Adding Water to Geothermal Loop

Old March 13th 08, 03:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding Water to Geothermal Loop

What is involved in adding water to my geothermal loop?

Can I just hook up a garden hose or do I need to have instruments
involved gauging pressure etc.?

I have seen it done both ways by heat/air professionals.

Thanks in advance.

Brett
Old March 13th 08, 03:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

12oon wrote:
What is involved in adding water to my geothermal loop?

Can I just hook up a garden hose or do I need to have instruments
involved gauging pressure etc.?

I have seen it done both ways by heat/air professionals.

First, why would/do you need to add? There should be no need w/o a leak
so first need to find out where it's going.

Also, it's a glycol or other anti-freeze solution along w/ some other
conditioners so depending on how much, need appropriate additive(s) to
maintain proper freeze point, lubricity, corrosion inhibitors, etc., ...

IOW, its more than just adding tap water.

Old March 13th 08, 04:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

--

Yes, I believe there is a leak. It seems it has to topped off every
year.

The HVAC pros have never added any additive. I live in OK by the way.

I'm just trying to learn as much as possible about the unit.
Old March 13th 08, 05:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

12oon wrote:

Yes, I believe there is a leak. It seems it has to topped off every
year.

Needless to say, that ain't right although if it is still small may limp
by but I'd expect a catastrophic failure down the road at some time.

The HVAC pros have never added any additive. I live in OK by the way.

Just because "the pros" haven't added anything doesn't mean they
shouldn't have done...

I'm just trying to learn as much as possible about the unit.

What make/age? -- the Water Furnace we had in TN had a 20 or 25 year
warranty on the loop so I would have simply called the installer and
said "fix it". Is this buried horizontal loop, deep/well loop,
submerged pond/lake loop??? Who did the installation--these same folks
or somebody else?

Old March 14th 08, 02:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Bubba wrote:

You are giving out incorrect info. Most geothermal systems will
require being re-pressurized after about 1 year. ...

No, as you go on to say, as OP says, if the system needs re-filling
every year, there's a problem...

The Water Furnace system in 10 years never needed re-pressurizing.