Drywall on concrete wall?

Old March 15th 08, 12:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall on concrete wall?

Can drywall be attached directly to a concrete basement wall without special
preparation?If not what needs to be done to the concrete surface?

Old March 15th 08, 12:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

JOE wrote:
Can drywall be attached directly to a concrete basement wall without special
preparation?

No.

If not what needs to be done to the concrete surface?

Build the wall out with furring strips or preferably studs.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 15th 08, 12:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

The area in question is at the bottom of the basement stairs and will need
just 2 / 4 x 8 sheets.Because of code requirements I have just enough room
for mounting on the wall.

Old March 15th 08, 02:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 07:26:57 -0400, "JOE" wrote:

Can drywall be attached directly to a concrete basement wall without special
preparation?If not what needs to be done to the concrete surface?

I wouldn't. If I was tight on space I'd mud the wall with a sticky
mortar mix. Work it well and give it a couple coats of paint & it
will look as good and be both cheaper and more durable than sheetrock.
[and it will be fun to watch someone try to hang a picture with a
nail/screw]

Jim
Old March 15th 08, 02:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

JOE wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

JOE wrote:

Can drywall be attached directly to a concrete basement wall without
special
preparation?

No.

If not what needs to be done to the concrete surface?

Build the wall out with furring strips or preferably studs.

The area in question is at the bottom of the basement stairs and will

need
just 2 / 4 x 8 sheets.Because of code requirements I have just enough

room
for mounting on the wall.

If it's an outside wall, forget it. If it's an inside wall, I'm not
sure what you could do, but I'm imagining you would need to look at a
material other than drywall - maybe a skim coat of plaster directly on
the concrete?

nate

Old March 15th 08, 03:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "JOE" wrote:
The area in question is at the bottom of the basement stairs and will need
just 2 / 4 x 8 sheets.Because of code requirements I have just enough room
for mounting on the wall.

What "code requirements" force you to mount it directly on the wall?

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
JOE wrote:
Can drywall be attached directly to a concrete basement wall without
special
preparation?

No.

If not what needs to be done to the concrete surface?

Build the wall out with furring strips or preferably studs.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

--
Regards,

Old March 15th 08, 03:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "JOE"
wrote:
The area in question is at the bottom of the basement stairs and
will need just 2 / 4 x 8 sheets.Because of code requirements I have
just enough room for mounting on the wall.

What "code requirements" force you to mount it directly on the wall?

They probably are concerned about an underground, concrete wall being
subjected to fire. Drywall will provide 30 minutes of flame retardation
allowing the folks to escape.

It's for the children.

I'd put up insulating foam boards, texture it, and paint.

Who could tell?

Old March 15th 08, 05:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

what code won't allow for a 1" furring strip?

Old March 15th 08, 08:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

It's for the children.

I'd put up insulating foam boards, texture it, and paint.

Who could tell?

Wouldn't exposed foam be a big fire hazard? Probably very illegal.

Old March 15th 08, 08:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"JOE" wrote in message
Can drywall be attached directly to a concrete basement wall without
special
preparation?If not what needs to be done to the concrete surface?

Sure it can in a small area like that...As long as there are NO water
leaks...You just need to use the new Mold Resistant sheetrock like GP Brand
DensArmor or USG Brand FiberRoc AquaTough..Attach with PL 100 Drywall
Adhesive and tempory bracing....There is also sheetrock rated for outside
use and is usually used in commercial applications for fire rating....You
could check a drywall supply company for speciality sheetrock and
advice...Good luck...