rep from the early days, and that will likely occur to anyone
looking to buy the house.

Bathroom floors should be ceramic, or even a good grade of vinyl.
Properly installed, with the grout seal and caulking at tub edge kept
intact, they will last decades.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

tile is forever and doesnt absorb stains. boys tend to miss the mark
and pee stains bad and is permnanent, besides the issue of rot between
pieces of laminate.

so install whatever you want, and do it again when you realize all
those other folks did actually know what they were talking about

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message

Isn't the same true of ceramic tile? Grout absorbs water. I have a 18
inch diameter hole in my 10 year old house subfloor that was covered with
ceramic tile and plenty of mud that proves my point.

No, and no, it does not prove your point. It only prove you had a lousey
tile job.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

"gpsman" wrote in message
On Mar 23, 4:55 am, "Art" wrote:
[...]

Maybe 50 years ago the installers knew how to put down a waterproof ceramic
floor but in my experience, that is not true today. As for vinyl, I've seen
plenty of vinyl floors with mildew eating thru the vinyl causing permanent
stains. Also vinyl is very difficult to clean. It looks like crap all the
time which is why sales have gone down more than 50% over the last decade.
Laminate has picked up most of the vinyl market share because it looks brand
new year after year. You guys have made me decide to run an experiment. I
will take a couple of laminate panels next week and snap them together and
keep a nice puddle over the seam for a few days and report back as to
whether the water gets thru. I will also work the seam to simulate movement
of the floor normally caused by walking on it. I'll report back.

Some manufacturers recommend that normally snapped together floors be glued
when installed in bathrooms. Others recommend that only for their laminate
square tile products, not for their long plank products.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art wrote:

"gpsman" wrote in message

On Mar 23, 4:55 am, "Art" wrote:

[...]

Hi,
IMO, real issues today with such problem is arising from weak floor. My
first house had T&G plank sub floor and plywood on top and Oak T&G floor
or particle board and vinyl. Do we see thsi kind of floor on new house
they build today? When supporting foundation is not rigid, how can tiles
stay put? No wonder I always had my house custom built to my own spec.
Cost more but lot less chance of trouble/headache in te long run. When I
sold my house(s), it took first or second prospective buyer to sell it.
I guess they know well built house when they see one. House inspection
never picked anything negative.
Posted to alt.home.repair

�You guys have made me decide to run an experiment. �I
will take a couple of laminate panels next week and snap them together and
keep a nice puddle over the seam for a few days and report back as to
whether the water gets thru. I will also work the seam to simulate movement
of the floor normally caused by walking on it. �I'll report back.

in your home bathroom it will be exposed to water for its entire life.

why rush a 3 day test? run your test for a month at least.....

and please report back
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
?You guys have made me decide to run an experiment. ?I
will take a couple of laminate panels next week and snap them together and
keep a nice puddle over the seam for a few days and report back as to
whether the water gets thru. I will also work the seam to simulate
movement
of the floor normally caused by walking on it. ?I'll report back.

in your home bathroom it will be exposed to water for its entire life.

why rush a 3 day test? run your test for a month at least.....

and please report back

How much water are you people talking about, anyway? If your bathroom floor
is exposed to enough water to cause problems ON A REGULAR BASIS, the floor's
not the primary problem. It's the people using the bathroom.

Which brand/model of bathroom ceiling fan would you recommend? Panasonic? W.H.[_2_] Home Repair 15 October 31st 07 02:20 AM
laminate in bathroom Tricia UK diy 4 April 2nd 06 03:13 PM
Bathroom laminate flooring Michael Ray Home Repair 1 April 1st 05 03:03 PM
laminate floor in bathroom longshot Home Repair 2 March 9th 05 01:17 AM
Laminate flooring in bathroom Trevor Smith UK diy 1 January 6th 04 04:58 PM