Posted to alt.home.repair

Default why are there holes in electric plug prongs?

Not technically a home repair topic, but:

Do the holes in the prongs of an electric plug serve any purpose? If so,
what is that purpose?
Thanks for any information.
--
alan
(just curious)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"*alan*" wrote in message
et...
Not technically a home repair topic, but:

Do the holes in the prongs of an electric plug serve any purpose? If so,
what is that purpose?
Thanks for any information.
--
alan
(just curious)

Why is there never a plug historian around when we need one?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"*alan*" wrote in message
et...
Not technically a home repair topic, but:

Do the holes in the prongs of an electric plug serve any purpose? If so,
what is that purpose?
Thanks for any information.
--
alan
(just curious)

Why is there never a plug historian around when we need one?

I'm confident that one will come to the rescue ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Mar 6, 10:14*pm, "*alan*" wrote:
Not technically a home repair topic, but:

Do the holes in the prongs of an electric plug serve any purpose? *If so,
what is that purpose?
Thanks for any information.
--
alan
(just curious)

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question301.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

*alan* wrote:
Not technically a home repair topic, but:

Do the holes in the prongs of an electric plug serve any purpose? If
so, what is that purpose?
Thanks for any information.
--
alan
(just curious)

Hi,
When you plug it in it mates with dimpled tab to make secure contacts.
If in double break apart a receptacle(only couple dollars a piece) and
see for yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

come on now, lets tell alan the truth...it's so you can
snip off the grounding plug, and then its easier to snip
through the blade, cause it's usually the larger one, then
you can plug it into a 2 prong nongrounded plug........
your welcome

"*alan*" wrote in message
et...
Not technically a home repair topic, but:

Do the holes in the prongs of an electric plug serve any purpose? If so,
what is that purpose?
Thanks for any information.
--
alan
(just curious)

Posted to alt.home.repair

*alan* writes:

Do the holes in the prongs of an electric plug serve any purpose?

Also if the device being powered is shorted, when you insert the plug into
an outlet, the narrower conductor around the hole tends to melt off (pow!)
before you can insert the plug all the way. I don't know that this is by
design, but it is a beneficial aspect.
Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

Do the holes in the prongs of an electric plug serve any purpose? If
so, what is that purpose?
Thanks for any information.

When you plug it in it mates with dimpled tab to make secure contacts.
If in double break apart a receptacle(only couple dollars a piece) and
see for yourself.

The Straight Dope addressed this question, and there seems to be no one simple
answer:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_389.html

Just for the record, I just dismantled two outlets, one inexpensive one and the
other a high end commercial quality Decora... no dimpled tab in either, just
flat copper strips.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Mar 6, 8:28*pm, jim wrote:
On Mar 6, 10:14*pm, "*alan*" wrote:

Not technically a home repair topic, but:

Do the holes in the prongs of an electric plug serve any purpose? *If so,
what is that purpose?
Thanks for any information.
--
alan
(just curious)

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question301.htm

i've taken a few outlets apart, although never on purpose, and never
found any detents on the contacts inside, even though I always figured
that's what the holes were for.
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Mar 7, 2:14*pm, (DT) wrote:

Just for the record, I just dismantled two outlets, one inexpensive one and the
other a high end commercial quality Decora... no dimpled tab in either, just
flat copper strips.

--
Dennis

right! that's what i just posted! and god knows we've all had problems
with plugs falling out of old sockets, or coming loose from just a
minor bump. or is that just me?
Posted to alt.home.repair

*alan* wrote:
Not technically a home repair topic, but:

Do the holes in the prongs of an electric plug serve any purpose? If
so, what is that purpose?
Thanks for any information.
--
alan
(just curious)

I always figgered those holes were there so that in a pinch you could
make an erzatz extension cord out of a length of 14 gage Romex.

The holes in the plug blades makes it easier to crimp the stripped solid
wires onto them, and then you just make narrow U-bends in the stripped
other ends, pound them flat, and jam them into the two slots of a
receptical.

Jeff (Never believe everything I say G)

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 01:14:18 GMT, "*alan*"
wrote:

Not technically a home repair topic, but:

Do the holes in the prongs of an electric plug serve any purpose? If so,
what is that purpose?
Thanks for any information.

I have one extension cord that uses those holes to lock the plug in
place.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.comi
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Not technically a home repair topic, but:

Do the holes in the prongs of an electric plug serve any purpose? If so,
what is that purpose?
Thanks for any information.

They are there to help the roaches rappel down to lower floors.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 13:14:33 -0600, (DT)
wrote:

Do the holes in the prongs of an electric plug serve any purpose? If
so, what is that purpose?
Thanks for any information.

When you plug it in it mates with dimpled tab to make secure contacts.
If in double break apart a receptacle(only couple dollars a piece) and
see for yourself.

The Straight Dope addressed this question, and there seems to be no one simple
answer:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_389.html

I think it's because putting holes in things make them stronger, like
the guy said. Look at the George Washington Bridge in NYC. It has
loads of holes and look at how strong it is.

Just for the record, I just dismantled two outlets, one inexpensive one and the
other a high end commercial quality Decora... no dimpled tab in either, just
flat copper strips.

I have a related question. Why are some prongs solid, others are
folded over with each layer totally flat against the other, and still
others are foled over but have one side freely attached and springy.

The third kinds seems the best.

But sometimes with the second type, I force the two layers apart so
the plug will stay in the outlet better.

Why don't they make this easier to do?

Will I cut my finger off?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Not technically a home repair topic, but:

Do the holes in the prongs of an electric plug serve any purpose? If so,
what is that purpose?
Thanks for any information.

Those are called Wonders. Ever wonder what they were for?

Like scratching your ass, if your finger don't stink, it's a wonder!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_389.html

I can tell you this has been around a lot longer than the 20 years
Cecil discussed. I have an old, big, tube radio for the 40s with the
original equipment plug and it has the holes.
Posted to alt.home.repair
GWB GWB is offline

Saves copper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 17:26:27 -0600, GWB wrote:

Saves copper.

Voted best answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

GWB wrote:
Saves copper.

Is there yellow copper?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 00:53:07 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

GWB wrote:
Saves copper.

Is there yellow copper?

Sure. Haven't you seen all those teen movies from the 50's where the
hoodlum yelss, Are you yellow, copper?
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to mm :
wrote:

When you plug it in it mates with dimpled tab to make secure contacts.
If in double break apart a receptacle(only couple dollars a piece) and
see for yourself.

The Straight Dope addressed this question, and there seems to be no one simple
answer:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_389.html

The straight dope piece seems to have gotten it right - about
it _used_ to be necessary with old outlets that didn't grip so well,
the pins could interlock into buttons on the tabs. So, it used to have
a reason, and now it's probably they can't figure out why they're
there, so it's easier to stay that way ;-)

I think it's because putting holes in things make them stronger, like
the guy said. Look at the George Washington Bridge in NYC. It has
loads of holes and look at how strong it is.

Nope.

Punching holes in metal structures does not make them stronger. In
fact, it makes them somewhat weaker than equivalently sized solid
structures. The reason punching holes (or leaving it out altogether
such as in trusses) it is to make it _lighter_.

They're aiming for the rigidity implied by the larger cross-section,
without some of the added weight.

Just for the record, I just dismantled two outlets, one inexpensive one

and the
other a high end commercial quality Decora... no dimpled tab in either, just
flat copper strips.

I have a related question. Why are some prongs solid, others are
folded over with each layer totally flat against the other, and still
others are foled over but have one side freely attached and springy.

The third kinds seems the best.

The only ones of the third kind I've seen have been folded types that
wore so badly that the join (at the tip) is gone. Or were clipped.
The temptation for one to go sideways is too high.

As to why some are folded and some are solid - different manufacturing
processes.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

z wrote:
On Mar 6, 8:28 pm, jim wrote:
On Mar 6, 10:14 pm, "*alan*" wrote:

Not technically a home repair topic, but:
Do the holes in the prongs of an electric plug serve any purpose? If so,
what is that purpose?
Thanks for any information.
--
alan
(just curious)

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question301.htm

i've taken a few outlets apart, although never on purpose, and never
found any detents on the contacts inside, even though I always figured
that's what the holes were for.

I just took apart an old 2 hole outlet that I had in my junk box
(polarized but ungrounded). This one actually has screws to hold the
thing together. This outlet DID have the detent 'nubs'. I don't know
about newer outlets but this one only has contact strips on one side of
each prong.
Kevin